U S A Today Mean Green Report

MeanGreen61

INSIDE SLANT

The league's worst defense made a point against Louisiana-Monroe, enabling the Mean Green (1-5, 1-2) to upset the Warhawks 31-21 Oct. 13.

North Texas turned three turnovers into 17 points, including returning two interceptions for touchdowns.

"Our defense stepped up against a quality Sun Belt offense," first-year UNT coach Todd Dodge told the Denton Record-Chronicle. "I am so proud of the way our defense played. I felt all along that before this journey is over that our defense is going to be strong. We took some shots, but we are doing a much better job."

Meanwhile, freshman quarterback Giovanni Vizza threw a 99-yard touchdown pass to the league's leading receiver, Casey Fitzgerald, as UNT ended a five-game losing streak.

UNT has made a lot of strides in Sun Belt play, only to come up short in losses to Florida Atlantic and Louisiana-Lafayette. However, the Mean Green played their best game of the season against the Warhawks.

The Mean Green play Oct. 20 at defending league champion Troy, which is unbeaten in the Sun Belt.

NOTES, QUOTES

—Freshman QB Giovanni Vizza made his second straight start and threw for 202 yards and a touchdown in a 31-21 win over UL-Monroe.

—Defensive lineman Monty Stevenson and defensive back Dominque Green had interception returns for touchdowns against UL-Monroe.

GAME BALL GOES TO: Casey Fitzgerald — The junior had six catches for 118 yards and a touchdown — a 99-yarder — in a 31-21 victory over Louisiana-Monroe.

KEEP AN EYE ON: QB Giovanni Vizza — In his second start, the true freshman threw for 202 yards and a touchdown and rushed for 66 yards against UL-Monroe.

QUOTE TO NOTE: "This is exciting. We've been working hard for and finally got a win. ... It's a big weight off our shoulders." — UNT junior wide receiver Casey Fitzgerald told the Denton Record-Chronicle after the Mean Green's 31-21 victory over UL-Monroe.

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

LOOKING GOOD: WR Casey Fitzgerald — The former walk-on leads UNT with 58 receptions for 845 yards and six touchdowns.

QB Giovanni Vizza — The true freshman played a solid game against UL-Monroe in his second career start. He threw for 202 yards and rushed for 66. More importantly, he didn't throw any interceptions.

WR Brandon Jackson — The senior has 44 receptions for 529 yards this season.

STILL NEEDS SOME WORK: Although North Texas played its best defensive game of the season, the group still ranks last in the league and must continue to improve.

UNT's offensive line allowed four sacks against UL-Monroe. The run blocking also needs to improve.

ROSTER REPORT: Senior OL Josh Alexander (knee) is out for the season.

Backup LB Bryant Seidle (shoulder) is likely out for the season.

Senior DB Roy Loren quit the team before the season began.

QB Giovanni Vizza — The true freshman played a solid game against UL-Monroe in his second career start. He threw for 202 yards and rushed for 66. More importantly, he didn't throw any interceptions.

I thought that Vizza threw one INT in the first quarter at about the 20 or so. Maybe I was in the wrong stands... :ph34r:

Two things:

1. I would have given the game ball to Joseph Miller. That guy was a beast the entire game. Keep it up!!!

2. I really hate seeing it being mentioned that beating ULM is a "upset". I know they were favored, but it really puts the state of the program in perspective when you read things like this.

Two things:

1. I would have given the game ball to Joseph Miller. That guy was a beast the entire game. Keep it up!!!

2. I really hate seeing it being mentioned that beating ULM is a "upset". I know they were favored, but it really puts the state of the program in perspective when you read things like this.

I can't see giving it to Joseph Miller without giving at least a share to Montey.