Bowl Possibilities

eulesseagle

Really, the PAC and Emerald Bowl have no good alternative.

ACC has picked up two new bowls, Mobile and Congressional. ACC #9 is pledged to Congressional but ACC has never had a bowl elgible #9 team. Would ACC pull its Emerald Bowl team and stay close to home with Mobile and Congressional?

SEC has its #9 team pledged to Birmingham. So no SEC team for Emerald. And Big 12 and Big 10 have been hard pressed to fill their existing bowl commitmentsk. BE is full.

PAC already plays MWC twice in Vegas and Poinsettia bowls.

WAC has its top three teams committed to bowls.

MAC has its top three teams committed to bowls.

So a SBC #1 or #2 is reasonable. Looks like the SBC will pick up a second bowl for sure, either Emerald, Boise, or Mobile...and it will be interesting to see if SEC will really have a bowl elgible #9 team for Birmingham...SBC has opportunities there.

The Emerald Bow has the PAC #4/#5. Would you as a BE fan be interested in it? Attractive bowl, attractive opponent, attractive city...but a long way from home.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

06-07-2008 12:57 PM

I am curious, would anyone on here actually travel to either San Fran or Boise for a bowl? I sure wouldn't, not with the game on TV. Even Georgia Tech only brought about 300 fans to Idaho. I hope that the Belt doesn't pay its way into either bowl, it is a waste of money in my book.

Belt's primary interest is bowls within the conference footprint. Article exerpts

Discussions for the Sun Belt's possible second bowl tie-in have included the Humanitarian Bowl in Boise, Idaho, and Emerald Bowl in San Francisco — both of which offer no geographic link to Sun Belt schools, predominantly located in the southeast.

Waters said a Sun Belt school could miss a prime opportunity at a regional bowl if the conference signed a contract with any western bowls.

"What happens next year if the SEC gets two in the BCS, and it can't fill the (Papa John's Bowl) in Birmingham," Waters said. "If the SEC can't fill it, then who goes there? Well, if we have an available team, it would be a prime candidate to go there. But if that team is already going to another bowl outside the region, then it can't go to Birmingham."

The Sun Belt, along with at least four other conferences, has reportedly been trying to land a spot in the GMAC Bowl in Mobile, Ala., which ends its contract with Conference USA and Mid-American Conference after the Jan. 6, 2009 game.

South Alabama, a Sun Belt member school located in Mobile, will begin its football program in 2009 and move to I-A status in 2013.

Most bowl contracts expire in the next two years, according to Waters. There will be 68 teams filling 34 bowls this season. Seventy-one teams were bowl-eligible last year.

What I would like to see the SBC work for in regards to a 3rd bowl is to start one in San Antonio as a secondary bowl to the Alamo much like we have done with the N.O. Bowl.

I like this idea but I'm not sure about starting a whole new bowl. S.A. is definitely a city that will support whatever sports you give them to cheer on but yet another bowl seems like too many and I think further gives the impressiont that we can only land the bowls we create. Perhaps if one of the other bowls that doesn't seem particularly "viable" went under we could propose a S.A. game as a replacement?

Guest GrayEagleOne

If San Francisco or Boise are what's available, then fine, take it but I wouldn't want to see either as our #2 bowl. The GMAC bowl should be an SBC bowl as it's in a SBC city. Just go for it.

I am curious, would anyone on here actually travel to either San Fran or Boise for a bowl? I sure wouldn't, not with the game on TV. Even Georgia Tech only brought about 300 fans to Idaho. I hope that the Belt doesn't pay its way into either bowl, it is a waste of money in my book.

San Francisco - Yes! I'd have to make a longer vacation out of it and drive to Tahoe for a couple of days of skiing.

Boise - No. Does Idaho even have an airport??

Guest GrayEagleOne

San Francisco - Yes! I'd have to make a longer vacation out of it and drive to Tahoe for a couple of days of skiing.

Boise - No. Does Idaho even have an airport??

Yep, and about four airlines fly from DFW to Boise. And as for skiing, Sun Valley is not very far away (around 100 miles).