former receiver George Marshall arrested

LoveMG

Mean Green receiver Marshall arrested

01/26/2003

By Megan Middleton / Staff Writer

George L. Marshall, who played wide receiver for the University of North Texas football team for the last four seasons, was arrested and placed in Denton County jail Friday afternoon on a Class B misdemeanor charge of theft.

Mr. Marshall, a senior at the university, was released later Friday evening on $500 bail.

Mr. Marshall said Saturday night that he did not want to comment on the incident.

According to a University of North Texas police report, in September 2002, a vehicle in a parking lot on Welch Street was burglarized and a UNT "D" faculty and staff hanging parking permit was stolen from it. The value of the hangtag was listed at $105.

In December, Mr. Marshall’s vehicle was parked illegally and when a parking attendant was in the process of issuing a parking citation, the parking decal number came back as stolen, said UNT police Lt. Jim Coffey.

"He was using a stolen permit," Lt. Coffey said. "A warrant was obtained in January for him as a result of the original offense report."

Lt. Coffey said that it is not clear whether Mr. Marshall had any involvement in the original burglary of the vehicle.

"The original offense was reported as burglary," he said. "All we are able to prove at this point is that George was using a stolen permit. We don’t know if he committed the original offense or not."

Rick Villarreal, athletics director at UNT, said the athletics department was made aware of the situation and encouraged Mr. Marshall to go to the police.

"I’m disappointed in this matter, but I’ve talked to George about it, and I feel he’s prepared to handle it in the proper manner," Mr. Villarreal said.

Weren't there several athletes that got parking tickets this year because they parked thier car to practice and did not have a permit for that lot? Rick V came out and said that if all the other students had to buy stickers, the athletes did too. It seemed silly that they had to pay however much it is for a permit simply to practice to represent the University.

Rick V came out and said that if all the other students had to buy stickers, the athletes did too.  It seemed silly that they had to pay however much it is for a permit simply to practice to represent the University.

Thats just silly IronMan. Athletes are students first and if the NCAA won't let the U buy them a parking pass, then they should buy it. I feel sure that academic and music scholarship as well as finacial need students have to pay for their passes. If they can't pay the cost of a permit then how are they paying for gas, ins and a car? If they really can't afford it they can take a bus.

Thats a silly comment.

Seeya,

Shane

I agree with Shane. Yes they are practicing to support the University. But they are also taking classes and if they need to drive to practice then they need to drive to class as well and need a parking sticker. Fouts is no longer an open lot. Stickers are mandatory ANYWHERE on campus now. So they need to have one like the rest of us. So just because they put on a football uniform on Saturdays in the fall that doesn't mean they should park for free.

Iron Man 4, if you mean that they should get it for free because they represent the school, then I want a refund. As a member of the Green Brigade I represent the school too. But see, it doesn't work that way!!!! Sorry! And if I misinterpreted you, then I am also sorry!

Weren't there several athletes that got parking tickets this year because they parked thier car to practice and did not have a permit for that lot?  Rick V came out and said that if all the other students had to buy stickers, the athletes did too.  It seemed silly that they had to pay however much it is for a permit simply to practice to represent the University.

You are correct I know from a friend who works for the unt ticketers and said they had ticketed a lot of players, but you have to remember the players are students too! if they had a C permit or an R permit like they are subposed to they wouldn't be getting in trouble.

It seemed silly that they had to pay however much it is for a permit

Thats just silly IronMan.

Thats a silly comment.

Silly. Silly. Silly. Everything is silly.

blink.gif

Seriously, I know that every lot requires a sticker and everyone should have to pay for it, which is why I ride the shuttle from University Courtyards every day and don't spend a dime.

MGF, if you got a ticket for parking near Fouts to practice band, then I would say the same thing.

My new stance is that athletes should park at UC, ride the shuttle and not worry about it, there are two or three routes that got to Fouts and routes now run until 2 a.m..

Well, I disagree. Where were you at 5 this morning? I would bet it was asleep, and that is the same for most of you. Our football players were lifting weights. Afer that they do Spring practice and the Spring game, after that more weights until Summer "volunteer" workouts and sure they are voluntary but try not showing up for them.. you will see how voluntary they are. The they start two-a-days where they work their asses off in 1000+ degree weather twice a day running the same damn plays over and over again. The the season comes and the very first reward they get is to go to Norman Oklahoma and hand over a 500K dollar check to the University for getting destroyed most likely. And you say that we can't let them park at FOUTS FIELD for free? Gimme a damn break people. A football player does three times as much as any band member, basketball player, or any other sport for that matter. EagleChick, wewre you up at a mandatry tuba meeting at 5 a.m. every day since you got back to school? Didn't think so.

If it is against NCAA rules than rope off an area that is just for them or let them park on the damn grass or something. Charging a player to come to a 5 am mandatory workout is preposterous. And asking him to get up an hour earlier to go park somewhere else and take a shuttle to an empty lot is even more preposterous.

UNT 96,

I agree. Football players are very hard workers and work harder than some people. But they are students as well. And like other students they have to pay fees. By roping off areas or having them park on grass is practically the same thing as parking without a permit. They still are parking for free. But I totally agree with the fact that football players are very hard working dedicated people!!!!

And I resent the comment about band members. No we don't lift weights at 5 in the morning, but we work really hard at what we do to have a good performance. And you can't compare football players to band members. Both events require different things to be successful. Being in a marching band that plays to the caliber the Green Brigade does is hard and stressful. Don't believe me? Then come out in August and join the band. Still don't believe me? In 2002 I got second degree burns on my legs and lost about 12 pounds from marching during our band camp week in August. We have to memorize music to a show within 2 days and usually have about 3 to 4 days to learn the drill to it and be ready to perform it at the first game.

Yes football players are hard working. Just don't say that no one is as hard working as them. The band, cheerleaders, dance team, and everyone else works just as hard as they do but in each organization's own respective ways.

EagleChick, wewre you up at a mandatry tuba meeting at 5 a.m. every day since you got back to school?

what?! I didn't say anything about if they should be able to park at fouts or not but now that you bring me into this.........

I don't think the student coaches should have to buy permits just to park at their work. If my job made me pay the huge, ripoff ammount NT charges for a permit just to park at my job....I would be very mad. (And parking at my job is bad enough as it is...imagine fighting with 3million minivan moms at 3pm in a school zone...all fighting for that last parking spot...not pretty!)

The athletes...at first I thought they shoudn't have to pay just to practice out there but then I realized I have to have a dumb permit to park near the GAB to "practice" in the journalsim lab on the weekends and at night. So I don't know.

96, I gotta diagree with you on this one.

The football players know what they come here to do. They are here to play football in exchange for a scholarship. That is it nothing more. They don't deserve a reserved parking space anymrore than an acadmic scholar or a music major that goes on to recieve 5 grammy nominations. If they practiced at a place that required an ADDITIONAL parking pass, then I might agree with you. But the fact is that they are required to buy the same pass that all other students buy.

If they got to park for free during practice, then they would still have to buy a pass to drive to school.

I can't see this issue from any other angle excet that they should be required to buy the same pass as everyone else.

Seeya,

ShaneB

Seeing how the state does not pay for parking for state universities, the money has to come from somewhere. Saying that student coaches, profs, staff, etc. shouldn't pay is, in my opinion, crazy. Take away all the people that are paid by UNT (that park on campus but don't have to pay), and you end up with students footing the bill for parking.

First of all Eagle Chick.. sorry, slip of tongue. I mixed you up with UNTFan23. In my day, parking was free at Fouts. Evidently the parking is so bad now that that is not the case anymore. If you give a kid a scholarship including a monthly allowance and do not allow him to have a job anywhere than he deserves to park at the stadium (no where else on campus) for free. Just because he has to be there every day and even on the weekends and holidays. If he wants to upgrade to a better pass to park close to his classes than so be it, he should foot the bill for it. (I always bought the garage parking pass next to the union becasue I was always 10 minutes lae to class!)

I can not see any other SERIOUS Div IA school in the country try to charge their players to park at their mandatory practices.

As far as the band, other sports, and other student clubs and the time that they take. Take the time you have to put into it and multiply it by 50 and you will be somewhat close to what the football players have to put in. It comes out to about $.13 an hour; but some people have no choice and others love the game. LUCKILY, the athletes are offered drm space very close to the foield in both Mozart Square and that other ugly pink building where they can walk to school and yes, they can park their cars there. So why is it different to park their cars at their dorm but not at Fouts Field?

Looks like we just disagree with each other on this. Still has nothing to do with the fact that Marshall stole a permit and got busted for doing it which is the original by line on this thread. He was wrong and should be punished for it; whether he accepted a stolen pass or stole it himself is irrellevant. He shouldn't have been using it. It would be like me trying to use a handicap sticker to park for free right nest to the stadium at a Cowboys game, just illegal, that's all. Whether I stole it or not, it is illegal.

Nobody should park at the courtyard apts unless they have the UC sticker cause they are joining the evil forces of denton and towing cars now.  

There are several vistor parking spots, many of which are right by the bus stop.

What's up with calling a draw on 3rd and 8? This is all Dickey's fault.