Tony Mitchell - All-American?

You know, the more I see Tony Mitchell's name come up in the media, it is starting to be tagged with something like "Potential All-American", or "Sleeper for All-American honors".

I hope this thread doesn't delve into the depths of the perpetual Athletic-Department-isn't-doing-enough argument, but I would love to know what is being done to help get Tony on the All-American voters' radars more than he already is.

I know that it mostly boils down to how he plays, but I'm really confident in what he does on the court... Off the court, he seems like an awesome dude as well. No character issues, humble, overall great guy.

I know the fans have a small part in pumping him up (maybe some signs from our favorite signmaker ladies), and I certainly hope that the AD has earmarked some funds to Tony's All-American campaign. But, since Tony made the best decision of his career coming to little ol' North Texas, he waved his chances at playing on national TV all the time, so the media won't really get a chance to see him.

I think his best chances of making an All-American squad would be for UNT to make it to at least the finals of the preseason NIT, beat at least 1 out of the 3 big non-conference matchups outside of the preseason NIT tourney (Lehigh, St Louis, Creighton), and finally, win a regular-season SBC championship (plus the SBC tourney) with a nice seed in the NCAA tourney to possibly upset someone and make noise (else win, or at least quarterfinal/semifinal in the postseason NIT).

I think he can do it, because I think this TEAM can do it!

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 2

I'm thinking he comes out for the first home game in Apollo Creed's outfit in the original Rocky, with James Brown's "living in America" being played by the basketball band (not over the crappy PA system).

He could point, Apollo Creed-like, to a huge sign in the student section that says "Tony Mitchell for All-American" and yell as loud as he can "I want you!!!"

Then he could rip off the Uncle Sam-like outfit to expose his UNT uniform.

Release that bit of video to ESPN, and you have an instant Sportscenter classic moment.

Edit: if life imitates art, he wins All-American honors by a split decision.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

I'm thinking he comes out for the first home game in Apollo Creed's outfit in the original Rocky, with James Brown's "living in America" being played by the basketball band (not over the crappy PA system).

He could point, Apollo Creed-like, to a huge sign in the student section that says "Tony Mitchell for All-American" and yell as loud as he can "I want you!!!"

Release that bit of video to ESPN, and you have an instant Sportscenter classic moment.

Pure genius!!! I love this idea. It will never happen but it should. I like the way your mind thinks.

i'm not a showmanship person, but this is awesome!!!

• Upvote 1

This is one of my favorite posts of all time!

The edit is just so clever.

• Upvote 1

Let's hope Ivan Drago doesn't come out and kill him after the performance.

• Upvote 2

Let's hope Ivan Drago doesn't come out and kill him after the performance.

Wrong Rocky. The only thing used from Rocky IV is the James Brown song (used to keep the All-American theme going). Everything else is from the original Rocky.

Edit: Apollo Creed wore the Uncle Sam outfit in both Rocky and Rocky IV, but the first one takes precedent.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Your best. post. evah.

Glad I was at home today because I was laughing out loud here. +1!!!11!!!

• Upvote 1

Hell, we could even throw in a smoke machine and have the dance team dress in matching Uncle Sam unis. Make them velcro for both the dancers and Tony, and have the Rip them off at the same time, with the dance team wearing something green, with Mitchells number and "All-American" where the name "Mitchell" would be.

Of course, they damn sure couldn't buy these in any university sponsored store!!!

But I digress.

Now, if we could just teach TM how to dance like Apollo Creed, or, just maybe, he already can...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Hell, we could even throw in a smoke machine

Don't we already use something like this? I'm always a few minutes late to every game so I wasn't sure.

*lordy, getting young kids ready to go to games is beat down, but I digress*

A follow up question - I remember a reason why we could not dim the lights in the SuperPit was due to not having hand rails. Can rectify that and get some hand rails? Is that in our 3 mil budget? If not it should be.