How Much Do We Really Know?

emmitt01

I know it's easy to look at what we did last season, what our opponents did last season, and then try to extrapolate what we will do against them this season. Or is it? How much do we really know about this team? Not to blow sunshine up anyone's a$$ but can we really judge where we stand when the largest failing we had was walking the sidelines and has since been dismissed?

-If our defense is better coached this season (which they will be) will they spend as much time on the field...and therefore surrender the same number of yards and points?

-If our defense doesn't give up points at an exponential rate is our offense forced to play the same agressive style with so little running of the ball? Will this then allow us to kill more clock ourselves?

-Will we force more turnovers thereby putting us up in ballgames instead of vice versa....and then force opponents to play differently?

-Will an improved defense (and the presence of a dependable kicker) allow us now to "settle" for 3 points on possessions thereby putting us in a position to keep scoring throughout the game and be in striking distance late?

All of these things could prove to be untrue and we may still suffer lopsided or inexplicable losses...but I doubt it. I'm just saying, can we be so quick to assume that 3,4,or 5 wins is our ceiling?

Guest GrayEagleOne

You're right Emmitt, we really don't know. I wouldn't have it any other way. If I knew we we going to be really good it still wouldn't be as much fun as not knowing.

We're a lot weaker than we were on paper three or four months ago (loss of probable starters Gilmore, Horton, Edwards and Fentriss) but stronger and better coached than last year's edition. The offense knows the system better and probably has the full playbook. The defense is definitely faster and better coached. Maybe there will be another Robertson on this year's team.

Not knowing is a lot like religion; you have to have faith.

There is no doubt we will be better, but that may not necessarily mean more wins. Remember we got blown out in a lot of games last year. I personally think we still may be 1 more year away. My biggest thing is I want to see us actually competing a little with LSU and K-St and Tulsa and not losing by 60 or 70 points. And I want us to show improvement throughout the year.

Of course I want 6 or 7 wins, and I would be thrilled to death if we do. But being realistic, I just want us in ballgames and having chances to win and showing improvement week to week. I believe in Coach Dodge and I think good things are coming but it may still be a year away.

We will be better, I think the biggest problem in the past was with the recruiting. When UNT was on top we were still going after mediocre players. Please let me stress not all players were average, I do not need a recap on numbers, but normally when a team goes to a bowl, players line up to explore the university. UNT just kind of stayed the same, I mean Sports announcers in Austin were calling us Northern Texas State. So clearly if people three hours away didn't know our name then students looking to go big didn't know it either. With the changes made this past year look for a .500+ season.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I agree with what you say except about the sportscasters. If they call you by the wrong name they're either lazy and incompetent or its intentional. It's the announcer's job to know the proper name and location of the schools in Texas. They should also know that university's better players, including how to properly pronounce their names. If they don't do their homework any better than that then they do not deserve to be in a market as large as Austin. Hell, they don't deserve to be in any market.