Councilman Walks Away From Mortgage

I think that American cars are also designed with planned obsolescence and maintenance costs. All part of making more money.

I woul say that all cars are designed with "planned obsolescence". That is part of the process, make a car.... sell a car... make a better one. The only cars that aren't obsolete are the brand new ones, the exotics and the classics.... What part of a honda isn't going to be obsolete soon?

I've owned two Mazdas (pre-ford partnership era) and a Honda in my life. Aside from that, I've had four company vehicles, one Dodge and three Fords. Maybe it's just luck of the draw for me, but the three Japanese vehicles were just all around more reliable than the four American vehicles. The biggest difference between the two groups, I have to admit, is in the power. The American vehicles were all much more powerful than the Japanese vehicles. That, however, has never been important to me. I'm a point A to point B kind of guy who neither needs to practice his NASCAR allegiance on the tollway nor sees a vehicle as a visible extension of his manhood.

My theory on the quality difference is this. We know that the technology amongst the world's auto manufacturers is pretty much the same across the board. I think the difference is that Hideke the Japanese auto worker has more stringent production specs and takes more responsibility to stay within them than does Steve the UAW guy. I have no basis in fact whatsoever to support my theory.

I'm not saying the Japanese makes weren't better through a large period of time. They most certainly were. I'm talking about the here and now. Since 1995 both GM and Ford have come a LONG way in bringing the features, quality, fit and finish up to par with both the Japan and Europe's offerings, which are reflected in JD Power and consumer reports reviews today.

...now, if we're talking about say 80-95, we're talking a MUCH different story. With a few execpitons, nothing worth a damn came out of Detroit during that time.

My theory on the quality difference is this. We know that the technology amongst the world's auto manufacturers is pretty much the same across the board. I think the difference is that Hideke the Japanese auto worker has more stringent production specs and takes more responsibility to stay within them than does Steve the UAW guy. I have no basis in fact whatsoever to support my theory.

I disagree. I own a 1989 Honda Civic with almost 168,000 miles that was assembled in their Ohio plant. The only thing that will prevent me from keeping that car forever is that my mechanic says that parts are getting harder to obtain. I see a lot of this generation Civics on the road. I hardly ever see any other manufacturer's vehicles of that era on the road, not even Toyota Corollas.