It's Official: Katz reporting plan to add UH and SMU

Harry

NEW YORK -- If all goes according to plan, the Big East will end up replacing outgoing Pittsburgh, Syracuse and TCU with full-time members Houston, Southern Methodist and Central Florida, while adding Air Force and Boise State in football only.

According to a source with direct knowledge of Friday's Big East conference call, the conference has sent conditional invitations to Houston and SMU for all sports and Air Force and Boise State for football only. The Big East informed the four schools that if all four agree to join the Big East then the remaining schools would agree to an increase in the exit fee from $5 million to show a commitment. However, the six remaining football playing schools won't commit to raising the fee unless all four commit to joining the Big East in football with Houston and SMU joining in all sports.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7101780/source-big-east-sends-invites-five-schools-hike-exit-fee

NEW YORK -- If all goes according to plan, the Big East will end up replacing outgoing Pittsburgh, Syracuse and TCU with full-time members Houston, Southern Methodist and Central Florida, while adding Air Force and Boise State in football only.

According to a source with direct knowledge of Friday's Big East conference call, the conference has sent conditional invitations to Houston and SMU for all sports and Air Force and Boise State for football only. The Big East informed the four schools that if all four agree to join the Big East then the remaining schools would agree to an increase in the exit fee from $5 million to show a commitment. However, the six remaining football playing schools won't commit to raising the fee unless all four commit to joining the Big East in football with Houston and SMU joining in all sports.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7101780/source-big-east-sends-invites-five-schools-hike-exit-fee

I'm pretty sure if this happens, we'll get invited by CUSA. It'll help if we start winning more, but in the end, I don't even think that will matter all that much. CUSA will want a presence in the DFW...and...who else can they target??? Nobody.

• Upvote 3

I'm still not sure this is that good for us. Even if we're in CUSA - we'll be the only team in the metroplex not in a major conference.

What has the BigEast done for USF or Louisville? I doubt SMU will benefit all that much from being in the Big East. I think the most improved team in the area would be us for sure if we get into CUSA. Plus, it beats being in CUSA as the only non-AQ team in the area than being in the SB as the only non-AQ team in the area. Even if SMU doesn't accept the invitation (which I'm positive they will), they'll eventually join a major conference and it'll be the same issue. The CUSA has done a lot for several programs (UH, UCF, Tulsa, SMU, etc), and I'm sure it will help us a lot as well.

Edited by bleedgreen4ever
  • Upvote 2

What has the BigEast done for USF or Louisville? I doubt SMU will benefit all that much from being in the Big East. I think the most improved team would be us for sure if we get into CUSA. Plus, it beats being in CUSA as the only non-AQ team in the area than being in the SB as the only non-AQ team in the area. Even if SMU doesn't accept the invitation (which I'm positive they will), they'll eventually join a major conference and it'll be the same issue. The CUSA has done a lot for several programs (UH, UCF, Tulsa, SMU, etc), and I'm sure it will help us a lot as well.

The Big East has done a lot for Louisille! They went to the orange Bowl a few years ago and are nearly always a top 4-5 seed in the Big Dance.

I'd say USF has also been helped a ton. Had anyone heard of them before they ended up in the Big East?

If SMU and Houston do leave for the Big East, and C-USA adds us, we definitely got the better end of that deal. C-USA to Big East isn't much of an improvement with the merger. Sun Belt to C-USA definitely is, especially if the new C-USA-MWC gets an auto-bid(which is certainly a possibility). The only reason the merger was up for discussion was for this exact reason, if I remember correctly. Why would they merge otherwise?

• Upvote 2

What has the BigEast done for USF or Louisville?

Are you joking? South Florida hit #2 in the polls after joining the Big East. They beat Notre Dame on a huge national stage the other week. They've played in a bowl game every year since joining the Big East. All highly unlikely occurrences if they were still in C-USA. Louisville also was a top 10 team for a couple of years after joining the Big East.

The Big East has done a lot for Louisille! They went to the orange Bowl a few years ago and are nearly always a top 4-5 seed in the Big Dance.

I'd say USF has also been helped a ton. Had anyone heard of them before they ended up in the Big East?

Louisville was already ridiculously strong before entering the Big East...reason why the got into the Big East. Now look at them. USF was also dominating before entering the Big East. I'm not saying it doesn't help its teams at all...an AQ conference is an AQ conference, but it's not much better than CUSA or MWC. Plus, its image is consistently being ridiculed and undermined. I've seen teams make remarkable strides in CUSA and MWC for that matter.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

God help us. We have become so beaten down we can't even accept great news when it hits us in the face. The point he is trying to make is that CUSA was a great place for SMU, UCF, TCU, USF and Houston. It would be a significant upward move for us as well. GMG!

God help us. We have become so beaten down we can't even accept great news when it hits us in the face. The point he is trying to make is that CUSA was a great place for SMU, UCF, TCU, USF and Houston. It would be a significant upward move for us as well. GMG!

I know this increases our chances of a CUSA/MWC invite but are we really sure they're going to expand? With the alliance they have an abundant of teams and they may look to stand pat right now and grow within. Again I just don't want to get my hopes that high because I think many on the board are assuming that once SMU goes to the Big East that our invitation will be ready for us from CUSA.

• Upvote 1

I'm pretty sure if this happens, we'll get invited by CUSA. It'll help if we start winning more, but in the end, I don't even think that will matter all that much. CUSA will want a presence in the DFW...and...who else can they target??? Nobody.

So you're telling me there's a chance?

• Upvote 1

Exactly.

Up is up. If it happens, I don't care if means someone else benefits, too. Whatever helps us grow and build is good for us. And this would be huge.

I know this increases our chances of a CUSA/MWC invite but are we really sure they're going to expand? With the alliance they have an abundant of teams and they may look to stand pat right now and grow within. Again I just don't want to get my hopes that high because I think many on the board are assuming that once SMU goes to the Big East that our invitation will be ready for us from CUSA.

They aren't merging. They plan on doing something football related. Something.

But if SMU moves up, none of the teams have a recruiting toehold in the Metroplex anymore. If CUSA or the MWC wants one, they've got one all-sports option left.

No they weren't. They had never been to a bowl game in their history and had never been ranked.

They did have a heck of a team before going to the Big East. And of course joining an AQ conference will help your ranking and recruits!!! That's not my point! The Big East has not solved USF's problems, sorry. Beating Notre Dame?? I forgot that's SUCH a huge accomplishment....Tulsa beat them last year. Are they in the Big East? As a whole, I don't see the Big East being SUCH an overwhelming benefit for SMU that we're doomed even if get into CUSA. We'll improve greatly and be able to start competing against AQ conference teams if we're in CUSA. That's the whole point of this conversation. Not about how good or bad the Big East is.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

They did have a heck of a team before going to the Big East. And of course joining an AQ conference will help your ranking and recruits!!! That's not my point! The Big East has not solved USF's problems, sorry. Beating Notre Dame?? I forgot that's SUCH a huge accomplishment....Tulsa beat them last year. Are they in the Big East? As a whole, I don't see the Big East being SUCH an overwhelming benefit for SMU that we're doomed even if get into CUSA. We'll improve greatly and be able to start competing against AQ conference teams if we're in CUSA. That's the whole point of this conversation. Not about how good or bad the Big East is.

UNT isn't doomed by anything SMU does. UNT has a good chance of coming out in a much better situation.

• Upvote 2

I know this increases our chances of a CUSA/MWC invite but are we really sure they're going to expand? With the alliance they have an abundant of teams and they may look to stand pat right now and grow within.

"...Acknowledging potential defections, Banowsky said that number could settle at 20 or rise with new invitees to 24. Or even a couple more."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/story/2011-10-14/mountain-west-conference-usa-merger/50776562/1

With the CUSA conference headquarters in DFW I think we would get big consideration to become an expandee. :thumbsu:

• Upvote 2

Uhhh...you're the one who brought it up.

I'd still be thrilled to go to C-USA/MWC/C-USA-MWC coitus, but let's not make stuff up to suggest it's just as good as the Big East.

Yep the Big East is still the better conference and they're not going anywhere. They have too much history and too many skins on the wall for them not to be an AQ conference.

Uhhh...you're the one who brought it up.

I'd still be thrilled to go to C-USA/MWC/C-USA-MWC coitus, but let's not make stuff up to suggest it's just as good as the Big East.

Easy there. Perhaps you didn't even read everything the right way. Someone suggested that SMU going to the Big East would hurt us even if we went to CUSA because of it being a major conference. I don't believe the Big East is that much of amajor conference to benefit SMU so much that joining CUSA won't end up benefiting us. I don't think the Big East has helped programs as much as CUSA has done, in RELATE terms, of course CUSA won't get you into high rankings and BCS bowls. I never said it's just as good, don't put words in my mouth.

Yep the Big East is still the better conference and they're not going anywhere. They have too much history and too many skins on the wall for them not to be an AQ conference.

Yet I never said that the Big East is not better than CUSA. It's just not strong enough for it to benefit SMU so much that if we join CUSA, we won't feel its benefits. Something like this was suggested earlier.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1