Attendance vs. Postseason Reward

You're right, of course, on all counts. We did have a great rivalry, and the Cajuns have great fans. And yes, I'm jealous that we don't have a team and the Ragin' Cajuns do (though it is pretty weak). What can I say? Our "leaders" made some really bone-headed mistakes in the 70's and 80's that we are having to deal with now. Worse than SMU getting the "Death Penalty," UTA's adminstration commited athletic suicide in '85.

Fortunately, there is life after Nedderman. We still have that new stadium and a number of other assets that make me hopeful. The same Athletic Director that paid off $10 million of debts and who has gradually improved all our programs to the point that we are hands-down the strongest SLC "All Sports" program is still in the saddle and pushing for football. Stay tuned. I expect we will get a new Arena for Basketball some time sooner than UNT will be getting a new football stadium (mainly because upgrading Fouts will be a much bigger deal).

I want to hear more about that "Sunwest Conference" idea. If UTA gets a new team, do you think we might get invited? We would certainly be in the right neighborhood. Too bad SMU is likely to turn up their nose at the idea.

DuckMav, we aren't upgrading Fouts, and unless you plan on having a replacement for Texas Hall by 2005, then you won't beat us. We are planning on building a new stadium around 2005, once funding is complete, along with a new athletic center and practice fields. Further down the line, we will be adding a new tennis center, baseball diamond, and track and field stadium. Fouts will be a pile of dust with a new dorm sitting in its place before you know it.

Good luck with getting Texas Hall replaced, and better luck getting football back.

"We are planning on building a new stadium around 2005, once funding is complete, along with a new athletic center and practice fields. Further down the line, we will be adding a new tennis center, baseball diamond, and track and field stadium."

I hope it works out that way. For sure, don't let them tear down Fouts until the new one is built! That was mistake number one that was made "back in the day" in Arlington. They tore down the old stadium, and then we went without an on-campus stadium for over 10 years while they tried to raise money. That was not good for the program.

Now we have a tennis center where our old stadium was, lots of new dorms and an ongoing $3 million upgrade of our baseball stadium. While we've been fixing up our little stadium, TCU has built a small palace, called Lupton field. They say it cost more than LaGrave Field, and I believe it.

Wish you guys and SMU would get baseball, so we could have a nice little round-robin in the neighborhood. But in the meanwhile, UNT and UTA should be playing the sports we already have in common, like volleyball, basketball, softball, track, cross country, golf and women's tennis. Did I leave any out?