A Pre-Spring Look At D-Tackle

Harry

The good thing about these younger DTs, maybe a reason for hope, is that DT is definitely one of those positions where time is needed to develop before bieng able to solidly contribute. It is very seldom a DT comes in right away and contributes as a freshman. Maybe our young guys, sophs, RS soph, and juniors, have had their time to develop and get acclimated to the game...we only need 3...would like to have 5-6, but you can compete with 3.

I definitely agree with Silver here...this is a mighty big issue that has yet to be resolved. I heard Coach mac speak last evening before the Basketball game, and he is very much focused on improving the defense. In fact he agreed with quite a few of us when he said there would be plenty of emphasis upon tackling in the spring and fall practices. Not to mention fundamentals for the entire defense. This guy is a defense first guy so I expect to see some big improvements on that side of the ball.

That is very good news indeed!

GO MEAN GREEN!

Would have loved to have seen this present coaching staff coach our team of the last 2 years.

I think Coach Mac is 3 years away from showing us all the kind of upgrade we can expect for (hopefully) a long tenured success of a job we all hope he will have at UNT. We cannot go back to the days of good teams with slow speed because there are many schools in the former 1-AA level of NCAA football that have that on an annual basis already.

Good teams w/o overall good team speed we've seen most of the last 10 or so years but I think the added element of across the board good team speed will take us to a higher level beyond anything the Sun Belt Conference has yet to see. IMO, Troy has come closest to doing that with 1 or 2 of their teams, but I hope "a good team with overall good to excellent team speed will be our usual and expected annual staple in Mean Green Country. IMO.....ex conference mate Boise State should still be our long term model for a success at a higher level. Thankfully, we've got the facilities for that to be able to happen now. The new stadium coupled with this coaching staff has been the long missing multi-decade's piece to our puzzle--better late than never.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen