2013 Recruiting Home Stretch

CurveItAround

As we enter the last 4-5 weeks of recruiting, I thought it might be helpful to summarize where we are based on all the prior posts and announcements. Please speak up if you see something that is incorrect.

Coach Mac mentioned in one of his end of season press conferences that he is planning to target a certain number of recruits at each position in addition to the transfers he already has lined up.

Based on the early verbal commitments from the summer, plus the recent JUCO signing period, we have 10 HS players that have given verbal commitments plus the 4 JUCO signees. Here is a link to ESPN that lists 13 of these players (ESPN list is missing juco signee, Quentin Brown, DE, 6'3" 230, and HS verbal Sergio Medina, DB, 6'0" 210)

ESPN link: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/school/_/id/249/north-texas

Assuming the recruits follow through on their verbal commitments and sign in February, so far we have:

0 ATH - goal of 2

5 OL - goal of 4-5

1 DL - goal of 3

3 LB - goal of 3

2 WR - goal of 3-4

1 QB - goal of 1

3 DB - goal of 3-4

0 RB - goal of 0

------------------------

15 - goal of 20-21

In addition to the HS/JUCO recruiting, we have the following transfers

Darius Terrell, WR

Reggie Pegram, RB

Brock Berglund, QB

Carl Caldwell, WR (xfer, but not sure if receiving scholly)

Zed Evans, DB (xfer, but not sure if receiving scholly)

Any other transfers we know about??

Plus, we had two players that were gray shirted out of the 2012 class. Not sure if they are still around and if they will enroll full time and receive their scholarship in the spring, but if they do receive scholarship, they will count against our limit of 25.

Andrew Tucker, RB

Christian Hines, WR

If the numbers are all correct, it looks like we are still looking for a couple of D linemen, a couple of athletes, and 1-2 WRs/DBs. Here's hoping that as the music starts stopping in the next few weeks, we can shake out several 3 star recruits when they realize the power conference scholarship isn't going to materialize.

edit: added Medina

Edited by CurveItAround
  • Upvote 2

First off let me say thanks for the breakdown Curve! :worthy: I love these types of lists and as we inch nearer to signing day they become very important! :sneaky:

Here's my updated signing list which includes the transfers:

I included James Jones as a dual DB/athlete although I think they will want him to focus at corner. He has athlete type of tools however.

I think we likely have around 4 spots left (just my guess). Here's my wish list on the 4: 1). I want one 6-4 guy that has frame for size and wheels. Can play either TE or DE. 2). I want one speedy, three skill athlete that can help us on either offense, defense or special teams. 3). I want one badass defensive nosetackle, who was extremely productive in high school but not necessarily the tallest guy just mean and quick. 4). I want to reserve one spot for two big time talents at any position who fall through the cracks due to late qualifying etc... think Cody Spencer etc here.

My three overall criteria in order are 1). Speed 2). Size 3). Level of competition. The first two are self explanatory, but on the third -- I think there are a ton of really good 5A and 4A players on bad teams that get overlooked in this process. I want guys that were productive against the top 5A and 4A talent in the state. Guys with a chip on their shoulder and something to prove!

Thanks for updating your list Harry. I was somehow overlooking that list and didn't realize you had already put this information together. Thanks for the reminder link.

What about the gray shirts from last year, Tucker and Hines? Do we know if they are going to enroll/sign?

Edited by CurveItAround
  • Upvote 1

What's the thought at WR?

I ask because A WR from Colleyville Heritage received some interest in the fall from UNT coaches.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/499311/nathan-crouch

He is a late bloomer that didn't receive significant playing time until switching to WR as a senior. Finished the season with over 1,000 yards and led team in TD catches. Also up over 6'3" now and has really grown since his sophomore year.

And yes I know the kid that's why I'm asking. Just curious how some people that have a good grasp on UNT's recruiting think the class will shape up at WR.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for updating your list Harry. I was somehow overlooking that list and didn't realize you had already put this information together. Thanks for the reminder link.

What about the gray shirts from last year, Tucker and Hines? Do we know if they are going to enroll/sign?

To my knowledge they are, and I should probably update the list to reflect that...

Man, we have a lot of new faces coming into this program this year! Should be fun.

Using Harry's recruiting list as a guide and adding the 2 grayshirts (Tucker - RB and Hines - WR):

So far in this class we have:

2 - QB

5 - DB

5 - OL

4 - WR

3 - LB

2 - RB

1 - DL

---------

If we keep all of our commits, it looks like we are probably down to adding 2 more D linemen plus 1 other (hopefully a big/fast/strong ATH type).

Edited by CurveItAround
  • Upvote 2

Expounding on CurveItAround's cool analysis...

If you add the commits to those underclassmen currently on the roster (including walk-ons) you get a total of 108 players at the following positions:

5 - QB

9 - RB

16 - WR

6 - TE

18 - OL

7 - DE

8 - DT

14 - LB

22 - DB

1 - P

2 - PK

Now the breakdown including returning scholarship players and commits less walk-ons (83 total):

4 - QB

6 - RB

10 - WR

4 - TE

16 - OL

7 - DE

7 - DT

11 - LB

16 - DB

1 - P

1 - PK

* if you are trying to check my math, please note that I made my own assumptions on walk-ons and removed guys on the roster that we know are gone (Sampson, Stock) and made positional changes still not showing on the roster like Austin Orr and Lincoln showing up as DT instead of DE etc...

What strikes me is how few seniors we had period last season...wow..this is a young team.

We have around 15 walk-ons.

With 16 scholarship DB's and Oline there will be some battles there this spring.

With 83 scholarship players we are getting very close to that magic 85 which is great.

Any idea of position moves on defense like DB's to LB, LB's to DL, offense to defense or vice versa?

I seem to remember J Roberts moving to DE and am curious about M Thompson moving back to DT since he was recruited to that position. TCU had a lot of success with this process and wondered if we would do the same.

• Upvote 2

Thompson's name has come up a couple of times about switching back to DT. If he is capable, it certainly would add some size.

This brings up a question. Why aren't more offensive guards converted to DT? There are way more kids that are 6'4", 275lbs+ that are listed as OL than there are DT's listed with that same size. Is the transition really that difficult? It would seem that size and strength would be the biggest prerequisite, rather that where you played a couple of years in high school. Maybe we could recruit a couple of offensive guards and teach them how to play DT?

Thompson's name has come up a couple of times about switching back to DT. If he is capable, it certainly would add some size.

This brings up a question. Why aren't more offensive guards converted to DT? There are way more kids that are 6'4", 275lbs+ that are listed as OL than there are DT's listed with that same size. Is the transition really that difficult? It would seem that size and strength would be the biggest prerequisite, rather that where you played a couple of years in high school. Maybe we could recruit a couple of offensive guards and teach them how to play DT?

That is an interesting idea. Would love to hear a coach's opinion on this topic.