N T Football - Mediocre Would Be Better

MeanGreen61

Defensively, junior defensive back Antoine Bush is the most notable of the six returning starters. I suspect that by this time next year (or the following), NT will be back into the top 100 defenses in the nation.

Considering there's only 119 teams altogether, we better be able to crack the top 100 this fall.

If by some chance, we manage to do worse, then there are bigger issues at hand than just the defense. But if my predictions are correct, NT stands a chance to move from a horrible team to a mediocre program at best.

Ok so he is saying that the NT celing is mediocre at best or is he talking about just this season???

Ok so he is saying that the NT celing is mediocre at best or is he talking about just this season???

Well if they mean at best they do not have a clue... UNT has way to many things going their way to stay mediocre. I kind of expect them to jump everyone like South Florida. UNT is part of a Big Market with a large student body. UNT just needs money and you will not be able to stop the snowball.

Edited by AnotherEagleFan

I think he probably meant "at the very least"... just misspoke. People butcher sayings all the time. It's not a big deal, let's not punch a dead cow over it.

But if my predictions are correct, NT stands a chance to move from a horrible team to a mediocre program at best.

No, I believe he said just what he meant.

This guy is going for shock value...trying to say something against the grain...you can tell he doesn't really know a whole lot about college football except what he can read off the internet.

Just a young kid trying to get his name out there. He is a douche!

I for one still believe TD and staff will get this thing to a 10 win season at some point in the future, but I am kidding myself if I really believe this team will win more than 6 or 7 games next season. This was a horrible defense last year and even though we have DeLoach now, we still only have DeLoach. I wouldn't say we have that much better players on the defensive side of the ball, and we sure don't have the defensive coaches we had the last time DeLoach was here. I think it will take us a couple more years to get back to where he was the last time he was here. That being said, I would have to agree with his assessment that this team will be mediocre at best this coming football season.

I for one still believe TD and staff will get this thing to a 10 win season at some point in the future, but I am kidding myself if I really believe this team will win more than 6 or 7 games next season. This was a horrible defense last year and even though we have DeLoach now, we still only have DeLoach. I wouldn't say we have that much better players on the defensive side of the ball, and we sure don't have the defensive coaches we had the last time DeLoach was here. I think it will take us a couple more years to get back to where he was the last time he was here. That being said, I would have to agree with his assessment that this team will be mediocre at best this coming football season.

I think that DeLoach can have a bigger impact than you are giving him credit for. Scheme can make players have more of an impact than they would normally have. We have a smart DC who knows how to put players in position to be successful. I think we will see a dramatic difference in the defense this year. Not saying that we will be top 10 or even top 50, but I think that we can sneak into the top 75. These players have something to prove this year, and we had some additions that will help a lot. If we can compensate for a lack of depth at DT, then we are in good shape to have a good D.

Guest 97and03

I think that DeLoach can have a bigger impact than you are giving him credit for. Scheme can make players have more of an impact than they would normally have. We have a smart DC who knows how to put players in position to be successful. I think we will see a dramatic difference in the defense this year. Not saying that we will be top 10 or even top 50, but I think that we can sneak into the top 75. These players have something to prove this year, and we had some additions that will help a lot. If we can compensate for a lack of depth at DT, then we are in good shape to have a good D.

I think a ranking around 75 is realistic. There is good talent here and coming in for fall and the new system should help as well. I think that the scheme will adapt to the strengths of the players, rather than trying to make players fit the scheme.

This guy is going for shock value...trying to say something against the grain...you can tell he doesn't really know a whole lot about college football except what he can read off the internet.

Just a young kid trying to get his name out there. He is a douche!

Haha, I think thats a bit harsh. Though I definitely think that the article was poorly written. A simple proofread would have been enough I think with some changes in the way it was written.

This article was pointless and stupid. It's stupid because it's pretty obvious we won't have what we had last year. The offense cut through other teams like a knife through butter, the real failings were in ST and D, and I think DeLoach has that covered now. So it's really stupid to go off on a rant about it now. If this article was written last November, then maybe it would still be relevant. Writing this article now is about as useful as writing an anti-Bush article in January 2009, and that probably stands no matter whether you do or don't like Bush.

DeLoach's defense did a lot for us when he was here. I think it'll be just as powerful as it was back then.

Interesting. I wonder what our record would have been last year if we had averaged 10 points less allowed/game. Even with our current staff, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that kind of improvement. And I know DeLoach is coaching for a shutout every week.

How does our current defensive staff compare to that '02 staff? We have Peterson still, right? I think he has some skins on the wall, but I don't recall who coached on that '02 defense.

BTW, we may not have a Booger or LB core like yesteryears, but this defense has a lot more depth than that '02 team. We've had two solid classes of recruits come in, and a horrible outing last over-shadowed the players potential.*

*I hope! :ph34r:

Edited by greenminer

This article was pointless and stupid. It's stupid because it's pretty obvious we won't have what we had last year. The offense cut through other teams like a knife through butter, the real failings were in ST and D, and I think DeLoach has that covered now. So it's really stupid to go off on a rant about it now. If this article was written last November, then maybe it would still be relevant. Writing this article now is about as useful as writing an anti-Bush article in January 2009, and that probably stands no matter whether you do or don't like Bush.

DeLoach's defense did a lot for us when he was here. I think it'll be just as powerful as it was back then.

good point. article seems ill-timed.

How about a DeLoach-centerpiece. an interview or something. I'd like to hear from him what he's got in mind.

good point. article seems ill-timed.

How about a DeLoach-centerpiece. an interview or something. I'd like to hear from him what he's got in mind.

How about a candid interview by the Barber Shop crew with DeLoach?

I was at least hoping for a interview with both Dodge and Deloach recapping the spring season on the Mean Green Premium audio.

When will either speak summarizing the spring of 2008?

Guest 97and03

Keep in mind this was written as an opinion piece. Trashing a student for writing this and calling him a douche is the equivalent of slamming our players. They are both just kids, doing their best. I hear people on this board constantly defending our football players, reminding us not to hold them to the standard of professionals. So extend the same courtesty to these student writers as well.

Save the vinegar and water for the DRC.

the kid who wrote this is probably a freshman or sophmore taking a journalism class for a grade and got assigned, by his prof., to do something sports worthy. the kid probably got his info off a couple of sports links and did a compilation story. evidently by what his opinion is he has never attended a UNT sports event.

i would not get all bent out of shape on this article ....it only has simplicity and no original substance.

I'd put a lot more stock in the kid's opinion if he could get the facts straight. Our lone conference win was against UL-Monroe

Who beat Alabama who ALMOST beat LSU who won the national championship!

UNT was basically #2 in the nation last year. I don't know what is up with all this "maybe we'll crack the top 100 next year" talk... we're already there!