Gmg.com Basketball Classic

KRAM1

We are pleased to announce that the GoMeanGreen.com Basketball Game benefitting the UNT Cheerleaders is on! The game will take place on Saturday March 26th, 1PM tip off (please arrive for warm ups at Noon) at the Mean Green Village Gym. It's time to break out those dusty Converse out of the closet and show us your "A" game. All of the proceeds from this event will benefit the UNT Cheer Squad. Our cheerleaders do such a great job and they need our support! This is a great event and we need your support to make it happen!

DATE: March 26, 2011

PLACE: Mean Green Village Gym

TIME: 1PM Tip Off, 12:00 Noon Check In/Warmup

COST: $25 (includes player shirt). Please make checks payable to UNT Athletics. You can bring your registration fees to the event or you can mail your checks to the following address:

UNT Athletics

c/o Mark Miller

3608 Montecito Dr.

Denton, Texas 76205

REGISTER NOW: We need to know if you can play so we can set up the tourney format and draft. Please respond to this post or

contact Mark Miller at mmiller@ipi.org to reserve your spot! Please include a brief bio including your age, height, weight and prior basketball experience. We will provide this bio information to the coaches who are conducting the draft.

DRAFT: The Draft will be conducted in the GoMeanGreen.com chatroom about a week prior to the event. More details to come.

DONATIONS: Even if you can't participate in the event your donations are gladly accepted and can be made payable to UNT Athletics. Also if you have items that you would like to provide us that we can use for a silent auction or raffle please contact Mark Miller at mmiller@ipi.org for more details.

SPONSORSHIPS: Please contact Mark Miller at mmiller@ipi.org for more details.

VOLUNTEERS: We need lots of volunteers to help us run this even smoothly in particular referees and event day organizers. If you are interested in lending a hand, please respond to this post or email mmiller@ipi.org to sign up!

I DON'T PLAY BUT WANT TO WATCH: Would love to have as many people come out and support the event as possible! Great opportunity to visit the campus and see some of the new facilities!

KID FRIENDLY? - Absolutely, if you have a young cheerleader who would like to spend some time and get pictures with UNT Cheer this is the event for you!

AFTER PARTY: We are planning an after party to be held at a local Denton establishment. If you are a restaurant/bar and would like to have a bunch of hungry and thirsty Mean Green faithful please contact mmiller@ipi.org for more details.

GoMeanGreen.com will have a live podcast with interviews and coverage on the day of the event for those unable to attend. We are working on having both current and former players to participate in this event and so if you know of any that might be interested in being a part please respond to this post or contact mmiller@ipi.org for more details. We are working on some very unique items including signed jerseys and basketballs. The cheerleaders will also be available to take pictures. We will have a professional photographer taking pictures of the event. Also working on some other special guest that we will announce soon. We will be updating this blog as news comes available so be sure to bookmark and check back often. Thank you in advance for your support and as always GO MEAN GREEN!!:rock:

Click Here to discuss this Event in the GoMeanGreen.com Basketball Forum!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

UPDATE: New players added...we are now up to 16 confirmed players (that includes the mighty Censored By Laurie who is trying to come down from the hinterlands for the game. I have also asked about an autographed football and an autographed basketball that can be used in a silent auction at the event and after party to help raise some additional funds and have received positive responses on both, but I do not have either in my possession as yet. In addition, we are working on a possible Title Sponsor who would help with expenses and provide a place for the after event.

This is going to be fun...both for participants and spectators...like the GMG.Com flag football game. You really won't want to miss the fun.

DEADLINE FOR PLAYERS TO SIGN UP IS 5:00PM (CST) on Friday March 11th! After that we will prepare for the player draft and we will be ordering the game day player t-shirts. Sorry, have to cut it off at some point, so be sure and sign up now if you are wanting to play. Spectators welcome...no need to sign up for that.

There is a donations site on the home page of the GMG.com forums page for those who would like to help make this a success and provide some much needed funds for the UNT Cheer Squad. Our stated goal is to raise a net of $1000 or more for the Cheer Squad.

PM me if you have questions or comments, want to help or just want to comment or sign-up to help or play.

My sincere thanks to all those who have signed up to play, made donations or offered to help to date! You folks are the GREATEST!

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 2

Is it right that shirts can be purchased by non-players as well? Same deadline? Same donation amount (I assume)?

Yes, you are 100% correct. Non-players may purchase game day shirts for $25...I just need to know the size and if they want a green or white shirt and what name they want on the back (please try to keep the numbers of letters to as few as possible).

Thanks for the reminder...if you are interested, just PM me with the info. Shirts can be picked up and paid for by cash or check (no credit cards, please and thank you). Checks can be made payable to UNT Athletics. Or, if need be...everything can be done through the mail or through delivery/pick-up at a different date/time. I'll work with you on this if you want to purchase a shirt to help the UNT Cheer Squad.

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 2

Update....

Two referees announced...

The Mean Green's own RAQUEL CUFFIE from our women's team and SHANNON SHORTER from our men's team have agreed to be referees for our CLASSIC on March 26th.

Let me see anyone argue a call with these two roaming the court! Thanks to Raquel and Shannon.

This is getting better and better all the time! You want to put this on your "must attend" list....Still time to sign up to play and/or make a donation in support of the UNT Cheer Squad!

Thanks to Raquel and Shannon!

GO MEAN GREEN! GO GMG.COM CLASSIC!

• Upvote 2

Two updates to report.

I believe we have found a title sponsor and location for our after game party...METZLER'S BBQ has shown interest in helping us out! That's great news and I'll be talking more with them soon.

That would give us their place as the site for our after party...nice! Good BBQ and cold beer!

Secondly...I think...think...I have secured the services of TONY MITCHELL to be our third referee.

I'll confirm both of these as we move along, but it does just keep getting better for this event. The support we are getting from the Athletic Dept (big help with the title sponsor and facilities, etc.), the business community in Denton (Metzler's BBQ), Terri Cuffie (helping with our referees and adding a player for us), and from many generous GMG.com supporters with their agreement to play in the game (without them none of this happens), and from the many other generous GMG.com donors has been fantastic so far, and I suspect will get even better as we move forward.

We do need that PayPal site balance to start moving to the right again...we are stuck on $90 for our $500 goal. If you can help...even with $5 it would help a great deal.

Come out of the 26th of March and be part of the fun. I think you will enjoy yourself while helping to support the UNT Cheer Squad!

GO MEAN GREEN! GO GMG.COM CLASSIC BASKETBALL GAME!!!!

• Upvote 3

UPDATE:

Josh White has agreed to be one of our referees for the game! That gives us a CONFIRMED referee team of:

Raquel Cuffie

Shannon Shorter and

Josh White.

How much fun is that going to be, right? Worth the price of the free admission just to come watch! Better still...how about making a donation, large or small, to the event to help out the UNT Cheer Squad? All support welcome...and speaking of support, we have the following fine Denton area firms signed up as sponsors of the event so far. The Cheer Squad has been out asking for sponsors and are seeing some nice results;

Fast Signs

Voertman's

Campus Book

Chicken Express

And, our title sponsor METZLER's BBQ!

More to come. Please thank these local merchants by stopping by and letting them know you appreciate their support for UNT and this event!

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 2

You could probably get a lot of people (including myself) to up their donation if Josh White hammers on UNT90 for not being a pure "1" every time he touches the ball.

:goodjob::bow: Pure Greatness in that post, Sir!

UPDATE...coaches announced for the Classic! Drum roll please...wait for it......

We have twisted the arm's of the GMG.com and UNT's own

meanrob and

Emmitt01

to be our coaches and to help with the player draft.

Let the trash talking begin...well, maybe after the player draft.

Thanks to meanrob and Emmitt01 for agreeing to play and coach in the first annual GMG.com BB Classic!

GO MEAN GREEN!

You could probably get a lot of people (including myself) to up their donation if Josh White hammers on UNT90 for not being a pure "1" every time he touches the ball.

More like not being a pure "5". Even when I was young, I was never, ever mistaken for a 1. Oddly enough, I face one of the same challenges that Josh does in that respect: Height. The other challenges I face are athletic ability, age, and conditioning.

Stop trying to get others to do your dirty work and get your a$$ on the court!

PLEASE NOTE: LAST DAY & TIME TO SIGN UP TO PLAY IS THIS FRIDAY...MARCH 11th at 5:00PM! DEADLINE is fast approaching....If you have been thinking about playing, but have, as yet, not signed up...well, please do so as soon as possible. The player draft must take place soon, t-shirts need to be ordered, programs need to be printed, etc.

PLAYER SIGN-UP DEADLINE: MARCH 11th - 5:00PM

Rudy...where are you????????

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

FOLKS...I have no clue how this reappeared on GMG.Com and in the football thread! This is about LAST Year's Event....Harry, Tasty...anyone...can you get this down and off before there is "mass confusion"?

The date/time/place, etc. for this year's (2012) event has not been determoned as yet...

Please some admin...get this down ASAP!

Thanks.

FOLKS...I have no clue how this reappeared on GMG.Com and in the football thread! This is about LAST Year's Event....Harry, Tasty...anyone...can you get this down and off before there is "mass confusion"?

The date/time/place, etc. for this year's (2012) event has not been determoned as yet...

Please some admin...get this down ASAP!

Thanks.

haha. KRAM, check the dates... this is from last year.