After Sleeping On The Loss

Time to break down what went right and what went wrong. Lets start negativly:

1. Another slow start - This is now consecutive games that we've fallen behind by double digits early...and I don't know if there is a simple explination for it. Ben Bell's struggles could be attributed to the struggles out of the gate for this team, but I felt Bell put together the type of game he should have last night (7 points, 8 rebounds, 4 assists...he did have 5 turnovers as well) and the UT fans on their forum were impressed with his play. Could it be starting two freshmen? Josh got a quick hook after struggling with the UT press...Tristan forced some early shots...do the kids, as great as they've been, start out a bit nervous in hostile environments?

2. Collin Dennis - He has been horribly streaky. Three games with 20+ points, three games held with 6 points or fewer. Last night: 4 points on 2-7 shooting...and our other big game, OSU, he was 2-6 for 4 points. In order to be successful this season he needs to be more consistant...I think we've found who we're going to be counting on for points this season, White, Wooden and Dennis...everybody else are complimentary parts.

3. Turnovers - 21 was the final tally. I understand UT is very athletic and they pressed...but you had to anticipate that coming into the game. My one major knock of JJ has been his choice of how to break a press...the power forward should not be primary passing option.

Positives -

1. Josh White is a stud. He went point for point, and defended, arguably the best point guard in the country last night. I still don't think I'm comfortable handing the "point guard" role over to him yet as he is not a distributor...but this is just his 7th game and when he is on the floor he has the mentality that he can carry the team and that his team can beat anybody...and I think we're a performance or two like last night away from calling this Josh White's team. I've read fears from some posters on the Bo McCalebb comparrison that we could turn into a one trick show like UNO has been...or like we were in 02 with Chris Davis...I don't see that happening with the talent thats around him.

2. Keith Wooden - He is playing out of his mind right now. I felt he'd be able to score against Atchley and James inside...and he proved that after finally being able to be on the floor in the second half. I don't think the outcome of this game would've been terribly different if Wooden hadn't collected the early fouls as we couldnt even get the ball across half court let alone into the post...but the lack of a go to scorer in the post allowed UT to focus on our guards.

3. Heart - It may've only been one push this team made...but it was a hell of a push and it didn't come against the end of the UT bench. We showed last night that we belonged on the court with UT and that a better start and some headier passing and ball handling and the result of this game would've been drastically different...my hats off to this team and I hope that everything comes together and we take out some frusterations against a very mediocre Hartford team.

Good thoughts CBL,

The only thing that I kinda disagree with is your point about Wooden. If he hadn't picked up those early fouls, and was able to stay on the floor in the 1st half, I think the game could have gone differently. Those two early offensive fouls really seemed to cause the NT post players to play soft down there. We ended up having no inside out threat, and it made our offense (or lack thereof) very one dimensional. Couple that with a well executed full court press (when are we ever gonna learn how to press break properly???) and we had major problems offensively.

I felt that we really gained momentum and cut that lead down in the 2nd half because our half court game actually started to produce results. Early in the 2nd half, that was directly attributable to Wooden being back on the floor. When they had to start respecting the half court offense, their press seemed to take a back seat for a period of time. We started dictating pace in the transition game, and Josh really caught a hot hand.

In short, I feel that more Wooden in the first half would have been a good thing for us. After all isn't more Wooden all the time a good thing?

I agree with eveyone. Two thoughts (1) I think it took us some time to get use to the speed of the game. OSU is quick, but not even in the same category as UT's guards. This lead to the slow start and all the early turnovers. Once we adjusted, we played pretty even. I'm also worried about the streaky shooting of our guards. (2) We need for Quincy to start hitting the short range jumpers again and finishing down low. This team was strongest last year when Quincy and Wooden were a dual threat. We need that back going into conference.

Edited by GMoney

Foul trouble is part of the game. We don't have a replacement for Wooden when he is not in the game. If the guy has an off night, injury, foul trouble or need a blow, we're toast! JJ needs to find a big time juco center to replace him next year.

Do you think that Odufuwa can fill this role?

Foul trouble is part of the game. We don't have a replacement for Wooden when he is not in the game. If the guy has an off night, injury, foul trouble or need a blow, we're toast! JJ needs to find a big time juco center to replace him next year.

Quincy is capable...he is no where near as polished as Keith but Q has a soft touch and is a good offensive rebounder...I expected a breakout from Q this seaon and I still think he can pull his numbers up to double-double status. We are in 100% agreement that Johnny needs to find a JUCO bigman for next season. You can tell by the minutes Howerton is getting that he will never be a factor here, Stewart and Hogans are good energy players for 15-20 minutes. George will need some help up front. Cooley or Buford do you have any names JJ may be looking at to fill these voids?

Do you think that Odufuwa can fill this role?

He's not as polished a post as Keith, but he's more athletic...I think if he max's out his potential he could be a smaller version of Shawnson Johnson...but at the very least he'll be a moderate step up from Quincy. All this assuming his knee makes it back to 100%