Where would UNT be without Alzee Williams?

Harry

gallery_1_73_65942.jpg

After watching UNT pull one out last night at Arkansas-Little Rock, one thought popped into my mind:

Where would UNT be without Alzee Williams?

I'll give you a hint. It wouldn't be sitting 16-12 with a bye in the first round of the Sun Belt Conference tournament in the bag.

Williams had a monster game against UALR, scoring a game-high 25 points, including eight in overtime. He had two turnovers in 43 minutes at the point against the Trojans.

And that wasn't the first time Williams has come up big lately.

Williams hit the game-winning shot at the buzzer in overtime against Denver and has scored in double figures in seven of UNT's last eight games. He scored 29 points in UNT's two-point loss to Middle Tennessee and is averaging 15.6 points a game in UNT's last eight games. He has 22 assists to 13 turnovers in that span, just short of a 2-to-1 ratio.

Click to read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/archives/2012/02/heck-of-a-run-for-alzee-willia.html

Alzee can't do this again next year and be as effective. He's been terrific this year. I just think about what happened to Josh White . I truly believe he wore down later in his career and that was because of way too many minutes. Let's not let that happen to Alzee. If Chris can't come back, we need a juco point guard. But I am couting on Chris coming back.

• Downvote 1

Alzee can't do this again next year and be as effective. He's been terrific this year. I just think about what happened to Josh White . I truly believe he wore down later in his career and that was because of way too many minutes. Let's not let that happen to Alzee. If Chris can't come back, we need a juco point guard. But I am couting on Chris coming back.

I dont know what you've seen from alzee that makes you think he won't do it next year. This isn't some flash in the pan performance. It takes skill to be able to do what he did against middle.

His freshmen year toward the end of the year he was able to put together some really impressive games for a freshman. I remember thinking he was going to be good because he had so many tools and room to grow. He's probably been a surprise to some this year, but probably only because he didn't play last year. If he did play last year, I think we make the tourney. The only thing that might have hurt his playing time 2 years ago was our depth at the position.

He is the single best decision maker and cerebral player on the court this year for us. He doesn't try to overplay and he plays patient and fundamentally sound. There is absolutely nothing not to like in his game other than his jump shot can disappear for stretches, but he seems to understand what else he can do for the team in those stretches. All of these things aren't something that just go away in an offseason or playing too many minutes.

Im so happy the guy is a sophomore.

Alzee can't do this again next year and be as effective.

If TM comes back then I see now reason why he couldn't. Mitchell on the court makes everyone around him better & opens up so many opportunities for people on the outside. I loved Josh White, but Alzee is a better ballhandler. Over his last 2 years he was hounded up the court everytime he got the ball, which I think lead to a slight decline in his offensive game

I do agree if CJ doesn't come back we need a juco PG, but let's not think about that

But you are right...Alzee has been a hell of a player for us this season. Honestly, thinking about it from the last year that he played, I did not see it coming.

We knew that he was a really good defensive player but where did this offense come from? This was all a blessing in disguise when CJ and JW went down. Barring mishaps, this next year should definitely be the best North Texas team ever and I've seen about sixty of them.

Mitchell needs another force who can help him as a shot blocker and rebounder (hopefully Odoh) and this has to be a Sweet Sixteen team. At the very least I wouldn't expect them to be a one and done team next time around.

Mitchell needs another force who can help him as a shot blocker and rebounder (hopefully Odoh) and this has to be a Sweet Sixteen team. At the very least I wouldn't expect them to be a one and done team next time around.

I'm just waiting for the day when they get past that first round. Mean Green Mania would go to eleven.

eleven.jpg

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2