DRC..NT in AZ for tournament..Illinois & AZ

OldTimer

Lady Eagles' Slinker seeks split in Arizona

12/07/2002

By MATTHEW POSTINS / Denton Record-Chronicle

A sign of youth.

That's what Tina Slinker calls her Lady Eagles' 57-46 loss to Texas A&M-Corpus Christi last Tuesday, North Texas' first of the season.

Slinker hasn't minced words with her team, either, with Saturday's 2 p.m. tip-off against Illinois at the Fiesta Bowl Classic in Tucson, Ariz., looming on the horizon.

After starting 3-0, the Lady Eagles (3-1) shot a dismal 28 percent from the floor against the Islanders, who shot just 35 percent themselves. That ended a two-game stretch in which UNT shot at least 46 percent from the field.

"Actually, I think it [the loss] came down to effort and intensity," said Slinker. "I think we've demanded it [more intensity] and the players have responded the past two days in practice."

This weekend's tournament represents the Lady Eagles' first real test of the season. A win over Illinois (4-0) Saturday could set up a potential championship meeting with Arizona Sunday at 4:30 p.m. at the McKale Center. The other tournament game pits Arizona against UC-Riverside on Saturday.

The Illinois game represents the start of a non-conference stretch in which the Lady Eagles will see teams from the Big 10, Western Athletic Conference, Big 12 and the Southeastern Conference, all before Sun Belt play begins Jan. 4.

In other words, the growing pains may only get more intense.

"I don't think losing is good unless you learn something from it," said Slinker. "For the freshmen, and even some of the veterans who are still pretty young, it [the loss] could be a wake-up call."

Kim Blanton continues to impress, as she is the only Lady Eagle in double figures in all four games. The 6-1 junior post scored 12 points against the Islanders Tuesday, but shot only 4-of-11 from the floor. Meanwhile, senior forward Angel Lewis was the most valuable player at last weekendÕs Century Tel Shootout in San Marcos. She's averaging 9.3 points and 6.0 rebounds per game.

"I think Kim has played very well," said Slinker. "Her and Angel both have been consistent, and that's what we're looking for - a couple of players we can rely on to be consistent."

To be competitive against Illinois, though, the shooting will have to improve. Slinker says they outrebounded the Islanders by about 20 on the offensive glass, but still missed second- and third-chance baskets. Illinois likes to press fullcourt, which Slinker hopes will play into the Lady Eagles' desire for an up-tempo contest. That means freshmen like starting point guard Erika Bobo and guard Jamie Armstrong (the teamÕs second-leading scorer at 11.5 ppg), along with junior Heather Trout, will be pivotal to UNTÕs success.

And Slinker's expectations this weekend? Well, she'd just be happy with a split.

"That's what we're looking for," she said. "If we go 2-0, I'll do cartwheels for you."

MATTHEW POSTINS can be reached at 940-381-9574. His e-mail address is mpostins@dentonrc.com