Sleeping Giant

H-towngreen

I think we are frozen at the cryogenics lab

I love NT fans. The university puts $80M into a new stadium, no telling how much into an athletic complex, hires actual Division I coaching staffs, & moves up from a basement-level conference to a respectable mid-level cUSA and still we indulge ourselves with whining and weeping.

Our university is progressing just fine. Our athletics will be just fine. Neither is asleep, neither is moribund, we just have a few fans who are incapable of seeing a glass as half-full. Nor can they see the pitcher poised to fill that glass to over-flowing.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Sleeping giant is an overused cliche when applied to NT. Rip Van Winkle's snooze was a nap compared to NT's slumber

NT has not fully awakened but at long last it is at least stirring. The recent investments in college athletes have at least put NT in the same financial arena has most CUSA teams and that is definitely progress. In football, NT made the commitment to get an experienced coaching staff. Whether McCarney is the one to lead NT to a new football plateau is to be determined. If he is, great if he is not than NT hires someone else with at least a better foundation established.

Our athletics will be just fine. Neither is asleep, neither is moribund, we just have a few fans who are incapable of seeing a glass as half-full. Nor can they see the pitcher poised to fill that glass to over-flowing.

Talk about your rose colored glasses.

If you think this is fine, I would hate to see what you think is actually bad.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

the real problem is at this point there are 2 programs in the DFW area and at least 6 or 7 in Texas that could take the coach that makes the "giant awake" in a heart beat and it is right back to square one

Which is what has happened at UH with Briles and Sumlin. This year, UH will at-best finish 5-7.

I think that if we sustained the same level of relative success as UH over the past decade, we'd be able to drop 1-2 Mill per on a coach, too. Winning solves a lot of what ails us. But I operate mostly on emotion and feelings rather than facts and rational thought.

We might be better-suited for long-term success as a football power than UH. Denton is a college town. Houston is not. Houston won't ever shake the commuter stigma and North Texas has made TREMENDOUS strides in that area in the past decade. Sure, Houston has history on it's side. It has Heisman winners. It's been ranked in the top-five. They've had big wins over big programs. Yet here they stand, on their way to a shaky conference (that no one in this state gives a damn about) after another coach has left for a better job down the road. All of that success hasn't translated into anything of note.

Yet we haven't any idea how it would affect NT because quite frankly, it's never happened. Sure the Sun Belt titles were great, but casual fans thought that was a 1AA conference during most of that time. We were never ranked. We never beat a ranked team.

We really haven't done anything in the same time period that UH has done a lot, and yet we're still viewed as "peer" athletic programs. I think that is significant.

Denton is far enough away from the "big city" that a true college experience- the one we romanticize- can still be found. And if this drugged-up giant ever awakes, it will be a lot of fun to see what happens.

Edited by Eagle1855
  • Upvote 1

I love NT fans. The university puts $80M into a new stadium, no telling how much into an athletic complex, hires actual Division I coaching staffs, & moves up from a basement-level conference to a respectable mid-level cUSA and still we indulge ourselves with whining and weeping.

Our university is progressing just fine. Our athletics will be just fine. Neither is asleep, neither is moribund, we just have a few fans who are incapable of seeing a glass as half-full. Nor can they see the pitcher poised to fill that glass to over-flowing.

I like as heck!! this is what's up man!! Go Mean F Green!!