Birds Nest Handicaps The Belt

Harry

While many teams around the Sun Belt don’t start conference play for at least three weeks, the conference season actually starts this week.

Thursday, in fact.

First year head coach Dan McCarney leads the North Texas Mean Green into Miami to face defending co-champion FIU this Thursday night.  It is the only conference game in the nation in week one of the college football season until Monday night when Miami meets Maryland.

Western Kentucky also opens Thursday night, taking on the Kentucky Wildcats.  That game is on ESPNU.  UNT and FIU are playing on ESPN3.com.

Normally I’d wait until week four or so to do this, but with a conference game this week, here’s how I think the Sun Belt race will unfold this year.

http://espn1420.com/from-the-birds-nest-handicapping-the-sun-belt/

I have thought that this dude is a bit of an ignorant homer for a while now....and this article just reinforces that opinion.

EDIT: I also want to add that the Lafayette fan base has probably surpassed WKU as the most arrogant in the conference...and I can't wait to shut them up in football and basketball.

Edited by Mean Green Matt

I remember we opened the season against MTSU a few years ago. I think it was the opener following our last Belt title season.

Curious:

1) Any reason we do this? Off the top of my head, I don't recall other conferences doing this. My gut is telling me this is happening because it couldn't be arranged any other way.

2) Has there been any other instance of this that did not involve us as one of the teams?