Texas Tech To Visit Denton Tues. Nov. 16

NT80

Isn't it sad that we have to piece together our upcoming season's schedule by bits and pieces from opponents' boards.

The date for this game and the LSU game ( Dec 22) was announced in November

The Sunbelt Conference is one of the last to announce their BB schedules.

OK, this is a perfect game for a "PACK THE PIT" night. If the dept. cannot do something to get fans out for this game it will be a real shame. I hope there are plans being developed right now to promote this game BIG TIME! It is early season enough, a name team, a Texas team, a recognizable team, a legacy coach, etc., etc. There is everything to like about this match-up. It could be a big win for the Mean green both on and off the court. IF, it is promoted early and often.

This will be great. I can't wait to be there on the 16th to see the Mean green beat Texas Tech as they did Oklahoma State a couple of seasons ago.

As Mean Green nation members let's do our part to get the word out and to help promote this game...early and often...and with any support from the athletic dept's PR and promotions dept. it is very possible that we could see in excess of 6,000 in the Pit for this game. I would say "sell-out", but i don't want to get too far ahead of myself here. Let's make sure we do all we can to "PACK THE PIT" on the 16th!~ can't wait.

Question. Will the students come out for this game in LARGE numbers????

GO MEAN GREEN...Go JJ and Company!!!

OK, this is a perfect game for a "PACK THE PIT" night. If the dept. cannot do something to get fans out for this game it will be a real shame. I hope there are plans being developed right now to promote this game BIG TIME! It is early season enough, a name team, a Texas team, a recognizable team, a legacy coach, etc., etc. There is everything to like about this match-up. It could be a big win for the Mean green both on and off the court. IF, it is promoted early and often.

I wouldn't call Pat Knight a legacy coach; in fact there were calls to fire him after he went 14-19 in his first season at Tech in 2008-09. He is now around .500 as coach. His dad might be considered a legacy name coach.

Edited by NT80

I wouldn't call Pat Knight a legacy coach; in fact there were calls to fire him after he went 14-19 in his first season at Tech in 2008-09. He is now around .500 as coach. His dad might be considered a legacy name coach.

Isn't Pat Knight the definition of a "legacy" coach? I've always thought of legacies as people who got into an Ivy League school, or some high profile job, because of their family connections. Isn't that why when people whose folks were in a certain fraternity, try to join themselves, they're called legacies?

Basically a similar concept to nepotism.

Isn't Pat Knight the definition of a "legacy" coach? I've always thought of legacies as people who got into an Ivy League school, or some high profile job, because of their family connections. Isn't that why when people whose folks were in a certain fraternity, try to join themselves, they're called legacies?

Basically a similar concept to nepotism.

You're probably right, I was reading "legendary coach", or a coach who has left a legacy on a program. Although if he doesn't improve his winning there he will be an "unemployed coach".

Edited by NT80

Legacy in this case meaning a position passed down from father to son. Sorry i didn't make myself clear on that.

• Upvote 1

I expect just as many, if not more than the Ok. St game a few years ago.

I hope your "expectations" are correct. It would help if there was some good hype and PR ahead of the event.

I would expect a bigger turnout then Ok St a few years ago...a Texas big 12 school coming to the pit to face our North Texas team with 4 20 win seasons in a row... a few years ago we were coming off our first NCAA apperence since 88 and we played an out of state big 12 team and got 6,000+. their is no reason that, with all the success we have had over the last 4 years...and with this being a big 12 team from within texas...that we shouldnt have 7,000 +.

I would expect a bigger turnout then Ok St a few years ago...a Texas big 12 school coming to the pit to face our North Texas team with 4 20 win seasons in a row... a few years ago we were coming off our first NCAA apperence since 88 and we played an out of state big 12 team and got 6,000+. their is no reason that, with all the success we have had over the last 4 years...and with this being a big 12 team from within texas...that we shouldnt have 7,000 +.

I think there will be less.. I'm not there to print flyers and tape them to the door of every building on campus.. I'm guessing about 5,500 will be there though

I think there will be less.. I'm not there to print flyers and tape them to the door of every building on campus.. I'm guessing about 5,500 will be there though

Are you saying that printing flyers and taping to doors is the only idea one can come up with as to how to help drive attendance or are you saying there is nothing going on as it is "expected" that 5,000+ will show up "just because"?

I didn't even know you would be asked to print flyers and tape them to doors. Wow...who knew?

Surely you jest?

Are you saying that printing flyers and taping to doors is the only idea one can come up with as to how to help drive attendance or are you saying there is nothing going on as it is "expected" that 5,000+ will show up "just because"?

I didn't even know you would be asked to print flyers and tape them to doors. Wow...who knew?

Surely you jest?

My post had different layers of meaning that you have to read into and hear the tone of my voice to understand. I'll just spell it out this time

1. I printed out hundreds of flyers (thanks GAB computer lab) the week of the Oklahoma State game and taped them to doors at eye level throughout the week. Most got taken down but I just kept putting them up. I figured if people knew Oklahoma State was playing in Denton it would draw a crowd.

2. I believe the general student body doesn't know the basketball schedule and four or five 2x2 foot signs at ankle height spread throughout campus isn't enough to draw attention

3. My flyers might or might not have worked so there was some sarcasm in my post.

4. I think general word of mouth, facebook events and Texas Tech fans is enough to get it up to 5,500 but going the "extra yard" could push the game into the record books.

5. I wanted to pat myself on the back.. nothing wrong with a little self assurance

My post had different layers of meaning that you have to read into and hear the tone of my voice to understand. I'll just spell it out this time

1. I printed out hundreds of flyers (thanks GAB computer lab) the week of the Oklahoma State game and taped them to doors at eye level throughout the week. Most got taken down but I just kept putting them up. I figured if people knew Oklahoma State was playing in Denton it would draw a crowd.

2. I believe the general student body doesn't know the basketball schedule and four or five 2x2 foot signs at ankle height spread throughout campus isn't enough to draw attention

3. My flyers might or might not have worked so there was some sarcasm in my post.

4. I think general word of mouth, facebook events and Texas Tech fans is enough to get it up to 5,500 but going the "extra yard" could push the game into the record books.

5. I wanted to pat myself on the back.. nothing wrong with a little self assurance

I know for certain I'll be attending this game with three Texas Tech grads. My hope would be that NT fans AT LEAST outnumber the Tech fans in attendance 2 to 1 or more.

Got it...thanks. I am hopeful that the athletic dept. staff will see the "low hanging fruit" for this game and get out in front of it with some "Pack the Pit" promotions. If they need help, I am sure the great drex would be able to provide lots of tried and true suggestions. It is not too early for there to be some planning going on surrounding this home game. I don't think it necessary to "wait" until football is over to start getting the word and excitement out about this game.

Thanks for helping to get the crowd out for the OK State game. Maybe someone else on campus might come up with an innovative way or two or three to help get the students to turn out. While the student turnout for the OK State game was OK, it was not nearly what should/could have been in the Pit that evening. Just think what might have happened to attendance if you had not put up all those signs?

GO MEAN GREEN...BEAT TTECH!!!!!

I am hopeful that the athletic dept. staff will see the "low hanging fruit" for this game and get out in front of it with some "Pack the Pit" promotions.

I was hopeful and wishing that the inevitable grumbling about promotion for this game wouldn't start before the end of summer, at least.

Now, my other hand is full of poop and I have a new appreciation for rhetorical idioms.

Edited by TheTastyGreek
  • Upvote 2

I was hopeful and wishing that the inevitable grumbling about promotion for this game wouldn't start before the end of summer, at least.

Now, my other hand is full of poop and I have a new appreciation for rhetorical idioms.

Who else can we blame? Ourselves? We need blimp to circle Denton the entire of summer with a big graphic on the side that says: Clash of the Titans 2: UNT vs. TT, be there or die

Edited by Keith7
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Who else can we blame? Ourselves? We need blimp to circle Denton the entity of summer with a big graphic one the side that says: Clash of the Titans 2: UNT vs. TT, be there or die

I was thinking we could somehow tap into the disaster alert network and use those air raid sirens and loudspeakers to broadcast an hourly promotional message.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I was thinking we could somehow tap into the disaster alert network and use those air raid sirens and loudspeakers to broadcast an hourly promotional message.

Sigh......

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1