Unbelievable Tony Mitchell Practice Video

Harry

My guess is that MItchell's rebound numbers will be down, but his ppg could be substantially up. Every one should know that stats are more a function of your team than the opposition. NT sans TM was a bad rebounding team last year. With the addition of Patton and Colmen and Jones full time, a very good rebounding guard, NT should be a much better rebounding team. Mitchell could be the best rebounder in the nation, but his numbers could be down because the team won't depend on him as much.

I thought Mitchell despite having few peers at jumping had a very under developed inside offensive game. If it was not a dunk, he usually passed when he got the ball inside. From what I have read, he is working hard on his inside game and that should make him almost unstoppable in the paint even with the double teams he will face. Benford will stress the inside game much more than JJ, so even with a better offensive NT team; I think TM ppg will improve.

My guess: ppg 17.5, rpg 8.9m, blocks 3.5 and turnovers will be substantially down.

• Upvote 1

My guess is that MItchell's rebound numbers will be down, but his ppg could be substantially up. Every one should know that stats are more a function of your team than the opposition. NT sans TM was a bad rebounding team last year. With the addition of Patton and Colmen and Jones full time, a very good rebounding guard, NT should be a much better rebounding team. Mitchell could be the best rebounder in the nation, but his numbers could be down because the team won't depend on him as much.

I thought Mitchell despite having few peers at jumping had a very under developed inside offensive game. If it was not a dunk, he usually passed when he got the ball inside. From what I have read, he is working hard on his inside game and that should make him almost unstoppable in the paint even with the double teams he will face. Benford will stress the inside game much more than JJ, so even with a better offensive NT team; I think TM ppg will improve.

My guess: ppg 17.5, rpg 8.9m, blocks 3.5 and turnovers will be substantially down.

I get your logic, but I think having to worry about other strong rebounders really opens thngs up for Tony. Last year, there were 2 guys boxing him out on just about every rebound. This year, teams are not going to be able to do that.

Also agree about his offense. Tony may be the one person to benefit the most from the coaching change. The reason he didn't go pro is because his offensive game needs massive improvement to be effective at the next level. I think we see him start to scratch the surface on his offensive potential under Benford's direction.

It's gonna be fun to watch. Can't wait.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

I'm more impressed by the play where he effortlessly snatches down the rebound than by any of the dunks.

Love the rebounding, high flying blocks etc. But I think my favorite part of this whole thing was the Vince Carter elbowhang dunk redux but in TM's version, he palms the ball and doesnt let go... that was amazing.

• Upvote 1

The block at the 0:37 mark is Amazing for a 6-8 player. Never seen anyone under 7-0 feet block a shot that high.

Hakeem and David Robinson are the only two I can think of. I'm sure I'm incorrect, but that was impressive!!!!!

• Upvote 1

The breakdown of offensive to defensive rebounds per game for Tony was about 2.5/8. That makes a whole lot of sense and I don't know that we'll see that much drop-off in his defensive rebounds. The man is a defensive machine. BTW, if Tony had played more games and averaged 8 Def Rebs / game that would put him real close to the Top 5.

His positioning and use on offense is the key to increasing his rebounds. Depending on the coaching change we could see him playing around the basket more or watch him create and benefit from having Coleman around. For Tony's rebounds to increase significantly, it seems our team is going to have to miss some shots, because he practically cleans everything on the defensive glass.

I think Patton will be our 2nd leading rebounder. With TM & Coleman in the middle , teams might tend to shoot more from the outside. The longer rebounds should benefit a 6'7 wing who was once the primary rebounder on his previous team.

Like 90 said , we should be able to out rebound every Sunbelt team this year

• Upvote 1

Walton is our best shooter and my sense is teams will sit in the paint and force us to shoot from outside, on offense they will force the penetrate on Walton to get him in early foul trouble. The only area of weakness I see on this team is outside shooting. What's interesting is Tony will likely get to shoot the ball a lot more this year from outside...he showed he could stroke the three pretty well so that could be good for us.

Walton is our best shooter and my sense is teams will sit in the paint and force us to shoot from outside, on offense they will force the penetrate on Walton to get him in early foul trouble. The only area of weakness I see on this team is outside shooting. What's interesting is Tony will likely get to shoot the ball a lot more this year from outside...he showed he could stroke the three pretty well so that could be good for us.

I don't know , I think Overlander could give him a run for his money.

If we could get this Midnight Madness going , would love to see a 3 point competition between the 2

• Upvote 1

I don't know , I think Overlander could give him a run for his money.

If we could get this Midnight Madness going , would love to see a 3 point competition between the 2

Good point -- I should have clarified that I was using current roster players for that thought. Clarke could give us an immediate boost in the shooting dept. and we could use it!