United States Basketball

Is anyone else watching the FIBA World Championship? It't not as cool as the world cup, but still pretty fun to root for the USA!

The next USA game is tomorrow morning at 10:00am vs. Russia. This is the quarterfinals.

Spain, one of only several teams in the world the experts say had a chance of beating us was eliminated by Serbia this morning. Argentina and host Turkey are both still in it though.

What is really cool about the team though is that a lot of the big NBA stars are not on it (Lebron, Dwade, Kobe...), and they are still doing very well.

Go USA!

I've been watching when i can. Do not look forward to playing Turkey in the Finals(where I think we'd match up with them if we both made it that far?). That will be a pit of hate and venom spewed at us if it's for the Gold Medal.

On a side note, major props to Turkey for playing so well. Usually they're not really thought of as a major international power.

I've been watching when i can. Do not look forward to playing Turkey in the Finals(where I think we'd match up with them if we both made it that far?). That will be a pit of hate and venom spewed at us if it's for the Gold Medal.

Just wondering why you say that? Basketball related or politics related?

Just wondering why you say that? Basketball related or politics related?

More basketball, but I am sure politics might be in there. I really meant basketball though. Think about it...dominant power(even though we lost in 2002 and 2006 we're still perceived that way) in the sport facing plucky home underdog who has had a miracle undefeated run to this point.

It'd be like their version of the 1980 Miracle on Ice.

I have liked Coack K since he said that winning an olympic gold medal was more important to him than a national championship with Duke. His explanation was (paraphrased) that representing your country was as good as it gets.

I still hate Duke though...

Edited by Mean Green Matt

I did not know Coach K was in the military...I suppose I was not all that thorough with his wikipedia page. :rolleyes:

As far as the basketball, we are insanely athletic, and look pretty good considering that Lebron James, Kobe Bryant, Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, and Dwayne Wade all found reasons not to represent their country this summer.

USA by 7...4:54 left 3rd quarter.

USA 65-53 after the 3rd. I shoulda mentioned earlier how well Andre Iguodala is playing as well. He's usually a great scorer but is really playing solid defense, rebounding, and making the extra pass. Really I love the way this team is playing right now. They might not be as good as our team that won in Bejing, but in some ways I like the make-up of this one more.