Tim Cowlishaw's Bowl Picks

Marty

What is that they say about "any PR is good PR"? In this case I am think....not so much. What a yo-yo, but we did lose to Army I am sad to say. Just another example of the local media's lack of respect for the Mean green. Only way that changes is if the Mean Green nation forces them to change it. That day is coming...that day is coming!

• Upvote 1

What is that they say about "any PR is good PR"? In this case I am think....not so much. What a yo-yo, but we did lose to Army I am sad to say. Just another example of the local media's lack of respect for the Mean green. Only way that changes is if the Mean Green nation forces them to change it. That day is coming...that day is coming!

Correct. Only way to change perception is to win. Can't blame Cowlishaw, he just reacts to what he has seen. Can't blame SMU, (though that's unthinkable with this group), they didn't write the paragraph. Donate money, buy tickets, show up to games, and stop blaming everyone else...UNT is responsible for UNT, thats it in a nutshell.

It's interesting that SMU lost by 2 at home and we lost by 24 on the road with a back-up qb who himself was hurt in the game.

Obviously SMU has improved but I wonder how long the money alums will commit to JJ's salary with results like today.

Edited by STE

June Jones will leave. I said earlier in the year that he'd get offers if he took SMU to back-to-back bowl games. It happened, and it happened.

My guess is if Maryland had been on west coast instead of the east coast, Jones would have taken the $1.5 million raise. See what happens with Jones if a Pac-10 school comes calling.

To run his offense, you need alot of speed and depth with speed. He'd have it in spades on the west coast; he'd be fighting for it on the east coast.

Mark this prediction, too, Pirate Pushers - Mike Leach and his offense will garner no more championships in the ACC if he takes the Maryland job than he won in the Big 12...which was a big, fat zero.

Jones and Leach have offenses that need tons of speed and deep speed. Florida, Texas, and California are about the only places they can consistently get it.

Texas Tech and SMU aren't big enough draws naturally to recruits. Hook one of these guys up at a UCLA...the thing could really cook. The problem with Leach, though, is that he's got to someday get serious about the defensive end of the stick.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 1

It's interesting that SMU lost by 2 at home and we lost by 24 on the road with a back-up qb who himself was hurt in the game.

Obviously SMU has improved but I wonder how long the money alums will commit to JJ's salary with results like today.

Not long I would surmise. The SMU fan base has shown be be very "fluid" over the years. But, June Jones really is doing a decent job of courting the "bigger money" alums and fans. The challenge is to bring the fans that will buy the tickets and actually attend games.

June Jones will leave. I said earlier in the year that he'd get offers if he took SMU to back-to-back bowl games. It happened, and it happened.

My guess is if Maryland had been on west coast instead of the east coast, Jones would have taken the $1.5 million raise. See what happens with Jones if a Pac-10 school comes calling.

Arizona State? Washington State?

Erickson is in the same position Hawkins was this past season at Colorado - the school can't afford to buy him out, so he knows they're stuck with him. I imagine Wazzu is in the same boat since they kept Wulff after another horrible year.

I expected both of those jobs to be open this season along with Miami, Colorado, Maryland, UCLA, and Georgia. Miami, Colorado, and Maryland did fire their coaches. For financial reasons - or reasons unknown - Arizona State, UCLA, Wazzu, and Georgia stayed put.

I'm most shocked about UCLA and Georgia. With USC unable to bowl for two years, and having their scholies reduced, it seemed to me to be the perfect time to get a little ripple going the Bruins' way in the form of a new coach. Skippy led the Bruins to a perfectly crappy 4-8 record. The man is making Karl Dorrell look like Chuck Noll.

I figure Richt is getting extra time at Georgia simply due to fact that he's been there for so long. Maybe their administration has looked at neighbor Tennessee and figured out that it sometimes does no good to part with longtime coaches. The Vols fans have got to be standing on their heads over the garbage their football team has put out over the past two seasons since they ran off Phillip Fulmer.

I'd say Jones might take the Georgia job as well, if it opens up next year and he's still taking SMU bowling. Having been a quarterback and coach in Atlanta, the territory isn't wholly unfamiliar. And, nearby Florida is a fertile ground for speedy receivers and defensive backs.

• Upvote 1