A new hat for 'Judge Jackson'

Harry

http://www.dallasnews.com/politics/localne...kson.61641.html

A new hat for 'Judge Jackson'

Head of Dallas County government reflects on 15 years in job

08/21/2002

By ED HOUSEWRIGHT / The Dallas Morning News

For 15 years, Dallas County Judge Lee Jackson has had to explain that he's not really a judge.

He doesn't preside over a courtroom. He's not even a lawyer.

But with his last day on the job Tuesday, he acknowledged that he'll miss being called "judge."

AT A GLANCE

Party: Republican

Political history: Served in the Texas Legislature from 1977 to 1986; elected county judge in 1986 and re-elected in 1990, 1994 and 1998; has had the second-longest tenure of any Dallas County judge, behind Lew Sterrett, who served from 1949 to 1974

Highlights in office: Named to Texas Monthly's list of the 10 best legislators, 1983; oversaw the financing and construction of several major county facilities, including the Frank Crowley Criminal Courts Building in 1989, the Lew Sterrett Justice Center North Tower in 1993 and the Henry Wade Juvenile Justice Center in 1995

Education: Bachelor's degree in political science, Duke University, 1971; master's degree in public administration, Southern Methodist University, 1972

"I made fun of it a little bit when I first ran," said Mr. Jackson, who led the five-member Commissioners Court that runs county government. "People asked me why we have such an artificial title. But it is a title with a long history, and it carries a certain cachet. It resonates as part of the state's political history."

On Wednesday, he begins a new career as chancellor of the University of North Texas System – a job that's both similar and radically different from the one he's had since 1987. He replaces Dr. Alfred Hurley, who officially retires on Aug. 31 after 22 years.

As county judge, Mr. Jackson – "Judge Jackson" – has worked with commissioners to set the county tax rate and supervise the jail system, the Sheriff's Department, the district attorney's office, Parkland Health & Hospital System and other county operations.

"County government serves a lot of people who are in some distress," said Mr. Jackson, 52. "They're either in litigation, in jail, in the public health system or the mental health system."

By contrast, higher education "exists to help people lift up their lives and fulfill dreams," he said.

"It will be gratifying to work with faculty, administrators and regents who are spending all their time thinking about ways to help more students improve their families' financial circumstances, move ahead professionally and develop their creative talents or scientific knowledge," Mr. Jackson said.

The University of North Texas System includes the main campus in Denton, the UNT Health Science Center in Fort Worth and the fledgling UNT satellite campus in Oak Cliff.

"The chancellor's role is general policy development, strategic decisions and external relations," he said. "There are areas in which I'll be on a fast learning curve."

Mr. Jackson's colleagues say he's up to the task.

"He sees the complete picture and doesn't focus just on the problem," Commissioner Mike Cantrell said. "He acknowledges the problem and then gets it solved."

Mr. Jackson, who is not a career educator, was a nontraditional choice for the chancellor's position. But commissioners say he's a perfect fit because he can take advantage of the knowledge and relationships he's developed over 15 years as county judge and the previous decade as a state legislator.

"I think the job was made for him, and him for it," said Commissioner Jim Jackson, a UNT alumnus.

As soon as UNT regents named him chancellor last month, Mr. Jackson began preparing for the job.

He said he had planned to have an apartment in Denton by now but hasn't had time to look for one. Once he gets an apartment, he said, he'll divide his time between Denton and Dallas until his youngest daughter graduates from high school in Dallas next spring.

The chancellor's job carries a big jump in pay. He'll earn $295,900 a year – more than twice his $126,467 county salary. In addition, Mr. Jackson will receive an annual housing allowance of $29,000 and a car allowance of $8,400.

"From everything I've learned in the past month, I'm going to earn it," he said. "It's a very challenging environment in higher education these days."

Colleagues say Mr. Jackson leaves an impressive legacy. During his tenure, the county completed the Frank Crowley Criminal Courts Building, added the North Tower to the Lew Sterrett Justice Center, built a new juvenile detention center, opened The Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza and maintained one of the lowest tax rates among large Texas counties.

He has compiled the second-longest service of any Dallas County judge – behind only Lew Sterrett, who held office from 1949 to 1974.

"In my opinion, he set a standard for the county judge position," Mr. Cantrell said.

Mr. Jackson will be replaced – at least on an interim basis – by former state District Judge Margaret Keliher, the Republican candidate for county judge on the November ballot. She faces Democrat Harryette Ehrhardt, who has been a state legislator for eight years.

Commissioners plan to approve Ms. Keliher's appointment on Aug. 27. The three Republican commissioners say they will vote for her. The only Democrat, John Wiley Price, said he would abstain.

"I'm thrilled," said Ms. Keliher, 47. "Those are big shoes to fill."