Nope. I know someone who has lunch with the AD once a month, and has one of those top-level suites at SMU.

SMU is going to make up to $1.5 million available for the head coach job, and that means they are gunning for a nationally known head coach. What I heard is that Paul Johnson is the leading candidate.

Nope. I know someone who has lunch with the AD once a month, and has one of those top-level suites at SMU.

SMU is going to make up to $1.5 million available for the head coach job, and that means they are gunning for a nationally known head coach. What I heard is that Paul Johnson is the leading candidate.

My unreliable source (a Husker fan) thinks it will be Franny

I don't know any big donors at SMU. I do know some former players who have told me that the "Blue Bloods" as they call them are split on Johnson and that he has as many detractors as he does admirers among them. That of course doesn't mean he won't be selected, but there are rumors that they will be hiring a head coach from a BCS school and Navy is not a BCS school.

I don't know any big donors at SMU. I do know some former players who have told me that the "Blue Bloods" as they call them are split on Johnson and that he has as many detractors as he does admirers among them. That of course doesn't mean he won't be selected, but there are rumors that they will be hiring a head coach from a BCS school and Navy is not a BCS school.

An update on my previous post from last week...

I heard today from my source that the current coach being considered is such a big name that they are keeping a lid on it, not wanting to scare off any other coach who may want to be considered.... just in case he declines.

I heard today from my source that the current coach being considered is such a big name that they are keeping a lid on it, not wanting to scare off any other coach who may want to be considered.... just in case he declines.

Sounds like SMU isn't entirely confident they're going get their first choice.

Lou Holtz