Scrimmage Today

untjim1995

I went to the scrimmage today, which was my first time to see this year's team. I am curious to hear what others thought that attended. In my opinion, Rodge didn't have a very good session--that could be for any number of reasons, but the defense looked strong. Very good pass rush. Hopefully, this is the season that "worst college football defense" is not mentioned with North Texas anymore.

I went to the scrimmage today, which was my first time to see this year's team. I am curious to hear what others thought that attended. In my opinion, Rodge didn't have a very good session--that could be for any number of reasons, but the defense looked strong. Very good pass rush. Hopefully, this is the season that "worst college football defense" is not mentioned with North Texas anymore.

I thought Riley looked terrible today. His arm strength is just not there as he lofted too many passses. Luckily he doesn't need to have great strength in this offense , but more accurracy and that's something he has down pat. He made a few throws that could have easily been picked and after the one that actually did get picked he became gunshy. There were several plays in which he took off running or it was a designed run. I don't understand either , it doesn't really help you out when you know the DEF can't hit you. I started to voice some concerns over on the green gang blog , but got blasted. Again this is just practice so I won't say this season is already down the drain , it can't easily get turned around.

Tune I thought was great however. He Is a capable backup as long as he doesn't have to check off his 1st WR. He gets the ball out quick and him a Brainard seem to be very much on the same page. My biggest concern with him is that if that the 1st WR is covered he gets happy feet and looks a bit uncomfortable.

I saw Baine in limited action. He moves great , but I noticed he hasn't gotten down just how to protect the ball. He kept it away from his body, below his waist with one hand on it while scrambling

Thompson is a big strong kid who has potential , but will probably redshirt.

I still saw way too many missed tackles for this being so late in the pre season. It will be a long season if this issue doesn't get...tackled B)

Gilmore looks very out of place @ DT. I've been a big supporter of his defending him , but he just doesn't go hard in the trenches. He plays like he's not happy being at the DT , which I couldn't blame him.I think it's hard for him being so tall as he is stood up on every play and he is not that powerful enough in the legs to be able to get down and try to overpower someone who is bigger than he is. His main asset is his speed and if he's down in the trenches he really can't use it

Edited by NT03

Yeah, you got blasted alright. I was the only one who didnt blast you and you didnt even answer my question, jerk. :)

I was the one who asked what positive you took away from the scrimmage.

One of the biggest weapons on this offense this year is actually Rodge's feet, and it is impossible to tell how truly effective they will be until we get into some live action. It is concerning to hear that the defense is still having so much trouble tackling, just don;t get how you cant tackle at this level. Hopefully that will be addressed heavily this week.

It does sound like our defense has stepped up with regards to disguising coverages, and getting pressure on the quarterback. That alone will make a huge difference. especially against BSU who will be breaking in 4 new o-linemen. I still remember 2 years ago how painful that was. So does Vizza.

I am starting to get that preseason optimism, and I am doing everything I can to temper it until we play our first game.

Yeah, you got blasted alright. I was the only one who didnt blast you and you didnt even answer my question, jerk. :)

I was the one who asked what positive you took away from the scrimmage.

One of the biggest weapons on this offense this year is actually Rodge's feet, and it is impossible to tell how truly effective they will be until we get into some live action. It is concerning to hear that the defense is still having so much trouble tackling, just don;t get how you cant tackle at this level. Hopefully that will be addressed heavily this week.

It does sound like our defense has stepped up with regards to disguising coverages, and getting pressure on the quarterback. That alone will make a huge difference. especially against BSU who will be breaking in 4 new o-linemen. I still remember 2 years ago how painful that was. So does Vizza.

I am starting to get that preseason optimism, and I am doing everything I can to temper it until we play our first game.

Man I was asked so many questions at once it wasn't even funny :D . I answered most , but they didn't submit everything I sent in.

I thought Dunbar looked outstanding as did the O Line. Brainard catches everything you throw to him and Tobe is a vocal leader and I don't know if we have had anyone doing that the past few yaers.

I thought AK also had a very nice day.

Defense is improved yes , but that's like saying I improved on my report card this year when I failed every class last year. Missed tackles are the death of any DEF

I want to have high expectations , but until they are proved on the field I just can't.

Edited by NT03

I too went to the scrimmage today...I think NT03 and I were watching different teams and different players. His impression of the state of the team is nowhere near mine. I came away knowing that we have some excellent running backs, a very capable backup QB, some very active linebackers, a much better coverage secondary, a better tackling squad (yes, still some work to do, but it was a scrimmage), a much improved OL and a DL...while not where I would like it to be right now, still improved over what we have seen the last couple of years.

As to Riley, yes, if you were looking for his mistakes and came with the opinion that he is not the QB UNT needs, then...OK, he had some challenges today...however, I saw quickness, I saw a kid very capable of running the offense. Did he miss a couple of passes he should definitely have hit...YES...did his receivers drop a couple they definitely should have caught...YES...did his arm strength look wonderful today? Well, I have to agree that some passes seem to have been lofted and ripe for picks. Were those the majority? Not from where I was sitting. I am fully ready to see Riley lead this offense into the Ball State game and into a much more successful year than the last two.

BTW...even though SUMG ragged on me the entire time...it was a great day to be with members of the Mean Green Nation. My thanks to all who came out to watch the Mean Green scrimmage today. Can't wait for the season to get here....GO MEAN GREEN!

I too went to the scrimmage today...I think NT03 and I were watching different teams and different players. His impression of the state of the team is nowhere near mine. I came away knowing that we have some excellent running backs, a very capable backup QB, some very active linebackers, a much better coverage secondary, a better tackling squad (yes, still some work to do, but it was a scrimmage), a much improved OL and a DL...while not where I would like it to be right now, still improved over what we have seen the last couple of years.

Where were they selling the Kool Aid at this morning ?? :D

I came away feeling about the same you did. My take is that I expect to win at least 6 games year in a year out. I really don't think that should EVER be out of the question for us MeanGreen Faithful no matter what the circumstance. I just don't see 6 wins , thus I'm not jumping up and down with joy over the upcoming season. I hope to HELL I'm wrong tho

And your right , in Riley's defense there were a few dropped passes by the WRs

Edited by NT03

NT03,

It became painfully aware who is on the chat....mostly parents!

I guess they don't read this board much!

Anyway, you stated your points, in the face of immense challenge, with poise and facts.

As hopeful as I am (this is the time of year us half-full guys thrive), 4 wins is about where my expectations are as well. My attempts to keep my enthusiasm tempered have been squashed by a remarkably strong upgrade to the Athletic Department website. Communication this year has been off the charts. The practice and scrimmage chats are a real nice source for all but the two that fought so hard for practice access, and take advantage of it (just kidding, Rick).

From what I can see, here are a few reasons we should get to four:

** 6 home games.

** One game against a BCS stud.

** Coach Dodge is maturing and adjusting.

** Increased quality depth at a number of positions.

** More of the defensive and offensive systems are getting installed than in the two previous years, because the players that are first and second team are capable of playing it.

** Improved attitude and team speed.

** A more experienced and capable coaching staff.

If injuries are kept to a minimum, and if we steal a win early, 5-6 wins is not out of the question.

But, GMG.

NT03,

It became painfully aware who is on the chat....mostly parents!

I guess they don't read this board much!

Anyway, you stated your points, in the face of immense challenge, with poise and facts.

As hopeful as I am (this is the time of year us half-full guys thrive), 4 wins is about where my expectations are as well. My attempts to keep my enthusiasm tempered have been squashed by a remarkably strong upgrade to the Athletic Department website. Communication this year has been off the charts. The practice and scrimmage chats are a real nice source for all but the two that fought so hard for practice access, and take advantage of it (just kidding, Rick).

From what I can see, here are a few reasons we should get to four:

** 6 home games.

** One game against a BCS stud.

** Coach Dodge is maturing and adjusting.

** Increased quality depth at a number of positions.

** More of the defensive and offensive systems are getting installed than in the two previous years, because the players that are first and second team are capable of playing it.

** Improved attitude and team speed.

** A more experienced and capable coaching staff.

If injuries are kept to a minimum, and if we steal a win early, 5-6 wins is not out of the question.

But, GMG.

Yes your right. A lot of parents from out of town and hopefully some students new to the program. I just bit my tongue and didn't want it to get out of hand.

I love their enthusiasm and it's very much welcomed. I think it's just hard for anyone who has been around the last 5 + years to get their hopes up too much.

Everything on this team is improved , but we also have to accept the fact on just how far we were from everyone last year and that those teams too also probably feel improved.

I'm hoping for 4 wins , but doesn't mean I'm satisfied with that. I don't think there should be any excuse why we can't at least be bowl eligible year in and year out.

GMG !

Edited by NT03

Yes your right. A lot of parents from out of town and hopefully some students new to the program. I just bit my tongue and didn't want it to get out of hand.

I love their enthusiasm and it's very much welcomed. I think it's just hard for anyone who has been around the last 5 + years to get their hopes up too much.

Everything on this team is improved , but we also have to accept the fact on just how far we were from everyone last year and that those teams too also probably feel improved.

I'm hoping for 4 wins , but doesn't mean I'm satisfied with that. I don't think there should be any excuse why we can't at least be bowl eligible year in and year out.

GMG !

We can debate this all we want, but we won't have a feel for this team really until the Ball State game. If we are as bad as last year, then we will lose by 50 points. If we are improved, then we will make a game of it. As for Gilmore, unfortunately, he has never been an "every down" player at either position. It's not unhappiness with DT (though he may well be), but his approach to playing that needs changing. I think that Nelson sees that. Gilmore has every chance in the world to contribute and excel this year. It is up to him. Potential and talent don't mean anything. It is consistent performance that counts.

I certainly saw an improved team today. I couldn't help but notice how much more comfortable and at ease Riley looked in the pocket and with the system than Vizza. He is a freshman who can make a difference immediately. He has quick reads and quick feet. He will be a pleasure to watch. If we get an improved performance from the defense like I believe we will, who knows how many we may win? Think of how much more depth and team speed we can roll out as well. It is not like the schedule is overwhelming. These are teams we can play with except Alabama. There is no reason we can't be in the other 11 games. Who knows at that point. What you see in a scrimmage is just a glimpse of what may be.

Lets back the boys!

GMG

OK, time for a little humor...best line delivered by a Mean Green fan in the stands at the scrimmage today...from none other than the Mean Green's own super fan, Rick Spears...Rick, it's classic...I hope your bride does not see this board, but the line is priceless and should be shared...

"That guy moves like my wife...a concrete block with hair"!!!!!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

By the way...I've already used it on my bride today...for some reason that escapes me, she did not seem to think it was as funny as I do! Thanks for the line, Rick.... Greatness! :clapping:

(just to be fair, Rick was also very complementary of his bride, so we all know he was just kidding...besides we also know Rick's wife is already marked for sainthood staying married to Rick for as long as she has)

I last saw this team 10 days ago, missed the scrimmage last week but made the one today. I observed the defense to be much improved over 10 days ago, more pressure and better overall secondary coverage resulting in frustrated QBs running several times. Riley is very poised for a RS Freshman, he plays more like a junior. I read that the Ball State RS Frosh QB was reported as "nervous" in his team's first scrimmage. He will probably be moreso in his first actual start...we need to take advantage of that and not let him get confidence.

Riley seems to enjoy running the football and he is elusive and deceptively quick. I hope we can keep him healthy in live action, although Tune is also looking very capable as second QB. The FG kickers did well today too, Knott hitting from 50.

I'm hopefully optomistic that we are better than last season (as always this time of year) but after the last two season letdowns I don't know exactly what to expect yet. There is a lot of pressure on TDodge to win and make better game corrections to stay close. I believe I see better but we'll know for sure in 12 days!

Guest GrayEagleOne

Today was not a shining moment for either the offense or the defense although I was more heartened by the defense's performance.

When you're running all three units it's hard to realize which unit is dominating...especially when there are some players out and some are playing on multiple units. Ovetall, I liked the play of the linebackers and the defensive backs but I was really happy with the defensive line which had been a major concern for me. They were able to disrupt the offensive flow causing a few bad throws by Rylie. Blitzes resulted in incompletions. Coverage was mostly good but there were a few dropped passes not due to coverage. The sacks that I remember were because there was no receiver open. I don't know where our defense will rank nationally but they should be middle of the pack, or better, in the SBC.

I see this year's offense as improved over last year's. Riley makes better decisions and shows more speed than any of the other Belt quarterbacks that I can remember. He is more accurate than our previous quarterbacks and usually throws where there is little chance for interceptions. He handled the pressure today pretty well but didn't have his best game. The offensive line was not at its best today but still held up well against a much improved defensive line. The running backs were a disappointment. Cam fumbled again, Dunbar only had a couple of nice gains and I don't remember seeing Mosley gain anything. Mathis was the most effective playing with the third unit. He did have a touchdown run.

This scrimmage was a mixed bag. I saw improvement where I had concern and disappointment in areas where I thought we were stronger. At least it's not the other way around.

Watched the scrimmage...All in all came away optimistic, but realistic... There was definately a fire and a passion I haven't seen in a few years...

Honestly was just happy to get the wife and 1 yr old out for some football on a beautiful Saturday morning... Kudos to the Athletic Department, coaching staff or whomever was responsible for the decision.