New Hotel And Convention Center News.

What else is new......... Denton, do you really need to hire a consulting group to decide about a breath-taking project such as this.. Does anyone else wonder why big projects always seem to falter in Denton??? Rayzor Ranch Marketplace, Rayzor Ranch Town Center, Tom Thumb in S. Denton, Sam's Club a few years back, Fry Street Village.....Many other numerous exciting projects as well throughout the years. Actually I am proposing to do a bldg project here in Denton, and found that the REAL problem with Denton is the Planning and Engineering Departments here in Denton, but enough about that.

Hotel likely to be similar to the one in San Marcos, with 283 rooms and being 10 stories tall. Beautiful.

Hotel construction will likely start at the same time as the new football stadium's construction in January, lets only hope so.

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/...21.e6bfc31.html

Edited by UNT_playmaker

I don't see how it is the city's fault for the failures and misfortune of those heading up Rayzor Ranch and The Fry St. Project.

If anything... the city has been more than accommodating for those groups to be successful.

Really? By blocking the plans for Fry St Village? I don't see that as "more than accommodating," and it's why I am strongly considering running against one of the council members who has consistently been a stumbling block for development projects for Denton.

Really? By blocking the plans for Fry St Village? I don't see that as "more than accommodating," and it's why I am strongly considering running against one of the council members who has consistently been a stumbling block for development projects for Denton.

Are you referring to the drive thru or no drive thru thing?

If that is the case then i know that when it comes to the developer... even though he keeps referring to that as the key issue... that really isn't the issue.

It's all a money thang!

I don't see how it is the city's fault for the failures and misfortune of those heading up Rayzor Ranch and The Fry St. Project.

If anything... the city has been more than accommodating for those groups to be successful.

In the past the city of Denton was rarely accommodating to development, many old nestors wanted no change. It basically looks the same now as 30 years ago.

"The hope is for UNT to break ground on the conference center at the same time the university breaks ground on a new football stadium in January, said UNT President Gretchen Bataille."

It's nice to see a stadium reference mentioned. Hopefully they will coordinate a groundbreaking ceremony with a men's basketball game to spur fans to come up to Denton.

In the past the city of Denton was rarely accommodating to development, many old nestors wanted no change. It basically looks the same now as 30 years ago.

You might know more than I.... But, what I see is Denton offering incentives, tax breaks and timeline renegotiations (rayzor ranch) to help get projects off the ground.

I see Denton being helpful... I blame the developers and the economy more than I do the city council.

Hold the wagons fellers. This deal is in its infancy. Mr. Hammons builds near universities. From what I read he understands that Denton is a good market to build IN. It will take time like the stadium. Unfortunately, these things don't happen overnight. It is in the very early stages, though. Keep the faith.

GMG

Are you referring to the drive thru or no drive thru thing?

If that is the case then i know that when it comes to the developer... even though he keeps referring to that as the key issue... that really isn't the issue.

It's all a money thang!

Interesting because I worked with the guys preleasing this project in Dallas and it all hinged on Walgreen's and Walgreen's would not do the deal without a drive thru. Not to say if money was not tight they would have figured something else out by now. But I am fairly sure if the drive thru had not been an issue the development would be done by now. Funny it never seems to be an issue in any other town.

Rayzor Ranch is moving along, slower then would be liked but that is the Nature of Retail Development in our economy at the moment. Walmart and Sam's are still on track plus a variety of other national tenants. I still fly it about once a month, the north side will open first.

Travis, i believe that you work for the city of Denton and the departments that are responsible for the undevelopment of Denton is the planning and zoning, bldg inspections, and engineering depts. I have been working for a year to build three bldgs here in Denton and scaled back my plans to build just one, but encountered so many problems that the entire project is in jeopardy. I asked the city about UNT's process for any type of project and was told the universities do not have to go through the city at all and are immune to any city oversight and they go through the state. If UNT had to go through the City of Denton it would be 1/5th the size it is today.

Accommodating? What has gone up in Denton since the shopping center across from Wal-mart, back in 2003, Unicorn Lake where the Pourhouse is located was originally supposed to be a large grocery store/ Whole Foods/ with large retail anchors such as Kohls and several great high end restuarants. Until now in 2009, things have just now started to go up and is such a waste of great land near I-35 to become offices to real estate agents and bank branches.

Fry Street Village: The developers had so much interest in making Fry Street a new tourist destination for Denton, they were going to have a chipotle, snuffers, cafe brazil, apartments, coffee shops, and scrapped all plans after the city butted in, now the land sits as a reminder as to why new development isn't in store for the city.

Rayzor Ranch: after talking with several civil enigneers and former city officials, the Rayzor Ranch was told to upgrade and put in so many things by the city that they werent required to do in other cities. The city told them to build a 2 million dollar drainage channel that wasnt initially in there immediate plans, the Rayzor people fought it and made changes and by the time they wanted to proceed the economy caved in and you have an what it is a 420 acre disaster.

Port 35: 2 Major Business Parks and an Industrial Park faced alot of back logs with the city because of the undeveloped land, developers were very interested in the project and were ready to get started this year on the ten-year project but cited economic reasons and no interest from other developers and pulled the plug on the project this year.

Hunter Ranch, Cole Ranch, and Craver Ranch: All housing developmetns expected to bring in over 30,000 new homes in the Denton area: All have either been canceled or stalled by the city and in the process of being pulled by the developers.

2005-2006: Tom Thumb wanted to build a large grocery store in South Denton which is a great market since all that Denton has is Krogers and Albertson's. City denied them to even set foot in Denton because they wouldnt issue them a beer and wine license, not kidding. They left Denton and never looked back. Kroger was allowed to build their third store in the area in 2008.

1990's: Sam's Club wanted to build a store in Denton desperately because of the success of the Wal-mart Supercenter in Denton, they faced obstacles and went to Lewisville, which was happy to accept all the new developments that had been turned down in Denton.

I know these things because I haved lived in Denton my enitre life and have lived through all of these debacles. Also I havemy own property management company here in Denton and deal extensively with all departments of the city. I have talked with Mayor Burroughs about my project in particular and he to was disgusted with cities policies, which is why he ran his campaign to allow more development and be more pro-business. As he noted more than 50% of Denton is undeveloped.

If anyone still believes that I dont know what I am talking about, look at how fast other shopping centers and developments have gone through in Keller, Frisco, Allen, Mckinney, Lewisville, and Grapevine. Since Rayzor Ranch was first mentioned in 2006, many other developments have been proposed in other cities and completed. While in Denton, they are still just turning the same dirt, waiting to get permission from the city to get started.

Edited by UNT_playmaker

Fry Street Village: The developers had so much interest in making Fry Street a new tourist destination for Denton, they were going to have a chipotle, snuffers, cafe brazil, apartments, coffee shops, and scrapped all plans after the city butted in, now the land sits as a reminder as to why new development isn't in store for the city.

Rayzor Ranch: after talking with several civil enigneers and former city officials, the Rayzor Ranch was told to upgrade and put in so many things by the city that they werent required to do in other cities. The city told them to build a 2 million dollar drainage channel that wasnt initially in there immediate plans, the Rayzor people fought it and made changes and by the time they wanted to proceed the economy caved in and you have an what it is a 420 acre disaster.

Port 35: 2 Major Business Parks and an Industrial Park faced alot of back logs with the city because of the undeveloped land, developers were very interested in the project and were ready to get started this year on the ten-year project but cited economic reasons and no interest from other developers and pulled the plug on the project this year.

2005-2006: Tom Thumb wanted to build a large grocery store in South Denton which is a great market since all that Denton has is Krogers and Albertson's. City denied them to even set foot in Denton because they wouldnt issue them a beer and wine license, not kidding. They left Denton and never looked back. Kroger was allowed to build their third store in the area in 2008.

1990's: Sam's Club wanted to build a store in Denton desperately because of the success of the Wal-mart Supercenter in Denton, they faced obstacles and went to Lewisville, which was happy to accept all the new developments that had been turned down in Denton.

I know these things because I haved lived in Denton my enitre life and have lived through all of these debacles. Also I havemy own property management company here in Denton and deal extensively with all departments of the city. I have talked with Mayor Burroughs about my project in particular and he to was disgusted with cities policies, which is why he ran his campaign to allow more development and be more pro-business. As he noted more than 50% of Denton is undeveloped.

All I can say is what I have been told.... But, many of those things you say were stalled by the city especially the fry st. deal was because of the money issues the developer himself had. Some of those issues were bad decision making on their part. it was easier to point out this issue of a drive thru rather than to say he didn't have resources to move this thing. Port 35 as you said seemed to be victim of economic issues and lack of interest... but, i don't see the city's fault in this.

As for what the city required for the rayzor crew I would like to know why they made those request and how reasonable they were. I don't know these things. But, i do know they have extended deadlines and tax breaks to get this thing going. If they didn't want them here they wouldn't do these things in the first place.

In the 90's it was widely known that city officials wanted a small town so they forced a lot of people away.... But, from my circle I hear that has changed in many, many ways. We have a long way to go to bring in more business that will support city infrastructure. But, to me, blaming the city council solely is a bit unfair.

And yes, i worked for the city at one point, now I work for the university.... and I too have lived here all my life. But, i don't think that has anything to do with this conversation but I am glad we can share our origins and employment.

If anyone still believes that I dont know what I am talking about, look at how fast other shopping centers and developments have gone through in Keller, Frisco, Allen, Mckinney, Lewisville, and Grapevine. Since Rayzor Ranch was first mentioned in 2006, many other developments have been proposed in other cities and completed. While in Denton, they are still just turning the same dirt, waiting to get permission from the city to get started.

And if Denton doesn't elect new leaders, it will become the most underdeveloped city in the North Texas area as others modernize and grow. We have two universities, an airport, we sit at the intersection of two major interstates, and half this town is in dire need of infrastructure upgrades and commercial services.

The 5 largest employers in Denton (in order) are: UNT, Denton ISD, TWU, Denton State School, and the County of Denton. The top five employers are government entities! #6 is Peterbilt at 1,404 employees in a city the population of over 115,000. Wanna know why traffic in Denton is so bad? The people who live here don't work here! I myself commute to Dallas so I can work. And believe me, I get email alerts on jobs in my field every day and it is extremely rare that I see any postings in Denton.

Edited by UNTflyer

And if Denton doesn't elect new leaders, it will become the most underdeveloped city in the North Texas area as others modernize and grow. We have two universities, an airport, we sit at the intersection of two major interstates, and half this town is in dire need of infrastructure upgrades and commercial services.

The 5 largest employers in Denton (in order) are: UNT, Denton ISD, TWU, Denton State School, and the County of Denton. The top five employers are government entities! #6 is Peterbilt at 1,404 employees in a city the population of over 115,000. Wanna know why traffic in Denton is so bad? The people who live here don't work here! I myself commute to Dallas so I can work. And believe me, I get email alerts on jobs in my field every day and it is extremely rare that I see any postings in Denton.

I look forward to you doing something about this.

You would get my vote.

Why is Rayzor Ranch a Disaster? Its not siting idle, and it is not rapped up in bankruptcy court.

RR is moving forward better then many its Size and timing with this economy. Plus you will get your Sam's and a new Super Walmart. And the Land changed hands late in the year 2006 and then they started drawing up plans. Even at full speed we would just now see a couple things open on the North side. So its not that slow.