Fresh start for the Mavs, fresh thread.

UNT96

I don't get it, how can Dallas be one team one night and a completely different team the next? You know that Dallas added yet another coach yesterday, Cuban hired Silas (the ousted New Orlean's coach) as a consultant because he split with the Kings this year and beat them by 24 points in the win. All of the sudden the Mavs are setting a record for first half points and absolutely beating the living crap out of the mighty Kings.

This could be the major turning point we have all been waiting for since the Mavs started slumping about a month and a half ago.

I think it was more Nelson bringing in Silas than it was Cuban. He's there totally on a consultant basis, and maybe a future assistant coach, but i seriously doubt they'd fire Nelly for a guy who could only manage a 5? spot with one of the most talented eastern conference team.

still amazed at how much of a 180 the Mavs pulled tonight. They could have scored 150 had they left the starters in tonight. biggrin.gif

They won't fire Nellie. His contract as coach runs up after the end of the season. His contract to be GM continues. So if he is not the head coach next year, he wouldn't have got "fired". And making the playoffs for four straight years in any conference, especially with the injuries the Hornets had this season to thier most important players, is an accomplishment.

I don't think that Silas was the reason for the turnaround. A guy who comes in as a consultant for one day doesn't make a team rip the nets up shooting from deep. The Mavs just showed up and played the game as well as you can play it. And that first half was the best I have ever seen a Mavs team play. They couldn't have missed if they had tried.

Well, they still didn't play much defense IMO, but the Kings did not play ANY defense. That combined with the Mavs being on fire. A lot of shots were still well contested but found their way in the bucket.

I like the mentality that Van Exel brought to the game. You could see the fire he had, and it was contagious. Yeah, the Mavs were nailing everything from outside...but did you see how many times Nash and Van Exel took the ball to the hoop with a "will not be denied" attitude? We did a good job on defense of knocking the Kings out of their rhythm. At least we've got a competitive series to watch now guys...with the Kings' injuries and the Mavs hitting shots...who knows. We've got a chance.

I heard Nelly on the radio yesterday and he sounds as if he relaly wants to keep coaching. Well, who wouldn't with Cuban as the owner? Unlimited money to spend, first class treatment all the way, complete free control in personnel regardless of bonehead moves in Bradley and LaFrenz getting the maximum, and finally you get to hire your son and all of your buddies as assistants and pay them more than 80% of the head coaches in the league... uh, yeah, I think I could coach under those circumstances!

BUt seriously, I always thought that Nelly had to be talked out of retirement and in a sense he was because he didn't want to go through another emotional rollercoaster. But his words were along the lines of "I am really enjoying myself and I am not ready to go hide in Hawaii again just yet" so I think we will see Nelly back unless his son decides he wants to coach.

Here is what I think is going to happen, I think Nelly will coach another year maybe two; but Little Nelly will be vaulted to head coach the last year and dad will work alongside him as his top assistant. It will be a mentor year or two with Little Nelly calling the shots. That is unless they happen to win it all this year, every coach wants to go out while he is on top.