Football Scoop -

MeanGreen61

North Texas: Our sources, near the situation, tell us Mike Canales is with the AD at the North Texas basketball game tonight. As we understand it, UNT will have a new head coach no later than Tuesday. Apparently, it's down to Canales and Florida defensive line coach Dan McCarney. Strangely enough, Canales and McCarney are friends as both served on the South Florida staff together for one year. North Texas basketball hosts UT-Arlington next Tuesday. We're told, "Get your tickets to see the new head coach."

http://www.footballscoop.com/the-scoop

If we go with McCarney, I'd like to see Canales stay on. McCarney is a defense-minded coach and we really need strength in that area right now. I think Canales has proven that his offensive schemes work, so a combination of the two approaches could be dynamite here.

This is the only way I want to see McCarney onboard at this point. I have to wonder if McCarney had offered up to keep Canales onboard as OC since he had worked with him in the past. I know it is unorthodox but it could be the scenario we see. Moreso...if that is the case then it would be best to offer Canales a raise for his current position to keep him loyal.

This is the only way I want to see McCarney onboard at this point. I have to wonder if McCarney had offered up to keep Canales onboard as OC since he had worked with him in the past. I know it is unorthodox but it could be the scenario we see. Moreso...if that is the case then it would be best to offer Canales a raise for his current position to keep him loyal.

Ah, we'll have to raise the pay levels of all assistant coach (including coordinator) positions in order to attract and keep the ones we want. I'm fairly certain that is understood and part of the proposed package of pay upgrades for head coach and assistant coaches.

I see McCarney giving Canales the title of Associate Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator.

If we could work this out financially, and Canales would agree to it, that would be an AWESOME solution. If McCarney comes in and has a lot of success here, he might then use UNT as a potential stepping stone to a bigger job offer down the road. At that point, Canales could take over at UNT after the program is moving in the right direction (hopefully). It's a win-win situation for us IMO. The only problem, is that Canales seems to want the man right now.

North Texas: Our sources, near the situation, tell us Mike Canales is with the AD at the North Texas basketball game tonight. As we understand it, UNT will have a new head coach no later than Tuesday. Apparently, it's down to Canales and Florida defensive line coach Dan McCarney. Strangely enough, Canales and McCarney are friends as both served on the South Florida staff together for one year. North Texas basketball hosts UT-Arlington next Tuesday. We're told, "Get your tickets to see the new head coach."

http://www.footballscoop.com/the-scoop

Our sources, very far from the situation, tell us that Johnny Jones was also seen with the AD at the game last night. Interesting. Also, the game was on TV, and Canales reportedly has a TV in his house and frequently watches basketball on it. To add fuel to the fire, we're told that Canales loves hot dogs, and our sources report that hot dogs were on sale last night. Can it be a coincidence? Could it be that RV is going to have Jones take over the football team and Canales take over MBB? Our sources say it would be a bold stroke.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1