Wku #12 Seed

UNTflyer

That is true, but we need to schedule bigger than Indiana State for the most part. I mean they shouldn't be the headlines, they should just be a part of it.

Usually the Missouri Valley is one of the strongest, if not THE strongest, Non Power Leagues. It was a bit down this year, but not THAT down. We just got one of their weakest teams that's all.

Can't always control how teams end up being tho. I know when we signed the contract with Indiana State acouple of years ago we figured they'd be way better than they have been the last 2 seasons.

And we had Arkansas and Oklahoma State scheduled too... we had some golden opportunities to do good things this seasons, but came up short during some critical games.... I think White's wrist injury hurt us more than we knew.... he really exploded at the end of the season...

Usually the Missouri Valley is one of the strongest, if not THE strongest, Non Power Leagues. It was a bit down this year, but not THAT down. We just got one of their weakest teams that's all.

The more Missouri Valley teams we play the better. Maybe an A-10 team or two...on the road...like maybe Rhode Island and Fordham for instance.

Just think it would be good for the RPI and tournament resume' to pick up some quality road wins
Just noticed they were in your neck of the woods man, that's all. It'd be like me suggesting playing Cal-State Northridge(tournament team!) next year. Sure, it'd be a decent road game, but really it's a good excuse to get a game I could actually goto. :D

We did play UNC-Charlotte acouple of years ago, so an A-10 game isn't out of the realm of possibility. Maybe we should email Vito and see if he has any idea what we're planning for next year.

All of the conference tournament upsets hurt teams hoping for an at-large bid.

I hate to be a conspiracy theorist, but sometimes I can't help it. When you see only 4 teams, not in the power 6 conferences, get at-large bids you have to start digging into how that came to be. The number of non-power 6 teams getting at large bids is going down every year....and this is happening while the QUALITY of the mid-major teams is improving every year.

The SAME NCAA that levels penalties against smaller schools (APR being one example) while negotiating penalties with the big schools is picking the tournament participants. I can't help but think that the same double standard that exists there also exists in other facets of the NCAA sporting world.

The four non-power conference at large teams are:

1. BYU...BYU is not a mid-major. If their athletic department needs more money for anything, all they have to do is ask their donors for money and they shall receive.

2. Xavier

and

3. Dayton...These two Atlantic Ten schools don't like to be called mid-Majors and with good reason. Last season A-10 schools had average basketball budgets of $2.8 Million...about three times as much as the average Sun Belt budget.

4. Butler...A true mid-major.

The four non-power conference at large teams are:

1. BYU...BYU is not a mid-major. If their athletic department needs more money for anything, all they have to do is ask their donors for money and they shall receive.

2. Xavier

and

3. Dayton...These two Atlantic Ten schools don't like to be called mid-Majors and with good reason. Last season A-10 schools had average basketball budgets of $2.8 Million...about three times as much as the average Sun Belt budget.

4. Butler...A true mid-major.

If you have mid-majors, who are the small majors? I've always thought that term stinks.

Would a stronger non-conference schedule increase NT's chances of procuring an NCAA at-large bid?

IMO it would not.

Since NT has been a member of the Sun Belt, only one Sun Belt team, South Alabama in 2008, has received an at-large bid.

OOC Schedules with conference affiliation:

South Alabama 2008...............................................................North Texas 2009

Vanderbilt (SEC )....................................................................Oklahoma State (Big 12)

Mississippi State (SEC)............................................................Arkansas (SEC)

Mississippi (SEC)....................................................................New Mexico State (WAC)

San Diego (WCC)...................................................................Indiana State (MVC)

Southern Miss (CUSA).............................................................Houston (CUSA)

Chattanooga (Southern)..........................................................Sam Houston (Southland)

Miami OH (MAC).....................................................................Sam Houston (Southland)

Jacksonville (Atlantic Sun).......................................................UTA (Southland)

Grambling (SWAC)..................................................................Jackson State (SWAC)

Houston Baptist (D-2 in 2008)...................................................Houston Baptist (Independent in 2009)

West Florida (D-2)....................................................................Cameron (D-2)

These look like very comparable schedules to me. South Alabama's schedule may be a little stronger, but not by very much. IMO our OOC schedule was good enough. we just need more wins in and out of conference.

Edited by Buford_Julep

If you have mid-majors, who are the small majors? I've always thought that term stinks.

Collegehoops.net breaks it down like this.

LOW-MAJORS

AMERICA EAST

ATLANTIC SUN

BIG SOUTH

Big Sky

IVY

MEAC

Northeast

OVC

Patriot

Southland

Summit

SWAC

BCS

ACC

Big 12

Big East

Big Ten

Pac-10

SEC

High-Major

Atlantic 10

Conference USA

MVC

MWC

WAC

Mid-Major

Big West

Colonial

Horizon

MAC

MAAC

Southern

Sun Belt

WCC

Would a stronger non-conference schedule increase NT's chances of procuring an NCAA at-large bid?

IMO it would not.

Since NT has been a member of the Sun Belt, only one Sun Belt team, South Alabama in 2008, has received an at-large bid.

OOC Schedules with conference affiliation:

South Alabama 2008...............................................................North Texas 2009

Vanderbilt (SEC )....................................................................Oklahoma State (Big 12)

Mississippi State (SEC)............................................................Arkansas (SEC)

Mississippi (SEC)....................................................................New Mexico State (WAC)

San Diego (WCC)...................................................................Indiana State (MVC)

Southern Miss (CUSA).............................................................Houston (CUSA)

Chattanooga (Southern)..........................................................Sam Houston (Southland)

Miami OH (MAC).....................................................................Sam Houston (Southland)

Jacksonville (Atlantic Sun).......................................................UTA (Southland)

Grambling (SWAC)..................................................................Jackson State (SWAC)

Houston Baptist (D-2 in 2008)...................................................Houston Baptist (Independent in 2009)

West Florida (D-2)....................................................................Cameron (D-2)

These look like very comparable schedules to me. South Alabama's schedule may be a little stronger, but not by very much. IMO our OOC schedule was good enough. we just need more wins in and out of conference.

And if I remember correctly they only won one of those SEC games...they beat Mississippi State and lost to Vandy in OT (multiple OT?) and lost a close game to Ole Miss...and I think only Vandy and San Diego made the tourney last year.

Something about a 20 something girl who is oblivious to college basketball reporting it on Yahoo gave me cause for concern.

That and the fact that UNT is the only college Bball I have been able to follow this year, so I had no independant knowledge.

Also too lazy to research my brackets, so it's gonna be kinda like putting on the blindfold and throwing the dart.