The Dodge Train

eulesseagle

We had a coach who went 20 games under .500 & got a practice field named after him. Our next coach is currently 6 - 34 and still has strong supporters and people who think he is the man to lead us in the right direction. I can't imagine what will happen if we ever get someone in here who can maintain a .500 record. Key to the city ? Mayor of Denton ? Employee of the month ?

:clapping::clapping:

I want to see a coach that stays long enought to put his name on this team/program and the history books.

Don't worry about that, Dodge has been here long enough to put himself in the history books. Worst coach in UNT history?

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This thread has been beat to death and I'll not take it further except to contest your last statement. The FAU win is Dodges's fourth conference win (WKU twice, ULM and FAU). The first WKU win came when they were provisional members so that doesn't count.

Who cares about the coaching comparison? Both had horrible coaching records and unless Dodge either wins seven or gets a conference championship with six wins I think that he should be gone.

I totally agree with this.

And BTW, I have ALWAYS been on the NORTH TEXAS train. It's the engineers that we hire to drive it that I occasionally have problems with.

• Upvote 4

This thread has been beat to death and I'll not take it further except to contest your last statement. The FAU win is Dodges's fourth conference win (WKU twice, ULM and FAU). The first WKU win came when they were provisional members so that doesn't count.

Who cares about the coaching comparison? Both had horrible coaching records and unless Dodge either wins seven or gets a conference championship with six wins I think that he should be gone.

You should check again. WKU was not full 1-A until 2009. In 2008, they were still transitional, not eligible for a bowl. Neither ESPN nor Dodge's Wiki page list the 2007 or 2008 WKU wins as conference wins.

According to Western Kentucky and the Sun Belt, they did not become full conference members until 2009.

I don't care about comparing the two coaches beyond defending the old coach against erroneous accusations or keeping people honest about the current one when they try to compare him to his predecessor.

• Upvote 1

I agree with most of your post.

However, you are falsely attributing the Report that Lane Rawlins asked his colleague to produce for UNT administrators to RV.

fyi, lane rawlins was at the fau game working the small nt crowd, introducing himself, and thanking those in attendance for coming. i talked to him for about 10 minutes, and was impressed by his interest in our football program. his feeling seemed to be that we need to take care of business in the belt amd that if we do so realignment will take care of itself. not a direct quote, but what i gathered from our conversation.

his feeling seemed to be that we need to take care of business in the belt amd that if we do so realignment will take care of itself.

we did that in 2001-04 befre the last cusa openings and got nothing. they cared about attendance and facilities and not about conference wins. smuuu had nno confernece wins when they were invited, no attendacne either.

I am on the "Dodge Train."

Always have been.

I believe the FAU game demonstrated that Coach DeLoach has put together a very very good "Defense." The post game interview stated that DeLoach said it was "OLD STYLE" defense. I thought he had put together a pretty good defense around a bunch a really good players. Now it is going to be up to the "OLD STYLE" "D" guys to keep playing how they played against FAU.

Coach Dodge gave Coach Canales a great deal of praise how he had worked with QB Riley Dodge and his game plan.

Our running backs gave the "O" line just about all the effort last night.

Even with about a dozen players out for the year or so last night gave me some more hope that the back ups are really pretty good players and that NT may be deeper than what we, as fans, think.

For those who jumped off the train the last couple of weeks good to have you back on the train. You are either on or off the train.....just pick one for the rest of the season.

assets-images-gawker-2008-07-lowered-expectations.jpg

• Upvote 2

we did that in 2001-04 befre the last cusa openings and got nothing. they cared about attendance and facilities and not about conference wins. smuuu had nno confernece wins when they were invited, no attendacne either.

That's not true. UTEP beat out UNT and LA Tech for the last spot in CUSA because of things like facilities, baseball, and who their coach was.

Our conference win streak is what got CUSA attention in the first place. SMU was part of a package with Rice and Tulsa coming out the mega-WAC. And don't forget TCU was still in CUSA when the SMU deal was worked out.