Justin Gaines New Coach?

Coach Andy Mac

Did anyone notice what this poster said?

"Going to North Texas wouldn't be a huge step up in anything other than money. the Sun Belt and those teams are considered second rate in Texas college football and not much of a step above DI-AA"

I don't know where he is getting his information but he is dead wrong.

• Upvote 1

"Going to North Texas wouldn't be a huge step up in anything other than money. the Sun Belt and those teams are considered second rate in Texas college football and not much of a step above DI-AA"

Of course he is but he's hurt and just strikes out. We've got a lot more posters that would do worse.

I really hope Gaines stays as he has brought some talent into our program, but he is a hell of a guy and I wish him luck wherever he lands.

As to the comment (which I did not make), this is just a casual FBS fan speaking here, but the Sun Belt is not held with high esteem in the FCS ranks. It isn't just Montana State fans talking here, browse any FCS board and you'll see the same. Gaines will be coaching in front of about 2,500 more fans per game at North Texas than Montana State, just as an FYI, and next year our capacity will be raised to over 18,000.

Edited by catbob

As to the comment (which I did not make), this is just a casual FBS fan speaking here, but the Sun Belt is not held with high esteem in the FCS ranks. It isn't just Montana State fans talking here, browse any FCS board and you'll see the same. Gaines will be coaching in front of about 2,500 more fans per game at North Texas than Montana State, just as an FYI, and next year our capacity will be raised to over 18,000.

Obviously the Sun Belt is no SEC, but y'all still have a ways to go. And no, the difference in average attendance is closer to 5000 (over 37% of your total attendance). And that was in the dump of a stadium we previously had, and with one of the worst teams in the Sun Belt. If Dan McCarney can produce winning football in what will be perhaps the finest facility of its size in the U.S., attendance is sure to increase significantly.

The MSU guy that wrote that forgot to consider the immense benefit of living in Texas instead of Montana...

The MSU guy that wrote that forgot to consider the immense benefit of living in Texas instead of Montana...

More traffic and shopping malls?

:huh:

I kid, I kid, of course. I love Texas. But Montana is some mighty fine country as well. It's just a little off-kilter when some fan of Big Sky football comes on a UNT board to take potshots at the Sun Belt.

Obviously the Sun Belt is no SEC, but y'all still have a ways to go. And no, the difference in average attendance is closer to 5000 (over 37% of your total attendance). And that was in the dump of a stadium we previously had, and with one of the worst teams in the Sun Belt. If Dan McCarney can produce winning football in what will be perhaps the finest facility of its size in the U.S., attendance is sure to increase significantly.

I'm not here to talk any smack, probably came off that way. Mostly here to just defend FCS football, as usual. Nothing against North Texas. Mostly bummed we are gonna lose our Texas pipeline. Us Montana guys are good TEs, OL, QBs, and just about everywhere on the D outside of DB, but for speed we gotta go out of state most of the time (not always).

I was using this year's attendance totals for my comparison by the way.

If Gaines is really coming to NT (not sure on correct abbreviation), you guys got yourself a solid recruiter, at least he could at our level. Funny thing is he played for our bitter rivals, the Montana Grizzlies.