The Happenings of UNT Football

Someone mentioned that all incoming freshmen would be enrolled in summer school and attend workouts throughout the weeks prior to two-a-days. Is this true? If so, anyone have updates about incoming players?

Not a super exciting topic...but I'm anxious for some UNT football so if anyone has any knowledge of what the players and coaches are up to leading to two-a-days let us know!

I was at the athletic center on Tuesday night and saw about 50 or so players running and practicing routes. The only freshman that I could pick out was Cooper Jones, QB from Lone Oak. He looks the part, every bit of 6'5 if not taller and probably 230. I also saw LD out there running, looking fast as always. I believe I might have saw Travis Ellard, OL. I saw a big guy moving pretty well with red hair, he is the only one I know of that has red hair.

• Upvote 1

By the way, all freshmen have now been assigned numbers and they are posted on the athletic site. The only freshman missing is Kendall Washington. Must he sit out a year even though I don't believe that he actually enrolled at Iowa, Washington State, or any place where he held an offer?

I assume that all were here to choose their number (but yes I know how to spell assume).

• Upvote 1

I don't think they're asking for in-depth analysis on DT's last jog from the lockers to the 20 yard line.

I'm not in the anti-Vito camp - I don't mind the DIckey rehash - but I kinda agree with some in this thread: a quick bit about how good a newcomer looked catching a ball from Osborne would be refreshing.

Whatever personal issues that Vito had with Dodge must have run really deep. It's pretty obvious that there is something behind Vito's views on Dodge besides football.

I try to just take it for what it is and read Vito for the info on the program, which he works hard to provide. What does worry me is that he will go softer on a coach he likes. He has already rolled the excuses out for a poor performance this year and has stated over and over again aboujt how much time this is going to take.

Come on, Mr. Vito, leave the personal issues out of your writing, please.

• Upvote 3

Picking numbers and running sprints aren't exactly news worthy. Sometimes I get annoyed with Vito too, but to criticize him over this is a bit much.

I'm not asking for that, but go check the website of the Austin American Statesman or the newspaper from Norman, OK. They write stories about the incoming freshmen from the most recent signing class, news on the return of injured players, articles on players that are projected to step into the starting lineup, etc... There is a lot to write about.

• Upvote 2

I'm not asking for that, but go check the website of the Austin American Statesman or the newspaper from Norman, OK. They write stories about the incoming freshmen from the most recent signing class, news on the return of injured players, articles on players that are projected to step into the starting lineup, etc... There is a lot to write about.

In fairness, they also have several writers covering the team. The DR-C has . . . Brett Vito. And to be honest, analysis is not his strength. Today's article on having an experienced HC is an example of what he does well. And he does work--while the "Todd Dodge was terrible/Darrell Dickey was great" ranting gets old, as does his condescending style, he earns his pay.

• Upvote 1

Whatever personal issues that Vito had with Dodge must have run really deep. It's pretty obvious that there is something behind Vito's views on Dodge besides football.

I try to just take it for what it is and read Vito for the info on the program, which he works hard to provide. What does worry me is that he will go softer on a coach he likes. He has already rolled the excuses out for a poor performance this year and has stated over and over again aboujt how much time this is going to take.

Come on, Mr. Vito, leave the personal issues out of your writing, please.

Seems we finally agree on something.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1