CUSA Exit Fee $7,000,000

MeanGreen61

Could this affect any proposed movement from CUSA to the Big East ?

If the Knights ultimately decide to join the Big East, Conference USA officials told the Sentinel that UCF would have to pay an exit fee of about $7 million. Schools leaving C-USA must pay their annual share of television revenue under dual contracts with Fox Sports Network and CBS Sports for five years and an additional one-time $500,000 fee.

READ MORE

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/knights/os-ucf-big-east-news-1012-20111011,0,5855483.story

Probably been said, but the ACQ conference monies SMU and (moreso) UH would get would more than cover $7 million to get out of CUSA. They'd be fools to stay if they had an ACQ conference available. SMU would not have a problem getting the $7 mill, they just can' t fill their stadium even with bowl teams but only seemedly when TCU comes with their 10,000 plus fans.

I would love our chances to dramatically improve our attendance with winning teams and playing TCU type schools at Apogee. I think most of us know what we could do now with our much larger constituency. We just have to get out of this losing mode we've been in much too long so we can show what we are capable of doing that others cannot do with winning bowl teams.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

What's sad is that the Big East buyout is $5MM, so it is more costly to leave CUSA. Explains why everyone is so willing to jump out on them. By contrast, the ACC just increased their buyout to $20MM.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but one buyout (BE) is talking about a team that never actually followed through with competitive play. I wonder if games played actually factors into the buyout amount?

Purely speculative.

The BCS money isn't that big apart of conference payouts. You're probably talking a couple million per year. The biggest differece betweeen conferences is the TV deal. The Big 12 is expection to payout $17M to $18M next year. Most of that ($15M) will be TV money. The rest is basketball money and BCS money.

The big question is going to be TV money. The Big East gets a bigger BCS payout and gets more NCAA tournament money (although CUSA does decent in this thanks to Memphis run and not splitting 16 ways like Big East). But the biggest upside is TV money. CUSA just signed a deal so that amount is known. The Big East is getting ready to do a new deal. Nobody knows what they'll get until they know who'll be in the conference.

I'd guess the numbers are better in the Big East but it's not as big of slam dunk as it would be moving to other BCS AQ conferences. The biggest benefit would be access to BCS bowls but there is no guarantee that the Big East keeps their bid after 2014.