Fiu Sez Only Home-home Oc Games As Of 2010

MeanGreen61

Posted on the CUSA board by Tallgrass

FIU RELEASES 2009 FOOTBALL SCHEDULE

By Pete Pelegrin

Miami Herald, December 20, 2009

"On Friday, FIU football announced the date for its 2009 season opener at Alabama."

"The Golden Panthers will visit the Crimson Tide on Sept. 12 after opening the season with a bye week."

"Among the other nonconference games in 2009, FIU plays at South Florida in September and takes a loate November trip to Gainsville to play Florida."

"The Golden Panthers host Toledo in their other nonconfernce game. The rest of the 2009 schedule, which includes eight Sun Belt games, has not been set by the conference."

"The 2009 nonconference schedule is the final season FIU will play guarantee games. Beginning in 2010, the Golden Panthers will start play home and home nonconference games."

"With its new nonconference schedule, FIU is the first Sun Belt team to exclusively schedule home and away games wtih BCS conference teams."

"The top recruits want to play the best competition," FIU Athletic Director Pete Garcia said. "By playing the Alabamas, Floridas, and Texas A&Ms, we are sending the message that we are committed to playing the best programs."

Even if it is sunny Florida I don't see many BCS teams doing a home and home with someone with an 18,000 seat stadium.

So far it seems they have home games lined up with Texas A$M, Louisville, Duke, and UCF. Not bad, I wish we could schedule such....

http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/future_...onal_future.htm

BTW, it now appears Rice is no longer a home game for NT in 2010....

http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/future_...exas_future.htm

Edited by NT80

Guest GrayEagleOne

It is great for them that they have six future home games covered for their only home-home FBS teams in the future but they'll need two per year to make their statement reality. They do not have any home games yet with FBS opponents in 2010 but they do have two away (A&M,UCF). In 2011 they are home for Duke and UCF; Louisville is a home game in 2012 and Texas A&M is listed as a home game, along with UCF. They have another home and home series with Louisville scheduled, but that's it. I still think that's a bold statement to make for a team with the smallest stadium in the FBS.

As to Rice not being on the future schedule on nationalchamps.net, neither is Ohio. Rice is still on the schedule listed on cfbpalace.net but we can't be sure if they will disappear or the schedule is correct as stated. It would not be a great surprise to me if Rice and/or Kansas State tried to either buyout or reschedule their 2010 date because the new stadium won't be completed.

As to Rice not being on the future schedule on nationalchamps.net, neither is Ohio. Rice is still on the schedule listed on cfbpalace.net but we can't be sure if they will disappear or the schedule is correct as stated. It would not be a great surprise to me if Rice and/or Kansas State tried to either buyout or reschedule their 2010 date because the new stadium won't be completed.

Agree, at least with Rice.

After going down to Houston in September and seeing their stadium for the first time in person, I seriously doubt they would back out of coming to Denton because of Fouts. Attendance is not an issue either, they showed up with 16875 (~1500 of those were UNT fans) and have a hard time averaging >18k a season at home.

I would imagine that FIU plays games like the Texas A&M game at Dolphin Stadium... even with overflow, their stadium can barely hold 20K. It is a very good policy though - eliminating money games unless they get a return visit... maybe we could establish a hard stance like that once Fouts v2.0 opens up.

I think they play A&M in their stadium...not Dolphin Stadium. Stadium is suppose to be expanded to hold 45K by 2011, and they play A&M in 2013:

"FIU Stadium underwent an expansion beginning in March 2007, and completed in September 2008, for the 2008 football season. Upon completion, seating capacity was increased to 20,000 seats, including 1,400 club seats. In addition, the stadium has a 6,500-square-foot (600 m2) Panther Club on the ground level, an upper concourse for additional fan seating and concessions, a new press box, new lighting, a jumbotron scoreboard, new coaches' offices, locker rooms, expansion of the weight room, and 19 suites. Seating includes chairback seats and bench seating, all with backrests for fan convenience. Additional phases of construction will include a student support complex and will bring the stadium’s seating capacity to approximately 45,000 by the 2011 football season."

I have been saying this for years!!! IF you do a 3 for 1 or 2 for 1 then you can build your program. These $ games are no good by themselves. But when you get everyone on board then you can achieve the 1 for 1. Why not make UT and LSU travel to Denton? If they won't then their first 4 games are against SFA, SAM, and University of Richmond.

We are so hooked on the $ game we don't realize that the BCS needs us as much as we need them!

As a matter of fact if they looked at it correctly they would not need a playoff if they started the season playing each other instead of 4 mid major teams. So maybe this could work against us!!!!

think of the dough we would rake in from having 2 games at the new stadium if we played UT home and LSU home!!! We would not need a $ game but we could go to Miami and have one anyway!

Also the Non-BCS needs to have their bowl games they claim as their own. Such as a Championship non BCS game!

I have been saying this for years!!! IF you do a 3 for 1 or 2 for 1 then you can build your program. These $ games are no good by themselves. But when you get everyone on board then you can achieve the 1 for 1. Why not make UT and LSU travel to Denton? If they won't then their first 4 games are against SFA, SAM, and University of Richmond.

We are so hooked on the $ game we don't realize that the BCS needs us as much as we need them!

As a matter of fact if they looked at it correctly they would not need a playoff if they started the season playing each other instead of 4 mid major teams. So maybe this could work against us!!!!

think of the dough we would rake in from having 2 games at the new stadium if we played UT home and LSU home!!! We would not need a $ game but we could go to Miami and have one anyway!

Also the Non-BCS needs to have their bowl games they claim as their own. Such as a Championship non BCS game!

The main problem with return games with these programs even if a 2-1 or 3-1 is there is usually a "buyout" clause. The smaller program makes the away game because they want the check, but the BCS program can afford the buyout on the return game. Plus they will make 10 times that amount on hosting another home game. Why would UT play in Denton for a $500K check when they can pay a $200K buyout then make $3 mil for a home game vs Sam Houston (who is very happy to get a token payday)?

Are these "home" games at their stadium, or in the Miami Dolphins' stadium ?

So far it seems they have home games lined up with Texas A$M, Louisville, Duke, and UCF. Not bad, I wish we could schedule such....

http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/future_...onal_future.htm

BTW, it now appears Rice is no longer a home game for NT in 2010....

http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/future_...exas_future.htm