Is 2012 Done?

SHOSS

"The biggest difference to me is the academic education I’d get and job opportunities after graduation,” he said. “I’m thinking way down the line, how graduating from SMU would look compared to graduating from North Texas."

"The academic opportunity, the Big East, which is a big deal to me, and I’ll be closoer to home so I can see all the stuff my brothers are doing and they can come watch me,” Walling said. “Plus the winning tradition, the fan base and [sMU] has better facilities to be honest. All that plays a factor."

Yeah you are right...he wasn't disrespectful but he also laying out some very public verbiage about how he feels SMU is superior to North Texas in every capacity which makes it hard for other players who are tossed up (and we have one) to justify coming to North Texas. If you are going to decommit then just do it.... don't go touting our hated pseudo-rival as being better than us in everything from education to facilities (that last one I have to disagree with).

Ok, now I am sold. I guess I didn't see these quotes. I hope mac pulled his scholly.... You don't publicly say this and stay with your previous commitment. Good luck with thw pink polos.

"The biggest difference to me is the academic education I’d get and job opportunities after graduation,” he said. “I’m thinking way down the line, how graduating from SMU would look compared to graduating from North Texas."

"The academic opportunity, the Big East, which is a big deal to me, and I’ll be closer to home so I can see all the stuff my brothers are doing and they can come watch me,” Walling said. “Plus the winning tradition, the fan base and [sMU] has better facilities to be honest. All that plays a factor."

Yeah you are right...he wasn't disrespectful but he also laying out some very public verbiage about how he feels SMU is superior to North Texas in every capacity which makes it hard for other players who are tossed up (and we have one) to justify coming to North Texas. If you are going to decommit then just do it.... don't go touting our hated pseudo-rival as being better than us in everything from education to facilities (that last one I have to disagree with).

Just curious, but where did these quotes come from?

It's no problem...if Bama and LSU can oversign, we can, too! If we're gonna be a big dog, we gotta run like the big dogs run!

I'm not sure I could be happy about this...but then again, SMU's most famous years were a result of blatant cheating... they get to move up.

UCF has had recent success...boom, we all find out they were "cheating", and they get to move up.

It is plain to me. We may have to oversign and cheat to compete in the current college football world. Maybe I just need to set aside any kind of morals, and just accept it. We must match the scum to run with the scum.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We've had kids gray-shirt before. It's not cheating to oversign. Everyone knows where they stand.

If a kid and his family agree to it, they agree to it. They are free to walk on or go somewhere else if they want. This isn't Russia, is it?

Besides, even those kids "within" the number signed have no guarantees because scholarships are year-to-year, not four year guarantees.

We've had kids gray-shirt before. It's not cheating to oversign. Everyone knows where they stand.

If a kid and his family agree to it, they agree to it. They are free to walk on or go somewhere else if they want. This isn't Russia, is it?

Besides, even those kids "within" the number signed have no guarantees because scholarships are year-to-year, not four year guarantees.

I think the operative words in what you have posted are "If a kid and his family agree to it". If that is the case, then I have absolutely no problems with the gray-shirt concept. That agreement between player and parents and school make it fine with me...with that agreement...I don't like it one little bit.

I just checked SBC teams on the Rivals web site.

Both of these 2 schools are still recruiting players.

Florida International, signed 4 JUCO's and has 26 high school commitments. Total 30.

Troy University, signed 12 JUCO's, and has 15 high school commitments. Total 27

Well, usually Troy has about 50% of its class actually become academically available, so they have to sign a lot.