DMN..BB coach contract extension recommended for

OldTimer

UNT coach may see contract extended

North Texas athletic director Rick Villarreal has submitted a proposal to the school's board of regents to extend the contract of men's basketball coach Johnny Jones until the 2007-08 school year. The board of regents will vote on Villarreal's recommendation at its Aug. 21 meeting.

Jones' original five-year contract runs from April 2001 through April 2006, starting at $120,000 yearly, plus a $10,000-per-year radio contract and performance-based bonuses. The original contract guarantees five percent raises each year so that the coach's yearly salary would rise to $153,154 in the final year. Under the proposed contract extension, Jones will be locked up until 2008, and the last year of his contract increases to $168,852.

From the DRC:

Basketball: Villarreal to extend Jones’ contract

North Texas basketball coach will have job security through 2007 season pending Regents’ approval

07/12/2003

By Ethan B. Szatmary / Staff Writer

University of North Texas athletic director Rick Villarreal has recommended the school’s Board of Regents extend the contract of head basketball coach Johnny Jones through the 2007-08 school year.

The UNT Board of Regents will vote on Villarreal’s proposal at its Aug. 21 meeting.

"Coach Jones has done an outstanding job both on and off the floor," Villarreal said. "He possesses all of the qualities necessary to build a successful program, and we want him to be here a long time."

Reached on a recruiting trip in Baton Rouge, La., Jones was excited by the news.

"I was not aware it was going on right now," said Jones of the extension. "If that is the case, then I’m definitely thrilled that they feel the program is headed in the right direction."

Jones hiring in 2001 paid instant dividends, leading the Mean Green (15-14) to its first winning record since the 1995-96 season. But last year the Mean Green suffered through a rash of injuries and illnesses, including a season-ending injury to second-leading scorer Leonard Hopkins in December and nagging injuries to guard Jermaine Greene. North Texas finished at 7-21.

"It was unfortunate we had a lot of injuries last year, but anybody who came to games could see that the kids continued to play hard, and I don’t think our record was indicative of the type of team we had last year," said Jones.

Given his second-year struggles in a sports world where quick fixes are not only expected, but usually required, Jones said he’s pleased his superiors aren’t afraid to nurture the program.

"I think the administration shows that they’re sincere in their efforts to make sure we get the program going, and they understand it does take time and energy to do that," said Jones. "It says a lot about our administration, athletic director, our president and our chancellor if that [they’ve decided to extend his contract] is the case, because we’ve graduated seven out of our eight seniors — the kids have done what they’re supposed to on and off the floor and have represented UNT well."

Jones’ original five-year contract runs from April 2001 through April 2006, starting at $120,000 yearly, plus a $10,000 per year radio contract and performance-based bonuses for season tickets sold, winning the conference regular season title, taking the post-season tournament, advancing in the NCAA tournament, or meeting academic achievement goals. The contract guarantees five percent raises each year.

Under the contract extension, Jones will be locked up until 2008, when he will make $168,852. All of the performance-based incentives remain the same.

Despite the longer contract and a bigger payoff down the road, Jones said nothing motivates him to win better than Jones

"I don’t think anyone can put more pressure on me than I put on myself to make sure that we make this a winning program," he said.