About 12 minutes ago, Oscar nominations for 2007 films were released. I was really expecting some snubs this year from the acadamy, but short of their continued ignorance of the brilliance that is Wes Anderson...I think they did a pretty good job.

The major catagories:

Motion Picture of the Year:

Atonement

Juno

Michael Clayton

No Country for Old Men

There Will be Blood

-I was hoping the acadamy would leave off Atonement for being a cliche' choice, and included 'The Savages" but I guess with 4 other arthouse flicks they needed something tradiotional.

My Pick: No Country for Old Men

Lead Actor:

George Clooney (Michael Clayton)

Daniel Day-Lewis (There Will be Blood)

Johnny Depp (Sweeney Todd...)

Tommy Lee Jones (In the Valley of Elah)

Viggo Mortensen (Eastern Promises)

-Jones and Mortensen are big surprises, especially with Oscar faves like Tom Hanks and Phillip Seymour Hoffman out there, and Emile Hirsch's performance in "Into the Wild"

My Pick: Daniel Day-Lewis

Lead Actress:

Cate Blanchett (Elizabeth...)

Julie Christie (Away From Her)

Marion Cotillard (La Mome)

Laura Linney (The Savages)

Ellen Page (Juno)

-My respect for the acadamy grew exponentially by leaving off Julia Roberts. This is anyone's race.

My Pick: Ellen Page

Supporting Actor:

Casey Affleck (The Assasination of Jesse James...)

Javier Bardem (No Country for Old Men)

Phillip Seymour Hoffman (The Savages)

Hal Holbrook (Into the Wild)

Tom Wilkinson (Michael Clayton)

-Atleast on Affleck brother has some talent...but this catagory should be all but wrapped up by Bardem.

My Pick: Javier Bardem

Supporting Actress:

Cate Blanchett (Im Not There)

Ruby Dee (American Gangster)

Saoirise Ronan (Atonement)

Amy Ryan (Gone Baby Gone)

Tilda Swinton (Michael Clayton)

-The only love for one of the more creative pics of the year...I'm Not There. Blanchett gets nominated for her portrayal of a young Bob Dylan...but this is probably either Ryan's or Swinton's Oscar.

My Pick: Cate Blanchett

Director:

Paul Thomas Anderson (There Will Be Blood)

Coen Brothers (No Country for Old Men)

Tony Gilroy (Michael Clayton)

Jason Reitman (Juno)

Julian Schnabel (Scaphandre...)

-Shocked and elated to see Reitman get a nomination...he won't win, but its a big step for a talented director.

My Pick: Coen Brothers

Original Screenplay

Juno

Lars and the Real Girl

Michael Clayton

Ratatouille

The Savages

-An interesting group here...and this may be where the Acadamy chooses to honor The Savages

My Pick: Juno

Adapted Screenplay:

Atonement

Away From Her

Scaphandre et le Papilion

No Country for Old Men

There Will Be Blood

-The Acadamy strongly considers the integrity of the movie compared to the work its imitating...and nothing compares to No Country. The Coen Brothers worked with author Cormac McCarthy on the flick

My Pick: No Country for Old Men

Some other catagories of interest to me:

Original Song - Falling Slowly, written for the movie "Once" by Glen Hansard of the band The Frames (he also starred in the movie) is going up against 3 songs from Enchanted (should all cancel each other out) and a song from the little seen August Rush...I really hope Falling Slowly gets the nod...and really excited to see it performed.

Animatted Film - Its going up against the goliath of "Ratatouille"...but "Persepolis" is shear brilliance...but not very Oscar frinedly. Stranger things have happened.

Foreign - Austria's "Die Falscher's (The Counterfitters)" is greatness...but is in probably the strongest foreign film short list ever, so strong that the French film "Persepolis" felt more confident going up against "Ratatouile" than enter in the foreign catagory.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"No Country For Old Men"

Hands down, best picture. The Associated Press, for the first time in their history, unanimously picked this as Best Picture.

Couldn't agree more. Any year Wes Anderson puts out a film, its typically my default favorite of the year. This year, No Country just blew everything I saw out of the water.

How did "The Great Debaters" not get nominated in anything?

The Acadamy is moving away from films like this...heart-warming, based on a true story, over-coming adversity Brian's Song remakes...and the Oscar's have regained their legitimacy because of it. A Beautiful Mind was really the last of this type to win...and when Brokeback Mountain lost to Crash it really marked a swing in the ideology of the Acadamy. They don't completly distance, Atonement's nomination is proof of that, but they are leaning much more heavilly on "arthouse" and "indie" films, which have for years put out better films than big production companies and are finally getting love for it.

Edited by Censored by Laurie

I'm in with almost all of your picks, except I think Lars and the Real Girl will beat out Juno. Still want to see Depp and Mortensen get their props, but I don't think this is the year. Day-Lewis is a juggernaut, even when you consider talent like the other two. It almost seems like he only picks roles that might get him Oscars.

Am I the only one who was bored to tears by Atonement? I fell asleep halfway in.

And they said that Brad Pitt's only chance to win an Oscar would be from Jesse James...looks like he's never gonna win, huh?

I'm in with almost all of your picks, except I think Lars and the Real Girl will beat out Juno. Still want to see Depp and Mortensen get their props, but I don't think this is the year. Day-Lewis is a juggernaut, even when you consider talent like the other two. It almost seems like he only picks roles that might get him Oscars.

Am I the only one who was bored to tears by Atonement? I fell asleep halfway in.

And they said that Brad Pitt's only chance to win an Oscar would be from Jesse James...looks like he's never gonna win, huh?

I don't think Juno will win here...that pick was who I want. I think this is were the Acadamy will recognize The Savages...strong cast with actors nominated in other catagories against a relative unknown...if they're going to go off the top picture board for the screenplay I'd bank they'll go with something more recognizable than Lars...perhaps not deserving.

Had no interest in going to Atonement.

Pitt will eventually get a couple before hes done...especially if he sticks to these types of roles

Oh...well, who you want in most categories is who I think is gonna win. I haven't seen Blood yet, but if it's nearly as good as No Country, those two will be hard to beat in any category. Except maybe actress ones.

Also I want to be Daniel Day Lewis when I grow up.

For real! Guy comes out the woodwork every couple years and gets nominated for an academy award. He's been nominated for some kind of award in 6 of the last 9 movies he has done, 4 of which included Academy Award nominations. not too shabby. Oh and he apparently enjoyed the Crucible so immensely he married Arthur Miller's daughter.

Edited by Eagle1855

Couldn't agree more. Any year Wes Anderson puts out a film, its typically my default favorite of the year. This year, No Country just blew everything I saw out of the water.

The Acadamy is moving away from films like this...heart-warming, based on a true story, over-coming adversity Brian's Song remakes...and the Oscar's have regained their legitimacy because of it. A Beautiful Mind was really the last of this type to win...and when Brokeback Mountain lost to Crash it really marked a swing in the ideology of the Acadamy. They don't completly distance, Atonement's nomination is proof of that, but they are leaning much more heavilly on "arthouse" and "indie" films, which have for years put out better films than big production companies and are finally getting love for it.

Dude, Brokeback Mountain's loss nearly ruined the Academy's legitimacy in many circles. BBM had won an avalanche of critical awards, and some folks still scratch their head(including me) at it's loss just on the precedents that Crash broke when it won the top prize. I'm not debating the relative merits of those films(for the record neither was my choice that year) but just the stunning manner.

I would also say Atonment would be considered an art house release btw with it's budget and release pattern.

I also would say that the "typical" Best Picture winners that you spoke of are not "dead" . The Academy's choices ebb and flow towards and away from certain generes over time.

Edited by CMJ

What's the deal? No "The Game Plan"? They should give it best picture credit just to make up for screwing Cars out of the best animated last year. This will be the 25th year I will go without watching the Academy Awards because they are such a joke.

Rick

Wow.

I can only hope this is in jest.

Lead Actress:

Cate Blanchett (Elizabeth...)

Julie Christie (Away From Her)

Marion Cotillard (La Mome)

Laura Linney (The Savages)

Ellen Page (Juno)

-My respect for the acadamy grew exponentially by leaving off Julia Roberts. This is anyone's race.

My Pick: Ellen Page

Mmmmm....Ellen Page.

Original Screenplay

Juno

Lars and the Real Girl

Michael Clayton

Ratatouille

The Savages

-An interesting group here...and this may be where the Acadamy chooses to honor The Savages

My Pick: Juno

Mmmm....Diablo Cody.

Okay here they all are. Every year I try and see as many of the nominees in all the categories as I can. My best year was 2003 I think - I only missed the foreign films and Documentary short subjects. Being in LA, obviously I can find alot of the smaller things that are almost impossible to find elsewhere. I have alot to catch up on, so I'm sure my thoughts will change in the days and weeks leading up to the big night.

OSCAR NOMS

Best motion picture of the year

"Atonement" (Focus Features) A Working Title Production: Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner and Paul Webster, Producers

"Juno" (Fox Searchlight) A Dancing Elk Pictures, LLC Production: Lianne Halfon, Mason Novick and Russell Smith, Producers

"Michael Clayton" (Warner Bros.) A Clayton Productions, LLC Production: Sydney Pollack, Jennifer Fox and Kerry Orent, Producers

"No Country for Old Men" (Miramax and Paramount Vantage) A Scott Rudin/Mike Zoss Production: Scott Rudin, Ethan Coen and Joel Coen, Producers

"There Will Be Blood" (Paramount Vantage and Miramax) A JoAnne Sellar/Ghoulardi Film Company Production: JoAnne Sellar, Paul Thomas Anderson and Daniel Lupi, Producers

TWBB and NCFOM are both stunning achievements. I thought TWBB was slightly better, but both would be more than deserving. Most history points to either of these winning, but keep an eye on Juno which by the end of the day might outgross the other 4 combined. Until Crash the Oscar for BP had finished in the top 25 boxoffice for the year going back about 2 decades and Juno is the only film that has that chance.

Achievement in directing

"The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" (Miramax/Pathé Renn), Julian Schnabel

"Juno" (Fox Searchlight), Jason Reitman

"Michael Clayton" (Warner Bros.), Tony Gilroy

"No Country for Old Men" (Miramax and Paramount Vantage), Joel Coen and Ethan Coen

"There Will Be Blood" (Paramount Vantage and Miramax), Paul Thomas Anderson

The DGA(Director's Guild of America) award will make this all but final, but the Coens have to be considered the frontrunners. The DGA have bestowed their award onto the eventual winner of the Oscar BD something like 55 times in 60 years. They are just about the best bellwether there is of what the Academy will do in this category(and a few of the times they've missed, they've instead predicted Best Picture like in 2002 when Rob Marshall won for Chicago - with that film doing the same at the Academy Awards, but Roman Polanski winning the Directing Oscar).

Performance by an actor in a leading role

George Clooney in "Michael Clayton" (Warner Bros.)

Daniel Day-Lewis in "There Will Be Blood" (Paramount Vantage and Miramax)

Johnny Depp in "Sweeney Todd The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" (DreamWorks and Warner Bros., Distributed by DreamWorks/Paramount)

Tommy Lee Jones in "In the Valley of Elah" (Warner Independent)

Viggo Mortensen in "Eastern Promises" (Focus Features)

Daniel Day-Lewis should have this in the bag. On the other hand, the AMPAS(Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences) doesn't hand out 2nd LEAD ACTING Oscars often, so I do leave open the slight chance of an upset. Most likely by Depp who is on his 3rd nomination without a win, so he is the most "due"(Clooney & Jones also have Supporting Awards and this is Mortensen's 1st nom - and most times you don't win for your 1st).

Performance by an actor in a supporting role

Casey Affleck in "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" (Warner Bros.)

Javier Bardem in "No Country for Old Men" (Miramax and Paramount Vantage)

Philip Seymour Hoffman in "Charlie Wilson's War" (Universal)

Hal Holbrook in "Into the Wild" (Paramount Vantage and River Road Entertainment)

Tom Wilkinson in "Michael Clayton" (Warner Bros.)

Bardem has all the buzz and momentum. However, I'm gonna keep an eye on Holbrook and Wilkinson as they are respected vets without Awards.

Performance by an actress in a leading role

Cate Blanchett in "Elizabeth: The Golden Age" (Universal)

Julie Christie in "Away from Her" (Lionsgate)

Marion Cotillard in "La Vie en Rose" (Picturehouse)

Laura Linney in "The Savages" (Fox Searchlight)

Ellen Page in "Juno" (Fox Searchlight)

Probably between Christie and Cotillard with Ellen Page in close pursuit. Laura Linney could benefit from being the only American in the race(Page is Canadien).

Performance by an actress in a supporting role

Cate Blanchett in "I'm Not There" (The Weinstein Company)

Ruby Dee in "American Gangster" (Universal)

Saoirse Ronan in "Atonement" (Focus Features)

Amy Ryan in "Gone Baby Gone" (Miramax)

Tilda Swinton in "Michael Clayton" (Warner Bros.)

This is actually where Julia Roberts would've ended up for Charlie Wilson's War Censored, not in lead. The tea leaves say this should be between Blanchett and Amy Ryan. Not sold on either because of various factors. Swinton has been around awhile and Ruby Dee even longer. This is probably the toughest category in the top 8 to call right now.

Adapted screenplay

"Atonement" (Focus Features), Screenplay by Christopher Hampton

"Away from Her" (Lionsgate), Written by Sarah Polley

"The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" (Miramax/Pathé Renn), Screenplay by Ronald Harwood

"No Country for Old Men" (Miramax and Paramount Vantage), Written for the screen by Joel Coen & Ethan Coen

"There Will Be Blood" (Paramount Vantage and Miramax), Written for the screen by Paul Thomas Anderson

Between TWBB and NCFOM - gonna give the edge to Anderson because they'll want to honor both films.

Original screenplay

"Juno" (Fox Searchlight), Written by Diablo Cody

"Lars and the Real Girl" (MGM), Written by Nancy Oliver

"Michael Clayton" (Warner Bros.), Written by Tony Gilroy

"Ratatouille" (Walt Disney), Screenplay by Brad Bird; Story by Jan Pinkava, Jim Capobianco, Brad Bird

"The Savages" (Fox Searchlight), Written by Tamara Jenkins

Cody has been racking up wins, but Gilroy is respected. He also started the Bourne franchise, which is also nommed for a few awards(much like the '93 Spielberg pairing of Schindler's List and Jurassic Park where both got multiple noms and awards). So I could see him being honored in this category since his chances in the Top 2 awards are so slim.

I'll do more of the awards at a later date.

Edited by CMJ

Mmmmm....Ellen Page.

Ellenlong1.jpg

So cute...ever see "Hard Candy"? She can be one hardcore bitch too.

Mmmm....Diablo Cody.

34119403.jpg

Like a non-cracked out version of Amy Winehouse...so trashy hot...and I don't thnk Diablo has a foul odor like Amy. (I would fight through the smell)

Edited by Censored by Laurie

How the F did Paul Dano not get a supporting actor nomination for playing Paul and Eli Sunday in TWBB?

He should win that award.

I spoken to a few people, and the reactions was mostly "I am glad he didn't get nominated I hated that character/was disgusted by that character", and I just have to reply EXACTLY, he did his job so well you actually felt a strong emotion to his character.

I think Dano wasn't nominated for a variety of reasons. First off Daniel Day-Lewis is such a commanding presence I think many people almost failed to see how good the rest of the ensemble(not just Dano) was. A sort of related argument to that is with some of the other nominees - they were widely seen as the best facet(or at least most memorable) of their respective film. Also most of the guys who were nominated have been around the block awhile, so they have a natural "base" of support. I mean Hal Holbrook for instance has been in the biz for like a million years. All sorts of people in the industry respect him and his work.

Also Dano's performance really works for some people and not for others. You mentioned one way....alot of folks just didn't like his character. Others I know just felt Dano overracted his ass off.

So you throw a mix of five factors in and I think it helps explain why Dano might not have recieved enough support. He was likely close IMHO given the obvious respect the AMPAS had for the film overall.

• 4 weeks later...