The Arguments Against The Arguments, Part Deux

UNTflyer

You know, I love that there is another FaceBook group opposing the stadium because I think all students should be heard. But there is already some outright falsehoods being spread over there...

1. "We're not even Division I-A"

Umm, yes we are. We have been in the highest sports division in college sports since 1954. We became Div I-A in 1973 when the classification was formed. UNT briefly dropped down to Div I-AA from 1982-1994, partly to save costs. They found that the revenue was better in Div I-A, and made it easier to support football and other sports. So we moved back to Div I-A in 1995. So for 42 out of 54 years, we've been "Div I-A".

2. "Fouts will become an empty lot"

Just not true, look at the master plan (http://www.unt.edu/untmasterplan/). That land will be used for the future academic growth of the university.

3. "$75/semester increase." We don't know what the proposed fee will be, or how it will be imposed. I've heard some numbers, but nothing has been set yet. Whatever is proposed, it will need to be approved by the student senate, and then placed before the students in a referendum. It might be a flat increase imposed right away, it might be an increase that is incrementally increased... we just don't know yet. Lots of factors need to be considered, so let's not throw around numbers just yet.

4. "They'll pit students against students"

Hey, we would love for every single student to support this, but that just won't happen. Some people hate sports, some people are apathetic to our school, some see us as nothing more than a commuter school and will leave our campus, never to look back or contribute anything to their alma mater.

That being said, we welcome input and hope that this is a project we can get most of the Mean Green Nation to support. We're not looking to divide the students, we're looking to improve the entire university.

5. "Why can't we refurbish Fouts?"

People much smarter than me have already looked at this. The cost to renovate Fouts will be tremendous, and it would require significant revenue right now in the form of a huge student fee increase. Big increase now for the same cruddy stadium vs. small, incremental increases for the next several years for a new stadium? What's the better choice here?

6. "Why don't the alumni and booster club raise funds?"

Let me tell you... as a booster club member, I can assure you that the other MGC boosters CAN'T WAIT to give money to this stadium. They've been waiting for years for this thing. But put yourself in their position. Would you donate $500, or $1,000, or $25,000 to a building project if you weren't certain that the students will contribute their portion? The boosters WILL be there if the students approve the stadium.

We're also looking to get the BIG CORPORATE SPONSOR to help pay for a large part of the stadium. The entire costs will not be a burden placed on the students, but the students will need to contribute.

7. "I don't want my tuition to go up"

State law prohibits tuition from being used to support athletics. Any contributions from students must come in the form of a fee.

8. "Then the fee should be voluntary because I don't like sports"

I don't like jazz music, but I pay fees to support our radio station. I have health insurance, but I pay fees for the new Health Center. I don't ride the bus, but I pay that big transportation fee to run the buses. Why? Because I know all those things are great for the school, and so is a new stadium.

Remember, the vote in 2002 failed in part due to confusion and disinformation put out by those opposed to the athletics fee increase. We welcome constructive comments, but we will also set the record straight on the false claims in order for the students to be well informed when it comes time to vote.

Go Mean Green!

There's 1,007 now, haha. You gotta keep your signature up to date flyer.

Yeah, and that other group is now over 100. They will tell outright lies to stop this stadium from happening. One of them went on a rant about how Fouts will be abandoned and a memorial to wasted money. I don't know man... I think over 56 years we got back the investment in Fouts and much more. Some people just don't get it.

1. "We're not even Division I-A"

Umm, yes we are. We have been in the highest sports division in college sports since 1954. We became Div I-A in 1973 when the classification was formed. UNT briefly dropped down to Div I-AA from 1982-1994, partly to save costs. They found that the revenue was better in Div I-A, and made it easier to support football and other sports. So we moved back to Div I-A in 1995. So for 42 out of 54 years, we've been "Div I-A".

I can't remember the exact terms used, but prior to 1973 football was divided into Large or Major college school athletics and small college of which North Texas was the Large or Major since 1913. Regardless, other than our 12 1-AA seasons, North Texas has played at the largest division since 1913 of which our first game we ended up on the short end against TCU 13-0.

Rick

GrayEagleone can be more specific about the date when we joined D-1, but when divisions were first formed North Texas played in the small college division. We had several players in the 30's and 40's who made the "Little All-America" team. About the time that we joined the MVC (in the 50's) we moved up to what is now considered D-1 football. We played there until 82 when we moved to 1-AA, and then re-joined D-1 in the 95 season.

Edited by SilverEagle

Yeah, and that other group is now over 100. They will tell outright lies to stop this stadium from happening. One of them went on a rant about how Fouts will be abandoned and a memorial to wasted money. I don't know man... I think over 56 years we got back the investment in Fouts and much more. Some people just don't get it.

You had better get your best battle armor on Flyer, these students will stop at nothing to keep things as they are. We are nothing more than a glorified El Centro to them. The againsters will bring their A game, make sure your group does the same.

Alumni - adopt a student please.

Some get it, some won't. Most of those, regardless of what you tell them, explain for them, diagram for them, chart for them, will never get it.

I never get tired of reading through the Master Plan...thanks for linking to it. Has any work been done on Gateway Park, or is it still just parking lots? Last time I was in town I believe the mall in front of the admin building was pretty much complete.

I really hope I'm alive to see this plan finished

We are nothing more than a glorified El Centro to them.

Alumni - adopt a student please.

If that is the case, these people must have absolutely no self esteem if they feel that's the best they can do. If I felt a school was crappy, I would choose a different school. Its not that hard to get into any public Texas college (some have higher standards than others but still not too difficult). I could have gone to any of the public schools in Tx and I'm even a standardized testing dummy. These type of people aren't just unhappy with NT, they are unhappy with everything and will look for any reason to bitch. We have plenty of these people at work and they never get promoted, don't get raises, recognition etc. And they wonder why.

I really don't know, but the time to construct won't be very long. It is proposed as an 800 seat facility. Aluminum bleachers with a nice facade and a press box will be sufficient.

That is about all Arkansas has for thier track facility. It might seat a couple thousand tops, but it is just aluminum bleachers. I would be 100% satisfied with that. Now aluminum bleachers in a football stadium is a different story...