Byrd not eligible, will play at Paris JC

OldTimer

Justin Barnett from Arlington Martin, about 6-10, is supposed to be on the team this year. Hope his injury bug is missing...he missed most of two seasons in HS with injuries and his freshman year had surgery on his foot and redshirted.

Don't know how much he will contribute...let s just hope he does.

There is a chance Sam Byrd might sign with NT after blossoming at Paris JC. Loyalty does exist.

Texas A&M Head Coach Melvin Watkins was the first to show interest in Antoine Wright of Lawrence Academy in Groton Mass. Wright was an unknown at the time. Now he is considered one of the top incoming Freshman in the nation. He proved his rating with his performance in the Dallas Global Games. Later Wright was recruited by Arizona, North Carolina, Virginia, Connecticut, Stanford, Miami (Fla.), Maryland, Georgetown, Arizona State, UCLA, USC and many others. Wright elected to stay with A&M, hardly a big-name basketball school.

The below quote from Wright was borrowed from the official Texas A& M Athletic site.

"Texas A&M has been really loyal and I thought it would be a good opportunity for me," Wright said. "Even when I wasn't getting that much attention earlier this year, A&M was always there. I think I can go there and play right away. I think I can get it done in the Big 12. I've worked hard and I think I've been able to improve on my game without getting caught up in all the hype. I think Coach Watkins can help me elevate my game to the next level and get me where I want to go."

Chris Jackson and Jamal Brown didn't think that way, but Sam Byrd might.

Buford, I appreciate your point. However, the flaw in your analogy is that Watkins can recruit players to the Big 12 league more than he can Texas A&M Basketball. Johnny doesn't have that luxury. Honestly the whole Chris Jackson, Jamal Brown, etc. experience has led me to see it this way.

Perhaps this young man is different...I hope so.