Former UNT head coach Harry Miller passes away

NT03

Harry Miller was another bad hire by NT. He was a slow down, run plays type coach who was hired after the "run and gun" Spika ( who I still think was the best bb coach NT has had in my time).

He left the program in a lurch after one year to take the job at Wichita State. Hate to hear of him passing but he didn't do NT any favors.

• Upvote 1

I did a sign for the old pit when Harry and his new team (Wichita State) came to Denton for a conference game. The sign said 'This will be a thriller, despite Harry Miller.' His Wichita players laughed at the sign.

• Upvote 2

Harry Miller was another bad hire by NT. He was a slow down, run plays type coach who was hired after the "run and gun" Spika ( who I still think was the best bb coach NT has had in my time).

He left the program in a lurch after one year to take the job at Wichita State. Hate to hear of him passing but he didn't do NT any favors.

Agree on your thoughts about Spika. Maybe our best coach ever. Either he or Blakeley; I would put Johnny third. Spika went 18-8 when we were in one of the strongest conferences, the Missouri Valley. He left too soon.

I vote Blakeley .... but Spika was facing better competition.... the MVC.... the best basketball conference in America at the time...Spika may have been better..... UCLA and various teams may been been better but the MVC was the toughest end to end. The ACC was still all-white and not even close really as a conference, but some teams were.. At one time in my senior year 5 of the top 10 were MVC teams . I don't even remember Miller.. just remember some down years then. Houston was by far the best in Texas in Miller era.

• Upvote 2