UNT’s Whitfield set for cornerback debut

Harry

Ever since he started playing football while growing up in Sherman, Zac Whitfield’s coaches have told him that his path in the game was headed to an unfamiliar place.

His youth league coaches, his high school coaches and even the coaches who convinced him to sign with North Texas said, “Kid, one of these days you could be a great cornerback.”

That day is almost here.

Whitfield will play his first down at cornerback in his life on Saturday in a place college football fans like to call “Death Valley,” in Baton Rouge, where the Mean Green will take on No. 3 LSU in their season opener.

Whitfield spent his first year at UNT as a redshirt and didn’t switch over from running back to cornerback until the beginning of fall practice.

He could be in for one heck of an introduction to the world of college football in front of a crowd that is expected to top 90,000. LSU is riding the nation’s longest home winning streak at 17 games.

“I’m just going to go and approach it as another game,” Whitfield said. “They work hard just like we do and bleed just like we do. I’m going to play ball and do the best I can to help my teammates win.”

It’s that even-keel attitude and a willingness to do whatever he can to help his team that has helped the 5-9, 180-pound speedster with an ever-present grin quickly rise through the ranks of UNT defensive backs to earn a starting job.

The spot didn’t come easy.

Read more: http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/colleges/north-texas-headlines/20120831-football-unts-whitfield-set-for-cornerback-debut.ece

what this article didnt get correct is the fact that he started on both sides of the ball his Jr and Sr years in Sherman. He was the starting RB, Safety and some CB and was very good. Plenty of speed to do the job. I'm sure the old tools for this position will come back fairly quick. LSU will see to that.

I played with his older brother in Sherman, Jerwayne Parker, which played those same positions. All I had to do is get him the ball and he was gone!!! He was an unreal athlete as well.

Edited by MeanGreen01
  • Upvote 1

Our secondary is certainly young; but as far as speed and athletic ability; I can't remember one this fast and athletic in recent years. Apparently we started with 2 safeties last year who were close to 5.0 40yd dash guys. Now we have two (Trice & Whitfield) 4.4 guys and two (Lee & 4.5 guys back there. This group may take it on the chin early in some games; but look for them to improve significantly through the year and hopefully to the point that Warner can redshirt the full season

• Upvote 1

Agree... this team that has been assembled is very talented and unselfish... Zac is the nicest guys around and comes from a great family and is willing to do anything for this team to see it win. Knowing him and how young he is makes me regret ever posting any negative posts on here about players we had in the past. It's easy to forget that these guys are still young men and a lot of pressure is put on them. We also need to remember this is only the 2nd year under Coach Mac. I wish him and the rest of the guys the very best, they'll exceed all of our expectations.

• Upvote 1