Sports Capital Of The U.s.

O.K., here's a question I heard on the radio driving to work this morning. Is the new england area the current sports capital of America, or what? Let's see...Boston seems on the verge of running away with the World Series, the Pats look to be shoe-ins for the Super Bowl at this point (O.K., you Indy fans can claim a right too) and BC just staged a great last minute comeback win over W. Va. last night and are what 8-0 now?

Man, what has happened? Has the earth titled a different way on its axis? Oh, I know. It must be either global warming or George Bush's fault, right? Seriously, what do you think?

No comments out there? Come on GMG posters...surley you have a thought on this. I thought it was an interesting idea to ponder, but hey, on to bigger and better...let's talk about lawyers! :lol: Just kidding...that thread is long past its useful life.

If not the New England area, where at this time?

Gotta be New England right now, no question. Not to mention the Celtics should be good and they've got a solid MLS team.

I suspect in the next couple years, it'll be in Texas... either Houston or Dallas- or both. (Dallas obviously having the current advantage)

Astros will bounce back, Rangers cant be losers forever.

Texans are moving the right direction in a tough division...baby steps (argh)... and the Cowboys are a legit contender.

Rockets are a piece away, Mavs just need to get it done.

UH is going to have a Boise-like year sooner than later, and I'm confident UNT's going to get it all together at some point in Dodge's tenure.

And if you're into MLS soccer, Dynamo won it last year, taking on FC Dallas Saturday in the playoffs on the road to another.

Edited by Eagle1855

I would say it would be the Boston/New England area or Dallas. The Pats and the BoSox have titles and will win more but the Bruins have not done much of anything and the Celts have been disastrous until this year probably. They have BC doing great but they dont have a MLS team or have the Nascar craze there. Dallas has the Cowboys, Stars, Mavs that are generally playoff teams every year and have been for a while now. The Rangers have been ho-hum afcourse but I think they are headed in the right direction. Dallas has a really good MLS team in FC Dallas and they have made the playoffs consistently. So on the whole while the BoSox and Pats are carrying the load championship wise, I think Dallas has more teams that are good and consistent playoff teams.

I don't see any reason why not.

Thats a good point CE....however I think the Rangers were going through an identity crisis for the longest time. They tried different things and it did not turn out well at all so they said screw it we are growing our own players. I honestly think in a few years Texas could be a team that can make some noise in October. I still stay that despite the Rangers having a very poor history since 1972, that the fans and support they recieve is excellent. Just gotta be patient and I think the Rangers will do something in a couple of years.

Trust me, as long as Tom Hicks owns the Rangers, they won't be anything.

Baseball America just currently ranked them as having the 22nd most talented organization (even after the trade deadline) and being the 27th best overall organization in baseball. NOT GOOD!

They just released the guy that SHOULD have been the manager, Don Wakamatsu. The guy that is the manager, should be the infield coach (though he's a great guy, Wash is a bad manager). One of the best pitching guys in baseball is available to at least help Mark Conner, yet he is coaching at Liberty Christian High School in Argyle...I am speaking of John Wetteland.

Jon Daniels has a bunch of computer guru's in the front office instead of baseball people. We need to do what the Cincinnati Reds are doing, and that is start over! New owner, new GM, etc. Look at the Reds. They started over in February of 2006. They inherited the 30th ranked organization in terms of talent, and had the 29th ranked organization in baseball. 1 1/2 years later, they have the 12 ranked talent organization, and the 17th ranked overall organization....not bad! Texas needs to do something...but the problem is that it starts at the top, and I don't think Tom Hicks will fire himself!

And if you're into MLS soccer, Dynamo won it last year, taking on FC Dallas Saturday in the playoffs on the road to another.

The phrase "MLS Soccer" is actually redundent ;)

While the Dynablow did win it last year, New England Revolution are two-time defending eastern conference champs, and most recently claimed the US Open Cup at Pizza Hut Park a few weeks ago. They are the #2 seed in the east, and have a good shot at getting to the MLS Cup 3 years straight. Classy team, and very classy fans.

Dallas has a really good MLS team in FC Dallas and they have made the playoffs consistently.

Consistently made the playoffs is the only thing we've been able to do, and in 2003-2004 were bottom-dwellers. The last and only cup we won (US Open Cup) was in 1997, although we've been runners-up in 2005 & 2007. This year things may change though; tomorrow night if we get past Houston we'll be in the Western Conference finals.

Edited by Coffee and TV

They have BC doing great but they dont have a MLS team or have the Nascar craze there.

They do have an MLS team - the New England Revolution. If they beat the Red Bulls tonight, they advance to the Eastern Conference championship. There isn't much of a NASCAR craze in Boston, but it is bigger in Northern New England, particularly in New Hampshire where of course NHIS is.

They do have an MLS team - the New England Revolution. If they beat the Red Bulls tonight, they advance to the Eastern Conference championship. There isn't much of a NASCAR craze in Boston, but it is bigger in Northern New England, particularly in New Hampshire where of course NHIS is.

Ah yes I totally forgot about the revolution....screw me.