Critique from CBSSPORTS.COM

Green Dog

*DEDICATED TO THE PLAYERS' APOLOGISTS.

LINK TO ENTIRE ARTICLE

NORTH TEXAS: The Mean Green were supposed to run through the Sun Belt. Instead, North Texas is just 8-16 overall and 3-10 in league play. It hasn't been pretty for rookie coach Tony Benford, who took over for Johnny Jones.

• Injuries: Starting point guard Chris Jones is out for the season after playing just 13 games and fellow starter Alzee Williams has also missed time due to injury. However, these guys were struggling even with both of these guys in the lineup.

• Tony Mitchell: He disappears too often and doesn't consistently play hard. One coach in the league said that the one-time projected lottery pick's skill set "hasn't improved much and his motor doesn't run." In one loss against FIU, Mitchell was held scoreless in 32 minutes and only took three shots.

• Need more skill guys: Benford inherited an athletic group, but there is a lack of skill on the team. "These guys don't have much game,"one league coach said. "It's just random dudes that don't complement one another."

• Change in leadership: Going from Jones to Benford has taken time. Jones gave the guys more freedom, and this group is still getting adjusted to Benford's approach.

Edited by Green Dog
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

*DEDICATED TO THE PLAYERS' APOLOGISTS.

LINK TO ENTIRE ARTICLE

NORTH TEXAS: The Mean Green were supposed to run through the Sun Belt. Instead, North Texas is just 8-16 overall and 3-10 in league play. It hasn't been pretty for rookie coach Tony Benford, who took over for Johnny Jones.

Injuries: Starting point guard Chris Jones is out for the season after playing just 13 games and fellow starter Alzee Williams has also missed time due to injury. However, these guys were struggling even with both of these guys in the lineup.

Tony Mitchell: He disappears too often and doesn't consistently play hard. One coach in the league said that the one-time projected lottery pick's skill set "hasn't improved much and his motor doesn't run." In one loss against FIU, Mitchell was held scoreless in 32 minutes and only took three shots.

Need more skill guys: Benford inherited an athletic group, but there is a lack of skill on the team. "These guys don't have much game,"one league coach said. "It's just random dudes that don't complement one another."

Change in leadership: Going from Jones to Benford has taken time. Jones gave the guys more freedom, and this group is still getting adjusted to Benford's approach.

If you don't understand that your entire post reflects extremely negatively on the head coach of UNT basketball, you just don't understand the role of a coach.

Choose to Blame 18-20 year old kids if you want, but next years 18-20 year olds will have less natural ability and the same guy will probably be tasked with motivating them.

Disaster.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 9
  • Downvote 3

Any intelligent who knows a darn about basketball could have told you this. But of course we have people like emmit and nt90 who have an extensive resume and knowledge of basketball. Why listen to an NBA scout, shwan Marion, another coach, or any one else... Just listen to these talking heads here on the mean green boards. They can use all the asinine metaphors of baking cookies they want. Their basketball iq is on par with Shawn Bradley's athleticism.

Did you learn how to spin things from Baghdad Bob? At this point, I am starting to believe you post on this board just to troll. Defending Benford's coaching ability all season is what most people would call "low basketball IQ". You will get your chance to be proven right, in regard to Benford, since he will be back again, but to me, that shows a low basketball IQ by the BOR and the AD. Actually it shows a low basketball commitment by the BOR and the AD, but that's nothing new. I will say this--you are the perfect fan for the BOR and administration here.

• Upvote 5

Any intelligent who knows a darn about basketball could have told you this. But of course we have people like emmit and nt90 who have an extensive resume and knowledge of basketball. Why listen to an NBA scout, shwan Marion, another coach, or any one else... Just listen to these talking heads here on the mean green boards. They can use all the asinine metaphors of baking cookies they want. Their basketball iq is on par with Shawn Bradley's athleticism.

Just curious here but didn't your basketball IQ take a huge hit when you said a 2-3 zone was used to defend the 3 point shot?

• Upvote 2

Just curious here but didn't your basketball IQ take a huge hit when you said a 2-3 zone was used to defend the 3 point shot?

...? When did I ever say that. Typically it does not but I guess it depends on how you run it or what you consider a 2-3. So not sure. Bu thanks for trying to out me down to make yourself better. What ever it takes. I just want this team to tuen it around. It is not that much to ask.

...? When did I ever say that. Typically it does not but I guess it depends on how you run it or what you consider a 2-3. So not sure. Bu thanks for trying to out me down to make yourself better. What ever it takes. I just want this team to tuen it around. It is not that much to ask.

If you're going to distance from personality A, don't use personality A's same defense of the point while masquerading as personality B. That's LoveMG 101, dawg.

• Upvote 2

calvin" post=1360761135"]Just curious here but didn't your basketball IQ take a huge hit when you said a 2-3 zone was used to defend the 3 point shot?

Syracuse runs a 2-3 zone every time dowm. They rank no. 8 in 3 point defense. Maybe it is someone else's IQ taking a hit. Boeheim sucks as a coach. He probably won't last, oh, I don't know, maybe another 30 years. That zone will never work. Teams are tearing him up shooting 28 percent on 3s in that zone. It's like he plays NT every night.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

calvin" post=1360761135"]Just curious here but didn't your basketball IQ take a huge hit when you said a 2-3 zone was used to defend the 3 point shot?

Syracuse runs a 2-3 zone every time dowm. They rank no. 8 in 3 point defense. Maybe it is someone else's IQ taking a hit. Boeheim sucks as a coach. He probably won't last, oh, I don't know, maybe another 30 years. That zone will never work. Teams are tearing him up shooting 28 percent on 3s in that zone. It's like he plays NT every night.

Never mind the fact that all Syracuse runs is 2-3 and they recruit athletic big guys who can run it and run it well by matching up with people and trapping people and making it hard on anybody they play because of their length. Also because you have to be patient against their zone it often times forces other teams to take bad 3's because of their length. But what do I know. I don't talk to players or don't play at the rec to get inside info to enhance my IQ.

But ask anybody other than Syracuse about a 2-3 and they will tell you that you are going to give up open outside shots.

• Upvote 1

I wasn't try to bash you or make myself feel better, I was just asking you a question since you like to attack people's basketball IQ quite often. And you are the one that brought up running a 2-3 to defend the 3 point shot which makes us question your IQ.

I wasn't try to bash you or make myself feel better, I was just asking you a question since you like to attack people's basketball IQ quite often. And you are the one that brought up running a 2-3 to defend the 3 point shot which makes us question your IQ.

I guess I am confused as to when I did that. Anyway I will post in the Monroe thread now. We need a W

I think people have forgotten that you were referencing the 3-2, not the 2-3.

The point of many zones is to lock down the three!!!!!

Try the 1-2-2... which is essentially a modified 3-2 zone only it closes out on the perimeter a bit more. The only way to really break it down is from the corners or more likely then not the baseline. You can break it down from the baseline and have the option to kick it out but if you have any sort of decent athlete on your team they are going to adjust and bounce back up top. Its lime throwing the ball across the court. It gives your D plenty of time to re-adjust. How does that not make sense because I guarantee to any coach it would. It just just not Johnny's philosophy. He has always been a man to man style coach. And there is no problem with that. But a simple zone would really close out on a lot of perimeter shooters and force them to attack the basket more. Man to man

is far to easy to break down in a simple pick and pop or flex offense.

Here are some of your other gems, to quote a few:

LSU might as well be 6-9 and not beating a single solid team. Johhny can recruit though and next year I think yall be much better off. It takes teams time to get use to a new coach and his system.

JJ let the players run their street ball system which is fun to watch and can dominate the sunbelt, but never win against teams like Creighton or Lehigh.

You never lose eligibility... You have to play four years... It does not matter ifnyou re 24 or 44. I could care less what you think. I have seen the paper work from the NCAA.

Chances we are good enough to be a top 25 team but not get recognized... 100 percent.

• Upvote 3