Texas Tech To Visit Denton Tues. Nov. 16

NT80

I would expect a bigger turnout then Ok St a few years ago...a Texas big 12 school coming to the pit to face our North Texas team with 4 20 win seasons in a row... a few years ago we were coming off our first NCAA apperence since 88 and we played an out of state big 12 team and got 6,000+. their is no reason that, with all the success we have had over the last 4 years...and with this being a big 12 team from within texas...that we shouldnt have 7,000 +.

We may have more UNT turnout, but I'm not sure there will be as many Techies as there were Ok St fans. The cowboy fans really travelled well for that game and their bball program does seem to have a lot more history and following than Tech's does. Although, there are (I would assume) a lot more Tech alumni in DFW than Ok St alum.

I think UNT will promote this game better than they did Ok. St. was. I couldn't believe how many students showed up for that game given the lack of publicity.

I think UNT will promote this game better than they did Ok. St. was. I couldn't believe how many students showed up for that game given the lack of publicity.

Agree. Just think what could happen with even a bit of publicity. Thus, the thought that plans might should be in the works already. Not only for this game, but for the entire season. JJ has built a great team and the schedule is looking much better than last season's for some interesting and exciting match ups. It would be a shame if the students and fans didn't turn out to support this team. However, sometimes a program actually needs to let folks know about the great match ups and do what it can to build some anticipation and excitement ahead of time. This could be another trip to the NCAA's for the Mean Green. Sure would like to see the Mean Green average at least 3500-4000 for each home game.

Could happen with improved student support, alumni interest, a push to educate the local community and some good old fashioned publicity...a promo or two wouldn't hurt either. You just got to love those "Little Dribblers", but they really don't do much to sell tickets or keep the fans in attendance glued to their seats at half time.

My bride and I will be in our usual seats, but UNT could use several more and new season ticket holders to help "Pack the Pit" this season.

GO MEAN GREEN. I thinks its time the Mean Green faithful "re-pay" JJ for all the work he has done in building a solid program by attending the games in much larger numbers. Want to keep the program on track? Support it!

This game is on a Tuesday. What day of the week was the Ok St. home game?

Will a week day, as opposed to a Saturday, make a difference in attendance?

I believe the OSU game was also on a Tuesday. Our season opener was against Cameron - on a Saturday(directly following the Navy game if I recall correctly). OSU was a few days after that.

I was in town visiting and made all three.

Edited by CMJ

I believe the OSU game was also on a Tuesday. Our season opener was against Cameron - on a Saturday(directly following the Navy game if I recall correctly). OSU was a few days after that.

I was in town visiting and made all three.

I just looked it up. The Oklahoma State game was on a Wednesday (Nov. 14, 2007).

My casual observation has been...that we draw bigger student crowds for weekday games...than Saturday games.

This game is on a Tuesday. What day of the week was the Ok St. home game?

Will a week day, as opposed to a Saturday, make a difference in attendance?

Saturdays in the fall is a killer for basketball. Tuesday works out perfect for this game, since there won't be any football on TV.

Moving the tipoff to 7:30 instead of 7pm would certainly help with fans driving from DFW in traffic. hint, hint

While I agree with you for that game(since it's unlikely to be a double header) - we had quite a few games start nearer 7:30 than 7 anyways because the women's games usually ended around seven. When folks see the schedule say 7pm and a * marking a DH - that should be taken with a grain of salt. Game will rarely start on time and shouldn't deter people from coming.

I wish that I could be in charge of the promotions for this game. It will likely be the only game this season that the DFW news stations send crews to cover.

Here's a couple of ideas:

First, I would send a pair of tickets to this game to every soul that buys football season tickets. Not only does that fill your arena with your most loyal fans, it rewards the people that already support the university, and exposes your main target audience for future basketball ticket sales to North Texas basketball at it's finest. If they have a great time, those people are likely to buy basketball season tickets as well.

Get a game-day sponsor, preferably an auto dealership, that will supply Sky Trackers for each corner of the Pit. The Super Pit is damn dark outside at night whether a game is being played or not. Having Sky Trackers lighting each corner of the building would show all Denton that something big was happening there that night.

Make sure ALL lights are lit and ALL concession stands are staffed and functioning. For one night a year the small-time-mentality has to be put aside. Image is important and this is the biggest event at which North Texas basketball has a chance to present it's image.

Have a competition between campus organizations, preferably with some type of half-court, three point, or free throw shooting contests. A monetary prize, and a contest that isn't finalized until after the game will not only bring out students from those organizations, it will keep those students around for the duration of the game.

• Upvote 4

I wish that I could be in charge of the promotions for this game. It will likely be the only game this season that the DFW news stations send crews to cover.

Here's a couple of ideas:

First, I would send a pair of tickets to this game to every soul that buys football season tickets. Not only does that fill your arena with your most loyal fans, it rewards the people that already support the university, and exposes your main target audience for future basketball ticket sales to North Texas basketball at it's finest. If they have a great time, those people are likely to buy basketball season tickets as well.

Get a game-day sponsor, preferably an auto dealership, that will supply Sky Trackers for each corner of the Pit. The Super Pit is damn dark outside at night whether a game is being played or not. Having Sky Trackers lighting each corner of the building would show all Denton that something big was happening there that night.

Make sure ALL lights are lit and ALL concession stands are staffed and functioning. For one night a year the small-time-mentality has to be put aside. Image is important and this is the biggest event at which North Texas basketball has a chance to present it's image.

Have a competition between campus organizations, preferably with some type of half-court, three point, or free throw shooting contests. A monetary prize, and a contest that isn't finalized until after the game will not only bring out students from those organizations, it will keep those students around for the duration of the game.

I like the way you think! To put it simply..."it ain't THAT hard" to come up with some ideas. Giving two tickets (upper section seats I would think) is a great idea. What in the world would it hurt? As you say, maybe you gain some new season basketball ticket buyers or at least some folks might return for a future game or two. Plus...more concession sales. That counts for something. Love the idea of a "game day sponsor" and lighting the place up for the game...maybe green lights????

I like the way you think! To put it simply..."it ain't THAT hard" to come up with some ideas. Giving two tickets (upper section seats I would think) is a great idea. What in the world would it hurt? As you say, maybe you gain some new season basketball ticket buyers or at least some folks might return for a future game or two. Plus...more concession sales. That counts for something. Love the idea of a "game day sponsor" and lighting the place up for the game...maybe green lights????

The most important thing, FILL EVERY SEAT WITH OUR PEOPLE.

Image counts for a lot, and it's worth a heck of a lot more than selling every possible seat to Tech fans. Give Tech it's allotment of seats the same way they will do for us, and then work on filling every other sat in the facility with Mean Green fans.

Why not make this a night to remember? Why not give away 10,000 of those little green megaphones? You want loud, that will do it.

You want to create a spirited event? Instead of the pep band, why not bring the whole Green Brigade into the Pit for one night?

Why not get the game on local television? This is done for football, why not show basketball the same consideration?

For just one night, rock that place and show everybody what a big time basketball event at North Texas can be like.

Or.........do nothing special.........sell a thousand or so seats to Tech fans in a half empty relatively quiet arena and make absolutely zero impression on the only night of the year that your basketball team receives local media coverage.

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 1

The most important thing, FILL EVERY SEAT WITH OUR PEOPLE.

Image counts for a lot, and it's worth a heck of a lot more than selling every possible seat to Tech fans. Give Tech it's allotment of seats the same way they will do for us, and then work on filling every other sat in the facility with Mean Green fans.

Why not make this a night to remember? Why not give away 10,000 of those little green megaphones? You want loud, that will do it.

You want to create a spirited event? Instead of the pep band, why not bring the whole Green Brigade into the Pit for one night?

Why not get the game on local television? This is done for football, why not show basketball the same consideration?

For just one night, rock that place and show everybody what a big time basketball event at North Texas can be like.

Or.........do nothing special.........sell a thousand or so seats to Tech fans in a half empty relatively quiet arena and make absolutely zero impression on the only night of the year that your basketball team receives local media coverage. Damn, I just had flashbacks of the Houston and Oklahoma State games of recent seasons.

THAT!