Utsa Lands Commit From Blake Terry

SUMG

This is the kid that was committed to Kentucky...and Kentucky dropped their commitment to him. Anyway, I'm one of those that believes that it's hard to keep Denton kids in town.....because most kids want to go off to college, when they go to college:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Blake-Terry-88994

This is the kid that was committed to Kentucky...and Kentucky dropped their commitment to him. Anyway, I'm one of those that believes that it's hard to keep Denton kids in town.....because most kids want to go off to college, when they go to college:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Blake-Terry-88994

I would think that we would have a much easier time recruiting someone in DFW but not in Denton based on the fact that most kids at least want to feel like they are away from home and out of the parent's backyard. Its never that discouraging to me when a Denton kid goes somewhere else because I can think how would I feel about staying in the same town I grew up in? If Denton were the size of Dallas it wouldn't matter. I am 30 and own a house 1 mile from my parent's house and even now....I don't like the feeling of being that close.

Recruiting Denton players should be easier not harder than other communities. This I want to leave town bit, may be true in many cases but not all. IMO the problem in Denton is that in general the NT program has been looked down on by many of the community. North Texas is not big time, heck they were never even in the SWC. Instead of embracing the local college, it is way too cool to put them down. It should be viewed as a privilege to have a major university in your city; Denton in fact has two. NT and TWU are taken for granted and not generally worthy of any local support by the vast majority of residents. A good case in point is the NT BB program which seldom loses at home, yet my guess is draws less than a hundred a game of Denton citizens that are not affiliated in some manner with the school.

McCarney should make sure that every Denton area players who is good enough gets recruited by NT. Just like any other Texas area, NT will probably not get any of the first tier recruits; but there is no reason that NT should not be a the top of the list for players just below the Big 12 level. For every player that wants to leave Denton, I would bet there is one that would like to stay close to friends and family. I doubt there are as many true fb division prospects in Denton as many like to believe, however I don't see any negatives from pursuing those players.

• Upvote 1

Recruiting Denton players should be easier not harder than other communities. This I want to leave town bit, may be true in many cases but not all. IMO the problem in Denton is that in general the NT program has been looked down on by many of the community. North Texas is not big time, heck they were never even in the SWC. Instead of embracing the local college, it is way too cool to put them down. It should be viewed as a privilege to have a major university in your city; Denton in fact has two. NT and TWU are taken for granted and not generally worthy of any local support by the vast majority of residents. A good case in point is the NT BB program which seldom loses at home, yet my guess is draws less than a hundred a game of Denton citizens that are not affiliated in some manner with the school.

McCarney should make sure that every Denton area players who is good enough gets recruited by NT. Just like any other Texas area, NT will probably not get any of the first tier recruits; but there is no reason that NT should not be a the top of the list for players just below the Big 12 level. For every player that wants to leave Denton, I would bet there is one that would like to stay close to friends and family. I doubt there are as many true fb division prospects in Denton as many like to believe, however I don't see any negatives from pursuing those players.

I never stated that pursuing them was a waste of time... I feel that pursuit of those should be first since school visit's (on both ends) are so easily achieved.

John Lott, Phillip Armour, Raifu Durodoye, Cass Starks and Isaih Smith to name a few.

What about the kicker from the Hayden Fry era, now a soccer coach at a Denton high school? Of course, being from Israel, he had traveled a long way to attend high school in Denton.

Edited by eulessismore