Welcome new member UTSA Paratrooper 04

Harry

I think think the Alamodome IS a long term solution for the Roadrunners. Im not a fan of playing in off campus stadiums but for UTSA it works. Being downtown and next to the Riverwalk gives them a central location for the entire city, They are the only game in town so it works for them.

It will be decades before they would be in a position to build a stadium that offers what the Alamodome does

...and yes, they sell beer.

Edited by Baby Arm!
  • Upvote 1

:lolu: Do all of your fans justify this win as any kind of quality win in the same way you just did?

Most times it's not necessary to have to explain in detail the challenges of a new program and what can be considered a success considering the circumstances. I felt it was necessary to today.

I count 21 upperclassman on your roster, must've had a lot of tranfers this summer

The majority of the starters last year were freshman. The majority of the starters this year are sophomores.

Here is the latest depth chart: http://www.goutsa.com/fls/13100/pdf_files/football/2012/depth_chart.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=13100

1) Is the Alamodome the long term plan for a venue and

2) Do y'all sell beer in the stadium?

Great questions.

We have signed a contract till 2035 to be in the Alamodome. The majority of the fans are very happy with it. It is centrally located in the city which is a valuable asset in making the games accessible to our growing fan base. Additionally, it is a great location for our visiting guests that would also like to visit the Riverwalk, Alamo and other attractions.

Yes, the Alamodome sells beer. The hawkers sell the metal bottles….freakin’ cold!

UTSA is scheduling appropriately for their program. Smart, even. They've got home games this year vs. McNeese, A&M-Commerce, and Texas State. That will help keep their attendance up by 1) Giving them a winnable slate and 2) giving them regional opponents with nearby alumni. Add to the fact that they are the only game in town, and there's no reason not to expect some measure of success in short order for the program.

I wish our Athletic Dept would do a KFC-like promotion to fill up our wing section!

I think the Texas State game will allow you to keep your average over 30k this year. After that who knows? You wont have the Bobcats on the schedule next year.

The newness may be wearing off as your opening day crowd was almost 50% less than the previous year, but that could be expected. I think you're gonna see your average crowds in the 20-30k range here on out.

Comparing UNT vs UTSA attendance really isn't apples to apples. At UNT we have to compete for the sports dollar of the casual fan with the following:

NFL

NASCAR

2 other FBS programs

MLB

NBA

MLB

at UTSA you only have to compete against the Spurs

Besided UTSA and the Spurs we have:

Silver Stars basketball (ladies)

Missions baseball

Rampage hockey

Talons arena football

Scorpions soccer

Hopefully this does not come off as condescening. As a UNT fan since the Dodge era I can ask these questions:

How much, if at all, will UTSA attendance dip next year when UNT, Southern Miss, LaTech, etc... walk over you?

I'm sure it would dip if that happened. Probably something really embarrassingly low like 28,075.

But, I'm sure it wouldn't go lower than that. With 13K season ticket holders and 10K students, 5k buckets of chicken and a few gameday sales...we'll be ok.

Just curious…what’s y’all record attendance?

Edited by UTSA Paratrooper 04

Besided UTSA and the Spurs we have:

Silver Stars basketball (ladies)

Missions baseball

Rampage hockey

Talons arena football

Scorpions soccer

Seriously???? All Minor leagues.

Scorpions play in a high school stadium and don't fill it up vs. Texas Motor Speedway having crowds of 200k. Speaking of soccer, I forgot to mention FC Dallas, another pro sport that UNT has to compete with.

Talons play in the Alamodome and in the spring- not much direct competition with the Roadrunners but Dallas has arena football too.

Rampage- Been to the games, they don't draw that well, nowhere near what the NHL Stars draw in Dallas

Missions?- I wasn't counting minor league baseball but OK, UNT has to compete with 3 minor league teams in Frisco, Grand Prarie and Ft Worth

Ok, Dallas doesnt have an WNBA team (thank god)- My company keeps trying to give away tickets for our corporate suite to the Silver Stars games, I never take them up on it. You'd have to pay me to go to a WNBA game.

College football wise- You guys have the advantage of being the only game in town while we have to compete for the casual fans with SMU and TCU. Your AD staff has done a GREAT job partnering with the local business community. Outside of the KFC thing, you cant see a car dealership commercial without a UTSA logo attached to it. That's something you never see in DFW.

• Upvote 1

Ok, Dallas doesnt have an WNBA team (thank god)- My company keeps trying to give away tickets for our corporate suite to the Silver Stars games, I never take them up on it. You'd have to pay me to go to a WNBA game.

We can't give the tickets away for the Silver Stars either.

• Upvote 1