Unt Lands Another Recruit

Brett Vito

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm. No offers, but "Texas State and Eastern New Mexico were showing interest." Wow. Good thing we hired Dodge. Otherwise, how would we be beating the I-AA/FBS schools to the punch in recruiting. More "stealth recruiting" by Dodge?

By the way, all of the Dallas Morning News' State Top 100 OLs are already committed. As we all know, none committed to us. Baylor got two. Only three Area Top 100 OLs remain. SMU has two so far. None have committed to us; one of the remaining three, Brock Wempa of Royse City, lists.

No Area Top 100 DL either has chosen us or lists us. Baylor has a committment from one. On the State DL front, only three of the DMN Top 100 remain on the board - none list us, none have committed to us.

Yeah. We're lucky to have Todd Dodge on board. He's really cleaning up the area and improving recruiting in-state for us. Some people thought the cupboard was bear when Dodge took over; just wait until he leaves.

Hmmm. No offers, but "Texas State and Eastern New Mexico were showing interest." Wow. Good thing we hired Dodge. Otherwise, how would we be beating the I-AA/FBS schools to the punch in recruiting. More "stealth recruiting" by Dodge?

By the way, all of the Dallas Morning News' State Top 100 OLs are already committed. As we all know, none committed to us. Baylor got two. Only three Area Top 100 OLs remain. SMU has two so far. None have committed to us; one of the remaining three, Brock Wempa of Royse City, lists.

No Area Top 100 DL either has chosen us or lists us. Baylor has a committment from one. On the State DL front, only three of the DMN Top 100 remain on the board - none list us, none have committed to us.

Yeah. We're lucky to have Todd Dodge on board. He's really cleaning up the area and improving recruiting in-state for us. Some people thought the cupboard was bear when Dodge took over; just wait until he leaves.

I don't understand why we have yet to offer Wempa.

Glad to know we can still beat out Texas State and Eastern New Mexico for recruiting.............

At 6'3" 215 4.7 perhaps he will switch to LB or Safety? Kids bound to grow another inch or two and in four years probably put on 20lbs.

He did seem to have a nice touch though.

We haven't? He lists us! Please, tell me you are kidding.

He has shown interest before the season even started and NO we have yet to offer. Never offered Huber from Nederland either who had interest as well. Baylor offered and he gave a verbal. I guess he wasn't good enough for us ?? You would think that after losing our top recruit , Flaxx , we would of offered this kid already

Do any of you actually know who he was recruiting in Mississippi? What if it is JUCO OL and DL?

Yes. We do know. But, the point of this thread is to point out what a great job he's doing with the high school recruiting. He was hired to "improve" recruiting around the Dallas-Fort Worth area. He stole one from Texas State and Eastern New Mexico out of Somervell County.

Well...maybe he stole one. TSU and ENMU hadn't offered him yet.

We don't usually pick up LINEMAN... but I'm-a gonna go with my instincts on this one. Saddle up partner!

This post is greatness!

I could use a lot more of this and less fakelonnie and bigntex propoganda.

Yes. We do know. But, the point of this thread is to point out what a great job he's doing with the high school recruiting. He was hired to "improve" recruiting around the Dallas-Fort Worth area. He stole one from Texas State and Eastern New Mexico out of Somervell County.

Well...maybe he stole one. TSU and ENMU hadn't offered him yet.

heaven forbid dodge sign someone that wasn't nationally recruited by all the big boys. ya know...sometimes, good players fly under the radar....

heaven forbid dodge sign someone that wasn't nationally recruited by all the big boys. ya know...sometimes, good players fly under the radar....

If you look at one of the initial replies, you will find he was being looked at by major universities by the scouting publication. Lets

just see what he can do! GMG

TD not recruiting lineman is a shock to me and I don't understand what he is thinking. But could it just be that at this point, he is just offering ships to the best available players regardless of position? He can offer lineman but if he thinks they are not as talented as say other positions then he may just think its better to have the best available talent. I don't necessarily agree with that thinking fully but maybe he does.

If you look at one of the initial replies, you will find he was being looked at by major universities by the scouting publication. Lets

just see what he can do! GMG

i saw that...i was replying to lonnie's comment about dodge beating out the two smaller schools listed. hopefully this kid can play!

Guest GrayEagleOne

I'm not sure that we can use him. Not a QB because he took two snaps under center in his highlight reel. Not fast enough for RB, WR, or DB. Maybe TE for the three plays per game that we use one?

No, seriously, we can always take the best quarterback available every year and I won't complain. But, I don't know haw a QB rating of 107 compares with what's available.

Yes, sometimes. But, not often. We criticized this so-called "stealth recruiting" when Darrell Dickey was here. Now we are to praise it? Give me a break. Also, from the tone of the article, it sounds like the kid is going to play QB, not be moved. Or, at least it sounds like that's what he's been led to believe.

Further, the hiring of Dodge was supposedly going to make us competitive in recruiting, especially around the Metroplex. We won't get one OL from the DMN Top 100 Area or State lists. Almost all of them are already gone; and, those remaining aren't considering us.

As for knowing who he offered in the JUCOs ranks, it's all in Brett Vito's Mean Green Blog: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/

Go skim through it. During our November bye week, Dodge had a bunch of JUCOs in.

Yes, sometimes. But, not often. We criticized this so-called "stealth recruiting" when Darrell Dickey was here. Now we are to praise it? Give me a break. Also, from the tone of the article, it sounds like the kid is going to play QB, not be moved. Or, at least it sounds like that's what he's been led to believe.

Further, the hiring of Dodge was supposedly going to make us competitive in recruiting, especially around the Metroplex. We won't get one OL from the DMN Top 100 Area or State lists. Almost all of them are already gone; and, those remaining aren't considering us.

As for knowing who he offered in the JUCOs ranks, it's all in Brett Vito's Mean Green Blog: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/

Go skim through it. During our November bye week, Dodge had a bunch of JUCOs in.

this isn't stealth recruiting. we know who he recruited. dodge has increased our talent level in recruiting. oldtimer has done many posts on the quality of recruits we have chosen north texas over other bcs schools. as for not having any of the area or state top 100 lineman...that doesn't mean he isn't out there trying. players have a choice where to play, some choose north texas, some don't. there is nothing we can do about that. i'm sure, and i'm assuming, that dodge does the best he can on the recruiting trail about painting a positive picture about north texas to all recruits. the player makes his choice and we move on from there.

this isn't stealth recruiting. we know who he recruited. dodge has increased our talent level in recruiting. oldtimer has done many posts on the quality of recruits we have chosen north texas over other bcs schools. as for not having any of the area or state top 100 lineman...that doesn't mean he isn't out there trying. players have a choice where to play, some choose north texas, some don't. there is nothing we can do about that. i'm sure, and i'm assuming, that dodge does the best he can on the recruiting trail about painting a positive picture about north texas to all recruits. the player makes his choice and we move on from there.

Yes, but remember, the hiring of Dodge was supposed to make us competitive for known players. It hasn't.

Look, there's no way around it. The top players in the area are not considering us. It isn't difficult to understand. Just look at any list. Dallas Morning News, Rivals, Scout...the vast majority of OLs and DLs are gone. Less than a handful even considered us,

It was all part of the big lie - Dodge would have talent flocking to Denton on his name alone. It hasn't happened. Kids don't care. They want to win. We don't win. They can see Dodge isn't changing anything. So, they're not jumping aboard. We've already been beaten locally and statewide for the best, and we're not even ten days into December.

And, yes, the committment of the player from Glen Rose is what we used to deride as "stealth recruiting." The truth is, we haven't improved any in recruiting. We're, at minimum, right back where we were with Dickey or worse. We're scraping the JUCOs, like Dickey used to do, and garnering committments from guys few people have heard of...like Dickey used to do. It eventually worked with Dickey because he had assistants who knew the college game and could develop them. We now lack that even that element.

The truth is, unless you are riding shotgun with Dodge or any of the others coaches, you don't have a clue who, where or what position he is recruiting. Truth is, none of us will know what this class will look like until National Signing Day. Truth is, whoever the class contains, TFLF will bad mouth Dodge for not signing someone. Truth is, this is not "stealth recruiting." Stealth recruiting was DD recruiting a kid, getting his committment and then telling the young man to not say a word to anyone about it. Stealth recruiting was not having a clue until signing day who NT would sign. That is what stealth recruiting is. Truth is, our last two recruiting classes have been rated higher than any of Dickey's, and we don't have any idea who all will end up in this class until their name is signed on the dotted line the first week of February, so stating "We're, at a minimum, right back where we were with Dickey or worse" is a ridiculous comment. Truth is, TFLF will change the arguement to fit his agenda when someone posts facts to refute his claims.

Back to the true intention of this thread:

Welcome to North Texas Derek. I wish you nothing but the best the next four or five years.

Edited by UNTLifer