Unt Soccer Represented At Usys Regional Championships

UNTDude

UNT soccer has a number of current players and new recruits participating with their club teams at the US Youth Soccer Southern Regional Championships being held at Pizza Hut Park in Frisco and Russell Creek Park in Plano June 18-24. Top teams (primarily State champions and Premier League Champions) representing the South and Southeastern part of the U.S. are vying to be the one team in their age group to advance to the National Championships (Final Four) in MA next month. This says a lot about the caliber of recruiting classes Coach Hedlund is bringing into UNT, as virtually all the girls participating in the U-17 thru U-19 age groups are D1 college locks. Link: http://championships.usyouthsoccer.org/regionIII/

Current Players

Kelsey Perlman - Sting 90 ( North TX State Cup Champions)

Shannon Gorrie - Sting 90

Nicki Crocco - Sting 90

Kara Brooks - Sting 91 (Premier League Champions)

Hanna Crawford - TSC Challenge 90 (South TX State Champions)

Julie Lackey - TSC Challenge 90

Rachel Turpin - TSC Challenge 90

Casey Lerond- Dallas Texans 90

2009 Recruits

Ellen Scarfone - Sting 91

Haley Newsom - Sting 91

Chelsea Heimann - Sting 91

Danielle Guilliod - Sting 91

Carly McDowell - Sting 91

I've watched a number of games and all of our girls are seeing major minutes on this national stage. As of today (Sat., June 20) Sting 90 leads their bracket with a 2-0-0 record, TSC Challenge 90 also leads their bracket with a 2-0-0 record. Dallas Texan 90 are still in contention with a 1-0-1 record. Sting 91 lead their bracket with a 2-0-0 record.

Shining UNT moments....On Sting 90, (last years natiional runner up), a team loaded with top D1 player playing at schools like ND, Duke, UT, TAMU, Illinois, Wake Forest, Virginia, etc. (you get the picture).... in today's 2-0 victory verse TN state champions all the goals and assist were from UNT girls!!! Perlman 1 goal 1 assist Gorrie 1 goal.....I also saw McDowell score the first goal in Sting 91's 4-0 victory over the Alabama state champions.

Edited by UNTDude

Nice report...many thanks. Coach Hedlund does a good job recruiting when it comes to the very high quality teams that represent the DFW Metroplex in youth soccer. Just look at the list you presented...have fun the rest of the tournament. Do you have a "connection" to one of the Sting teams?

Nice report...many thanks. Coach Hedlund does a good job recruiting when it comes to the very high quality teams that represent the DFW Metroplex in youth soccer. Just look at the list you presented...have fun the rest of the tournament. Do you have a "connection" to one of the Sting teams?

Yep, my daughter is on Sting.... Challenge 90 & Texans 90 were knocked out in the last day of bracket play on Sunday. Sting 90 (Shoot out to D'feeters) & Sting 91 (3-1 loss to ESC , OK), were knocked out today in the semi-finals. The huge upside for UNT is that most of our sophomores that are listed in the previous post contributed big minutes for their respective teams and it looks like we are bringing in another talented group of freshman. I did get a chance to see all the teams play at least once and UNT soccer was represented well by the high level of play from our girls.

With the brutal schedule we have next year it's nice to see our younger girls playing at such a high level and more importantly developing confidence that will hopefully carry over in the fall.

Great program, Sting! Seems to me on the girls' side these days it;s Sting and Texans with a Solar and a De'feeter team thrown in the top mix now and again. Is that about right? I have always been on the boys' side of Dallas area competitive/select soccer.

Great program, Sting! Seems to me on the girls' side these days it;s Sting and Texans with a Solar and a De'feeter team thrown in the top mix now and again. Is that about right? I have always been on the boys' side of Dallas area competitive/select soccer.

I think you hit the nail on the head. On the girls side of club soccer the Texans and Sting consistently have top teams in most age groups. Although D'feeters, Solar, FC Dallas, etc. may have a top team in one or two age groups, Texan's and Sting still bring in the most talent across all age groups. I keep up with the boys side as well (I'm a big Andromeda 90 & 91 fan)..and would love to see the day that UNT brings back a boys soccer program....but that's for another thread :)