Satruday scrimmage wrapup, video interviews

Brett Vito

I'm going to rehash some Buick here, but in a good light:

Dickey said in a DVD interview once, regarding his championship run, that it took not one playmaker but at least one or two at every position to be successful.

I think that is how this team is shaping up. Maybe it's the koolaid, but I see more consistency across the WR, depth at RB and in the trenches, and some recurring names from the LBs. I can't seem to put my finger on one single guy on our roster that steels the show like Dunbar did.

I'm going to rehash some Buick here, but in a good light:

Dickey said in a DVD interview once, regarding his championship run, that it took not one playmaker but at least one or two at every position to be successful.

I think that is how this team is shaping up. Maybe it's the koolaid, but I see more consistency across the WR, depth at RB and in the trenches, and some recurring names from the LBs. I can't seem to put my finger on one single guy on our roster that steels the show like Dunbar did.

Building depth is definitely a good thing.

GMG

All the running backs had a good day, but J. Brown had one run that was highlight reel stuff. BTW, he has changed to #20.....you know, like Barry Sanders.

Interesting stuff at the scrimmage. Ryan Long (#67, DE from Leonard) who sat out last year with an injury, was making his presence known with the second team defense. He was frequently around the ball and frequently putting pressure on the QB.

The catch of the day was Teegarden. He caught a long ball on the sideline whilst wearing a DB.

#92 was out there frequently playing H-back and TE. He was quite a load and looked pretty impressive. For a long time I couldn't figure out who he was and someone told me it was Micah Thompson, who was originally recruited to play DT.

This is pretty crazy stuff. We put guys who are 6'4" X 307 at H-back and turn former DE's, who were/are the size of TE's into DT's.

• Upvote 2

All the running backs had a good day, but J. Brown had one run that was highlight reel stuff. BTW, he has changed to #20.....you know, like Barry Sanders.

Interesting stuff at the scrimmage. Ryan Long (#67, DE from Leonard) who sat out last year with an injury, was making his presence known with the second team defense. He was frequently around the ball and frequently putting pressure on the QB.

The catch of the day was Teegarden. He caught a long ball on the sideline whilst wearing a DB.

#92 was out there frequently playing H-back and TE. He was quite a load and looked pretty impressive. For a long time I couldn't figure out who he was and someone told me it was Micah Thompson, who was originally recruited to play DT.

This is pretty crazy stuff. We put guys who are 6'4" X 307 at H-back and turn former DE's, who were/are the size of TE's into DT's.

It seems Canalas likes the big blocking TE's and H backs to load up on the wings. We saw that with Draylan Ross. Then last year we were told by an Iowa State fan that McCarney would recruit high school middle linebackers who were a step too slow for college and put them at defensive tackle so I'm not surprised by him now putting in smaller, quicker players at DT. When all the ideal defensive linemen are going to BCS conferences you've got to get a bit creative.

Are you saying J. Brown has a running style that reminds you of Barry Sanders? or simply the number?

Thanks for the update. Always appreciated.

I have noticed a couple of things from the roster. Though not updated, it does show a number 93 De'Andrew Lewis, a TE out of Mesquite. Bio says he was a LB and team captain in high school.

Also, does anyone remember seeing news that Willie Taylor left the team? His name is not on the roster. I think I have seem a #3 in the practice videos, though I have no idea if that is still Taylor or not.

Brett Vito, are you listening?

Willie Taylor has left the team.

#92 is Raymond Burks, who is around 6'1", 250. He walked on last year and has one year of eligibility left. Burks is playing H Back behind Drew Miller. Micah Thompson is #65 and is playing OL.

• Upvote 2

Are you saying J. Brown has a running style that reminds you of Barry Sanders? or simply the number?

Thanks for the update. Always appreciated.

Well, Barry Sanders more than anyone else. Especially on that one touchdown run from about the 20. All of our backs are pretty quick, but J. Brown is about a half step quicker. And in the open field he can stop and change directions pretty much on a dime.

• Upvote 1

Well, Barry Sanders more than anyone else. Especially on that one touchdown run from about the 20. All of our backs are pretty quick, but J. Brown is about a half step quicker. And in the open field he can stop and change directions pretty much on a dime.

forget Seneca Wallace... we have the next Barry Sanders on our team!!!

• Upvote 2

Me like.

#92 is Raymond Burks, who is around 6'1", 250. He walked on last year and has one year of eligibility left. Burks is playing H Back behind Drew Miller. Micah Thompson is #65 and is playing OL.

The only Ray Burks I could find was a WR signee from Noblesville, Indiana who signed at Kentucky State:

http://www.wkyt.com/sports/misc/15372366.html