Mcnulty

filmerj

The world has many of these sad folks...too bad for them...they probably run around depressed all day every day. Don't let these folks get to you...vocal they might be...but a minority they certainly are...and always wil be! Too bad for him....he is missing out on some many great things about college...but, he doesn't care...he just doesn't know what he doesn't know!

Depends on the exec board's spending policies. Most years, Senators get lots of perks, from pizza to dinner out to t-shirts or polos. Also if the SGA banquet isn't privately funded this year he gets in free there. If he gets a plaque or paperweight, SSF money. Also many Senators go to leadership conferences paid out of student money. And a lot of the people that go to the conferences don't want to be bothered by being forced to go to the sessions, they want to treat it as a vacation. That always pissed me off-you get picked out of dozens of eligible participants and when you get there you argue about being "forced" to go to 3 sessions per day because you'd rather go sightseeing (even though after 5pm is all time allotted to free time or optional events).

Unlike the NT Daily, SGA is almost exclusively funded by SSF. I'm more willing to forgive the excesses when other forms of funding come into play, but if you're milking the student body, you need to be responsible to your cash cow.

This was posted by Joe McNulty in the comments....all of the comments people seem to dislike him :lol:

Joe McNulty

posted 10/16/08 @ 2:34 PM CST

First of all I would like to point out that something being a "tradition" is not a justified reason for continuing it. If human beings always depended on tradition the enlightenment would never had happened and we would still have kings and nobles ruling over us. Sometimes people have to stand up and challenge established traditions.

Second, I am not denying that the freshmen interns have worked hard in promoting school spirit and the SGA. As I said I would have been happy to donate money toards a freshmen intern t-shirt fund. I voted against the bill to allocate 570 dollars because its NOT MY MONEY. I have a problem with using other peoples money to pay for things that do not benefit all of the students. Students pay student service fee's to recieve student services. The media library, the recreation center, and the many computer labs are all examples of services that students pay for that they can put to use (although I think it was a waste of money to replace all of the computers in the willis lab but thats another issue).

Third, the idea that my motives for opposing the stadium and this t-shirt bill are selfish is completly laughable. What do I have to gain in opposing this stadium? I am going to be gone by the time the athletic fee increase goes into effect. I am casting these unpopular votes in the senate and voicing these opinions because I care about the students of this university who will have to pay for this stuff.

Edited by Green Mean

I've known this guy since he became a senator with me in the spring last year. He's a huge Ron Paul guy from what I remember. I actually explained why his reasoning on this is flawed in the NTDaily comments. The only reason the senate had to vote on this matter is because the total for the shirts came to $570. If the shirts totaled $400 or less, then President Kline didn't have to ask the senate to approve. SGA has always bought Intern t-shirts. They are used as a tool... not as a reward. He's an idiot.

I've known this guy since he became a senator with me in the spring last year. He's a huge Ron Paul guy from what I remember. I actually explained why his reasoning on this is flawed in the NTDaily comments. The only reason the senate had to vote on this matter is because the total for the shirts came to $570. If the shirts totaled $400 or less, then President Kline didn't have to ask the senate to approve. SGA has always bought Intern t-shirts. They are used as a tool... not as a reward. He's an idiot.

If it instills spirit in the students, who will continue to give to NT after they graduate, I will give the extra $170 to them. damn. What a cheap bunch of !@#! Anything to correct the apathy of students. It conitnues to astound me what little connection they feel. It just doesn't seem right. Whether they like athletics or not.

Edited by filmerj