Bubas Cup Standings

Bloopers17

https://admin.xosn.com/pdf8/799480.pdf?KEY=JHPNMXFWEOWKEQC.20111120040137

Check out NT sitting in second for now. Soccer maxed out with 12pts by winning the conference and look for more sports to follow their lead. This is the year North Texas wins the All-Sports Award.

Go Mean Green

nope...not having baseball hurts badly...

• 4 months later...

https://admin.xosn.com/pdf8/799480.pdf?KEY=JHPNMXFWEOWKEQC.20111120040137

Check out NT sitting in second for now. Soccer maxed out with 12pts by winning the conference and look for more sports to follow their lead. This is the year North Texas wins the All-Sports Award.

Unfortunately we slipped to third. WKU & MTSU picked up points on us this month in the latest sports.

https://admin.xosn.com/pdf8/832907.pdf?KEY=OBJTSUZYVLWAZIL.20120314095438

There's not a helluva lot of carryover between Cross Country and track.

Got to disagree on that one. Look at WKU and MTSU and see how many athletes they have that get lots of points in CC and track. NT does the same thing although less successful, the distance runners in track or nearly always also on the cross country team.

Got to disagree on that one. Look at WKU and MTSU and see how many athletes they have that get lots of points in CC and track. NT does the same thing although less successful, the distance runners in track or nearly always also on the cross country team.

Distance runners (ie 5 and 10K runners)make up a fairly small percentage points wise when you have all the track events from the 1500M on down -- not to mention hurdlers, and all the field events.

Distance runners (ie 5 and 10K runners)make up a fairly small percentage points wise when you have all the track events from the 1500M on down -- not to mention hurdlers, and all the field events.

Bad point in my view, distance runners run everything from the 800 on up as well in some cases, steeplechase. Even if they compete in only a couple of events, they are in as many as most other track athletes. Good sprinters may be in more events but than they are not on the CC team. Bang for the buck, the best bet is to get good distance runners. Again, look at MTSU, WKU and ASU who all usually have distance people usually foreigners who complete well not only in cc but dominate in track.

Most cross country people do not run anything below 5K once track season starts. My father (a 4 year letterman at NT btw) OCCASIONALLY ran the mile (back when they still ran that instead of the 1500) but that was kinda rare. He also ran the 2 mile (which I don't believe is even a distance RUN at since the early 70's, so I think he's still the school record holder since he broke that record right around the time it quit being a NCAA sponsored distance).

But really, long distance guys tend to...well...run the long distances. Middle distance guys (800M and 1500M) rarely run longer distances or CC. I'm not saying they don't -- heck we've had guys that run the 800M and cross country....but really running around half a mile (800) and around 5 miles (8K - the typical cross country distance) are so completely different that most guys don't do it (and stick to 5 &10K...and maybe the 1500M). Rarer still is the guy that excels at both a glorified sprint (the 800M) and the longest distance run on an oval (10K)

I did forget about steeplechase though -- good call on that one.

Edited by CMJ

Most cross country people do not run anything below 5K once track season starts. My father (a 4 year letterman at NT btw) OCCASIONALLY ran the mile (back when they still ran that instead of the 1500) but that was kinda rare. He also ran the 2 mile (which I don't believe is even a distance RUN at since the early 70's, so I think he's still the school record holder since he broke that record right around the time it quit being a NCAA sponsored distance).

But really, long distance guys tend to...well...run the long distances. Middle distance guys (800M and 1500M) rarely run longer distances or CC. I'm not saying they don't -- heck we've had guys that run the 800M and cross country....but really running around half a mile (800) and around 5 miles (8K - the typical cross country distance) are so completely different that most guys don't do it (and stick to 5 &10K...and maybe the 1500M). Rarer still is the guy that excels at both a glorified sprint (the 800M) and the longest distance run on an oval (10K)

I did forget about steeplechase though -- good call on that one.

So we are debating if the 800 is usually run by CC participants. Yes, it is, I am sure distance runners think that is a sprint. However, the current number one times in the 800 in the Belt are both held by NT cc athletes: Sara Dietz with a 2.08, she was also 6th in the Belt meet in the CC, Matt Russ 1.53 in the 800 also the top runner on the cc team. I guess you can argue that they are track runners who run cc in the off season, but the results are the same they participate and provide points in both events. At the highest levels, most cc runners are not fast enough to run the middle distances in track; but in most colleges they do.

Edited by GrandGreen